Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

New horn

Stebel Nautilus is the new horn.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=air+horn&search.x=0&search.y=0

Fiamm dual tones were on the bike before. One of the Fiamms died so I was looking for something else. I saw the Nautilus rated at 139 DBs and thought it fit the ticket. While it is a compact size(5.5x3.75x4.25") it was still tough to make it work in the old location. It would not mount with the Galfer two brake line kit so I went back to a three(stock style only SS) line set. It is loud! Some of the other cables had to be rerouted but it is looking good.

RB

Old 08-29-2005, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Did you need to mod the connection?

-Eff
Old 08-29-2005, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Good and clear pics, RB...thanks for posting.
I've got the same horn in a box on the bench waiting its turn.
Tell me, did you intentionally order the red one over the black? I did.
An air horn that dang LOUD has got be red, eh?
I'll be ordering 2 or 3 more for other applications...they're super horns.
Nasty when fired off in the garage. Ouch!
Did you use their relay or ersatz?
Clean layout on those ballasts, too.
BTW, when's the Ohlins front going in?
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 08-29-2005, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

cool; Looks like I need to change out my fiamms. I haven't seen the integral compressor approach before and I already like it.

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I like that, too. Is Griot's the only source for that particular setup? It's going to cost me $50 from them, shipped, gotta be a better price somewhere out there.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Effervescent-

Yes, I had changed the connector years ago when I installed the Fiamms. Old school relay direct to battery. It has been posted since that the stock horn is run by a relay which would save a little trouble but I have not checked the wiring diagram.

Don-

I don't know if Griot sells them in black. Red S/red horn=done.

When are the Ohlins going in? Just a moment, ah checked the weather report and it will be no where near 32 today in Hell. OK I am cheap to a point. At 45K the stocks are still on although I had the rear rebuilt. I am happy enough w/stock that there is a new set waiting to go on when needed(Ohlin owner takeoffs-cheap). I am sure Ohlins are wonderful but the price makes me wince and my bro-in-law has had problems with his.

lemec-

Find a friend and split the shipping, they are high. $10 shipping and I live 1/2 hour away. They are down by JonyRR in Tacoma, WA. I talked my bro-in-law into 2 for his sidecar and van so it worked out to 3 horns @ $5 per horn.

To All-

I did reroute the fast idle cable above the center fairing stay and zip tied it so it goes above the right side gas tank mount. Photos 3,4. It pulled across the horn when it was below the stay.

RB
Old 08-30-2005, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Barback King

whoa! that really BLOWS!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Is this the same size or smaller? Or, is it the exact same horn?

http://adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=STEBEL_COMPACT_AIRHORN&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns
Paul. '04 R1100S w/Íhlins an' stuff, '09 Buell 1125cr, '08 Suzi SV650A, '00 Suzi SV650, '97 328i (with sticky ass tires - I love this car even though its just a car). And the bikes I used to own: '68 Bultaco 100, '69 Honda CL450, '71 Kawasaki Mach III, '71 OSSA Pioneer, '72 Honda MR175, '72 Benelli 250, '75 Yamaha RD350 (then college), '83 Honda VF750F (then kids),'96 MZ Skorpion, '99 R1100S, '01 SV650 and '94 Honda VFR750F - most wrecked.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by lemec
I like that, too. Is Griot's the only source for that particular setup? It's going to cost me $50 from them, shipped, gotta be a better price somewhere out there.
I bought mine from a gentleman who owns a Sound Engineering company in the southern US. I paid $36.80 to my door back in January. I just emailed him to see if he had more in stock and if he would do a group sell...if anyone is interested.
Stay tuned.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 08-30-2005, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks RB,
next project.
Lane
Old 08-30-2005, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Counterpoint/yang/dark side
After a half dozen horn hits instead of the LS turn signal (too many other non-BMW bikes) I parked the horn next to the canister. When it's time to do something, honking the horn isn't on my list of options. I thought the original was pretty loud but I rember when bike horns sounded like somebody strangling a duck. In noise we trust.

Jim
Old 08-30-2005, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

pwillikers-

I used the old style(larger one on the right) on the link you posted. Didn't know there were other models. On the Griot page you can't even read the brand or model, I only found that info after buying.

RB
Old 08-30-2005, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Don, I'm interested, group sell or otherwise. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: