Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

"This lady says to mi wife words to the effect 'they shouldn't allow those things to exist anymore'."

JonyRR- Having gone to high school in Federal Way, I sort of keep track of the political environment up in Washington (state). They're almost crazier, in terms of wanting to control people's lives, than here in CA (who have closed down huge areas of desert). It is scary, and motorcycle types tend not to join groups and get organized, on top of being an "undesirable" minority, so we're very much at their mercy.

Maybe we could call a motorcycle an weapon, and therefore the Constitution (right to bear arms) will protect us.

Old 10-16-2005, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #201 (permalink)

As usual, posts that get into mutual name calling will be tossed.
Other than that, enjoy the debate.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 10-16-2005, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #202 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Quote:
Originally posted by JonyRR
there are no dangerous objects, only dangerous people, sometimes to themselves as well as others
That pretty much sums it up, but like u said, people like to blame 'things' instead of taking responsibility.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #203 (permalink)

Garage
wow...i got tossed.

i feel so.........special.

and irritated.

i wasn't told why i got tossed, and what i wrote didn't seem controversial to me at all........but tell ya what, just to insure i don't inflict this board with any more of my opinions/comments/suggestions/shared-knowledge again....

...i'm outa here.

.................................................. ...............................see ya!

anyone what wants to keep in touch: brad@bradzimmerman.com

Last edited by bradzdotcom; 10-16-2005 at 04:35 PM..
Old 10-16-2005, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #204 (permalink)

Roger- Can you please explain how whatever happened with Brad that could be regarded as "mutual name calling"? Doesn't that require a whole series of back and forth dialogue? If so, I didn't see it. Overtorque and his friends have been vomiting on us, and didn't raise a response.

Was it that he "called out" some politician? If so, that's fair game - they're in the public arena and plus, they deserve it.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #205 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

It does seem peculiar that trolls are allowed to join, poke and prod, even stay around, while others that are quite opposite get tossed.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #206 (permalink)

Garage
Wow...this thread has taken on a life of its own. I think that a lot of the discussion about choice of bike, cornering technique, riding apparel and the like is off the mark. When I view the series of photos that started this discussion, I see a rider who has allowed his concentration to lapse from the task at hand i.e. getting around the corner safely. I've certainly found myself drifting toward the center line or to the outside edge of a left hander when my attention was partly diverted to any one of a thousand things... the scenery...the rider behind or ahead of me...a quick glance at the instruments. Maybe you have too.
That said, the rider in question deserves whatever criticism he gets. He endangers not only himself, but maybe a passenger and certainly whichever unfortunate soul is coming the other way. This weekend a couple on a Harley were killed in Boulder Canyon when they drifted across the center line and collided with an oncoming Jeep. In a similar accident on the same canyon highway involving two sportbikes several years ago, one of the riders was decapitated.
Most people are simply not capable of maintaining the necessary degree of concentration to ride safely, even on the street.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #207 (permalink)
Biggest Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to gigantic Send a message via Yahoo to gigantic
Jony,
Overtorque's not Ben ******, his first name is Curt, apparently and he's a 38 year-old from Dayton, Ohio. not sure about much else.
check the map thread for an approximate location.
G, pelican private eye.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #208 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by dlong
This weekend a couple on a Harley were killed in Boulder Canyon when they drifted across the center line and collided with an oncoming Jeep. In a similar accident on the same canyon highway involving two sportbikes several years ago, one of the riders was decapitated.
Most people are simply not capable of maintaining the necessary degree of concentration to ride safely, even on the street.
Yes, and that accident back in 1998 is forever captured in chapter one of David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling." Actually it was a couple on their touring Suzuki heading eastbound in Boulder canyon, full protective gear, never crossing the center line, obeying the limits. Then a group of three sportbikers came screaming the other way, one went into the corner way too hot, crossed the centerline and essentially had a head on crash with the couple on the touring rig. The other sportbikes then also slid into the crash scene. Man was decapitated, and the wife died an hour later. I'm assuming the guy who caused the accident riding the sportbike lived.

There are bad riders everywhere. There are also good riders who aren't as good as they think they are. And then there are acts of god.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #209 (permalink)
Thread Killer

I didn't see bradz's post, but I sure hope its deletion was a mistake or misunderstanding. It would sure be a shame to lose his valueable input and humor on this board.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #210 (permalink)

I didn't see Brad's comments and can't say, though I will say he has always been funny and helpful. I certainly would miss Brad's input too and will keep lines open on a personal thread, BUT Roger's job ain't easy. And after the ****** incident we all need to be mindful of whats at stake. Though again I don't know what was said.

I was born a rightie but now I'm a leftie.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #211 (permalink)
Registered

Brad,
Come on don't go away. I've been tossed once or twice myself. Someones got to be the moderator and its no easy job I suppose.
Even buttheads like me will miss your insights. Rethink it and come back. Its only cyberspace yunno.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #212 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Carlton
I didn't see bradz's post,.............. It would sure be a shame to lose his valueable input and humor on this board.

What he said!!!
Old 10-16-2005, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #213 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dlong
I see a rider who has allowed his concentration to lapse from the task at hand i.e. getting around the corner safely.
That's true - I actually have a bit more sympathy for the guy now that I know a photographer sits there next to the road. Surprised it doesn't happen more often.

If fact, just today as I passed the Rock Store, I glanced into the parking lot to see what bikes were there. When I looked back, I was heading right for the ditch. Fortunately, by locking up my front wheel and hanging off some more, I was able to save it.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #214 (permalink)
Thread Killer

You waved, didn't you?...
Old 10-16-2005, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #215 (permalink)

trolling?

> Perhaps you were confused on what you saw or heard the guy
> say, judging by your "facts" posted since you signed up to troll
> here.

Troll? "How not to hang off" was the thread, and one of you claimed you should hang off to the inside on the street. Not hardly! Even on a Hardly Ableson, you gotta keep 10% in reserve by not hanging off. You have to.

> You're the one claiming no manufacturer made a twin with
> 130hp at the rear wheel in 1997. Okay. Now, you're updating
> to tell us what the 999/999S/999R makes?

Um, no, I mentioned the Duc imediately. Go back and read it again.

> What's the relevance here?

It was an "aside". Didn't really matter. But, you guys can't seem to find the beemer I'm talking about. What don't you understand about "offset headlights" and "sleek upper"? The pic you showed appeared to be a larger, sport tourer, with one large headlight and full bodywork. I was refering to a sleeker, shorter sport bike with an upper, and two small, round offset headlights.

Chances are, it's not the same bike, but can both have the 130 rear wheel hp engine?

And I really am talking rear wheel hp here. I always did, even when saying the 999R makes 130 to 140. And guess what? Cycle World tested the 999S at 129.4 rear wheel hp. So, I was right when I said it made 120 to 130 hp. And I said the 999R makes 130 to 140 rear wheel hp, and that's probably right, too, but I can't find the article right now.

Maybe the beemer made 130 at the crank, but I doubt it was at the rear wheel. It sucks when manufactureres chime in with their crankshaft hp, like the V-Rod's 120 hp, yet everyone testing bikes and everyone reading bike tests, go by rear wheel hp.
immaculate $10,000 sport bike, ridden only in nice weather on Sundays, Ti Akropovic, V&H Power Pack, Ohlins front & rear, kevlar lines, drilled rear rotor, carbon-fiber dress kit, clear brake/turn lenses, colorful double bouble, fender eliminator -

NOT!
Old 10-17-2005, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #216 (permalink)
Thread Killer

I've only been trying to figure out an explanation for some guy telling you he had a 130hp BMW. It sounds like you saw an R1100S, and you were mistaken about when it was. So, either he was mistaken about the bike's hp or he was talking about the K1200RS. Whatever. BTW, most people talk about crankshaft horsepower. It's a higher number, and it's provided by the manufacturers. Kinda like dry weight. If you're not sure what an R1100S looks like, try Googling it and click on images. We already know exactly what the bike looks like and how much horsepower BMWs make.

Here's another sugggestion for you. Click on this link, then re-read your posts (one of them only exists as a quote in one of mine, as it was deleted):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

I see from Ducati's website that they're claiming for the 999/999S/999R 140/143/150hp respectively. I forgot they boosted them significantly in 2005 and looked up the old figures, so I stand corrected.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #217 (permalink)

Bring Brad Z back!!!

Harold

By the way I just watched a rider fall down in front of me last weekend. Into a corner too fast (for his ability), locked the back brake and off the high-side he went. No serious injuries. Inexperience was the cause...
Old 10-17-2005, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #218 (permalink)

Since I've only slightly scanning this pyssing contest I'm confused why our responses are being subjectively sensored. I read Brads thread as and can see nothing worse than what others are saying except he talked about law suits based on tv or promotion adds. Please be consistant in moderation. If this thread is bs then pull it. Don't subjectively pull things because of implied intentions. Better yet email him and let him explain his actions.
enough said.
jeff
95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 10-17-2005, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #219 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

I'm still scratching my head as to why the regulars get booted while trawlers slide under the radar.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #220 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: