Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Joe
Good to cya back Brad........now how many times have you jumped over cars

Old 10-18-2005, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #261 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Welcome to the forums, bradzdotcom! Be sure to use the "search" function before you...
Old 10-18-2005, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #262 (permalink)

Isn't anybody going to enforce the on-topic rule? This thread is a mess.

He said panties.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #263 (permalink)

Quote:
[i]
you guys are worse than a bald, small-penised, single horny guy that needs a house re-fi.
sheesh! [/B]
dude!! why you pickin' on me now? and how do you know they're worse than me?

I was born a rightie but now I'm a leftie.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #264 (permalink)

How about this for "On Topic" on this Off Topic post.

You are struck by a car, out of control, or out of control on your own volition, when do you get off and how? Or if you are hit and are still on the bike should you ALWAYS try to save it, considering you DO know which way is up?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #265 (permalink)

Garage
i've never "jumped" a car on the street upon impact, but there was this spot at saddleback park where any mx maroon with a throttle could jump over a parked box van.

i did once centerpunch the front wheel on a guy's truck, and did the hands & knees crab crawl over the hood and down the other side, but that was more luck (and a 5mph impact) than incredible pre-planning. only had about half a second to decide, wasn't a whole crapload of choices.

as far as "when do you get off and how?"
kinda...ahem personal.

for me, it's been a learning experience. after a few hundred bail offs, you tend to get a feel for when to roll/leap off and when to ride it out. again, dirt exprience pays off big.

heading for trees, cliff, motorhome, boat trailer? vacate.
headed for dirt, roadside berm, soft hillside, bushes...what the hell, at least the bike breaks trail for ya. might as well hide behind it for a while.

i think you have to fall off a whole lotta times before you really know the correct decision. besides 90% of the time you bail off, you really don't have much choice...you're getting off, and all the grabbing, yanking and "trying" is mostly a waste of time.

if you watch the motocross/supercross pros jump off, they have a definite procedure: bars straight, hands off and up and then a little jump upward. if you look closely, you'll see they're really careful about their feet...they usually watch their feet on exit, because they don't want to get them tangled up in the bars and cables. but they usually jump off when they're already up in the air (with the bike), when it's obvious they're going to tank a set of triples. we see that a lot....'specially in practice, with those 3 digit dudes.

don't know if they still do it, but we used to practice on a ground-level trampolines wearing our riding gear and holding a set of bars. the idea was to get used to being disoriented from the ground, to learn NOT to put your hand out....which often breaks your wrist when the ground finds you again.

i've heard that ricky carmichael (bestest mx'er i've ever seen), practices hitting track-side hay-bales at his home tracks. he figures he's gonna hit them a few times each season, might as well practice slamming them and learning to cope.

wouldn't suggest you do the same with cars, unless it's your own.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #266 (permalink)

unsafe at any speed

Hmmm I thought we got rid of you... Thanks for hanging around
Old 10-18-2005, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #267 (permalink)
Thread Killer

All is well again for the frightened ducklings...

Old 10-18-2005, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #268 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Carlton
All is well again for the frightened ducklings...

Steve... that one duckling looks like a brown noser.... oops!
Never mind.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #269 (permalink)
Thread Killer

We used to sing a song called the "Wild West Show" that had one...

"And in this corner, ladies and gentlemen, we have the brown-nosed duck!"
"The brown-nosed duck? Aaamazing! Faaantastic! Tell us about the f***er!"
"Well, the brown-nosed duck can fly just as fast as the other ducks. He just can't slow down as well!"
(chorus)
"Ooooooh, no!
Aaand we're off to see the Wild West Show-o-o,
the animals and the kangaroo-oo-oos,
nevermind the weather, as long as we're together,
we're off to see the Wild West Show!"

Last edited by Steve Carlton; 10-18-2005 at 10:10 PM..
Old 10-18-2005, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #270 (permalink)
time wasting tosser

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
[B] Things like this I believe .....I've seen race bikes after dumping a rider go through a few turns at Loudon.........more then once.
Was it lapping faster with or wothout the rider?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #271 (permalink)

Just to clarify.
The fellow I was talking about is my cousin.
He does post here, he bought an S last year.

I don't need to be called a DUMMY.

I don't lie, I did not embelish the story.

Bye
Old 10-19-2005, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #272 (permalink)

Man,

I didn't know Brad was ever gone. I only pay moderate attention.

> after a few hundred bail offs, you tend to get a feel for when to roll/leap off
> i think you have to fall off a whole lotta times before you really know the correct decision.

Man, I'd rather not know if that's the price of entry. Ignorance is bliss

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 10-19-2005, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #273 (permalink)

Garage
sorry, but it's true. 90% of my get-offs have been on dirt bikes, but street bike rules apply...'cept there's more obstacles.

i've seen lots of guys eject when "all you had to do was....".
jumping ship is always the first reaction, but i've been pleasantly surprised sometimes when i held on and went along for the ride with the bike. sometimes it sorts things out on it's own. sometimes not.
it's just hard to make the call at the time.

professional fairing tagger randy mamola did a really nice "kiss the front fender, ride sidesaddle, crawl back on, continue to next corner". i don't have the video, but it's out there somewhere. in that case, i'd of ejected long ago. he stuck with it and rode on. (in my defense...randy is shorter...which is surely the only reason he's a better rider).

couldn't tell you how many times i bounced to a stop in a cloud of dust, with the bars banging through the dirt, clutch pulled in, front brake applied, usually on my stomach with knees/toes digging trenches. ask dirt bike guy motoyoyo...he's probably come to a stop many times with the reins still in his hands. sometimes you just never let go.

age is also a factor. jump off the roof when you're 12....probably okay.
do it at 45....probably dead.

see if you can find some little ratted out minicycle that you can stuff in your minivan/car trunk. find a little place to ride it and go around intentially doing simple, slow lowsides. then loop it a few times. you know...fall off the thing a bunch...voluntarily.
i think a lot of the "hurt" guys experience is because when they do finally fall down, even a simple tip-over, their whole body tenses up and things go snap/pop when they hit the ground.
when you can learn to relax and ragdoll with a dirt bike, you don't tense up and get hurt as much. same for street.

screaming helps too....can't knock the wind out of yourself if there ain't none there to begin with. (tip of the visor to "touchdown" lytle for that tidbit...it seems to work!).
Old 10-19-2005, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #274 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by levert
Just to clarify.
The fellow I was talking about is my cousin.
He does post here, he bought an S last year.

I don't need to be called a DUMMY.

I don't lie, I did not embelish the story.

Bye
Levert

Please don't take it personal........I believe what was told to you but how much is under that persons control and how much was controlled by physics is two different things OK
Old 10-19-2005, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #275 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bradzdotcom
screaming helps too....can't knock the wind out of yourself if there ain't none there to begin with. (tip of the visor to "touchdown" lytle for that tidbit...it seems to work!).
Good point. That's part of the reason all the "screaming" is taught in the martial arts.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #276 (permalink)

Garage
john~
the only problem with that trick is that, once established/passed around, it didn't take other guys very long to figure out how to use it against you.
someone would come barreling into a corner behind you screaming, and you'd think "oh gawd, he's screaming, so he's probably bailing off".
...and then he'd swoop right past ya.
after a while you learned to ignore it.

in mx/sx today, there's this short, quiet time on first lap/first turn. everybody is bunched together and off the throttle in the corner.
it's actually pretty quiet for a few nano-seconds.
if you stand on the inside of that corner, you sometimes hear all kinds of whistling, whooping and hollering coming out of some of the guys.
fun to listen to.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #277 (permalink)

30 years of surfing taught me never to scream before something bad is going to happen, You need all your air underwater. But i see the reasoning for land-luber activity.

OT ...and what about the urban legend while in a falling elevator if you keep jumping that you may hit bottom when you are in the air and not feel the full impact, was never very good at physics
Old 10-19-2005, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #278 (permalink)

Garage
elevator impact is the same, just a nano-second later than when the floor hits. don't worry....you'll catch up to it soon enough.

having a large group (30+ people) jump up simultaneously while in a plane DOES make the plane momentarily lighter, but the biggest factor is that giant thump you make when you all land back on the floor, which DOES make the co-pilot come flying out of the cockpit trying to look calm as he jogs towards the tail with a flashlight.
(air france dudes...got not sense of humor).
probably why we fly british or virgin these days on boring overseas hops.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #279 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by be_are_why
OT ...and what about the urban legend while in a falling elevator if you keep jumping that you may hit bottom when you are in the air and not feel the full impact, was never very good at physics
It simply delays the moment of impact by about 1/100 of a second. If anything, the impact would be even greater because the bottom of the elevator will be bouncing back toward you.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #280 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: