Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Brad- I dispute your nano-second. Is this still the Harley thread?

Old 10-19-2005, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #281 (permalink)

Garage
if you jump up, all you've done is delay your impact.
maybe lessen it by a gnat's pube, but it's still gonna kill ya.

you're just going to get there a tad later than the floor of the elevator did.

(stolen info follows):
For purposes of illustration, say your falling elevator reaches a terminal velocity of 100 feet per second. Even if you manage a leap of Nureyevian proportions, you'll only reach a speed of maybe 5-10 feet per second. (For purposes of comparison, a sprinter doing 40 yards in five seconds is moving at 24 feet per second--horizontally, of course, and with room to work up a little velocity.) That leaves you with a net downward velocity of 90-95 feet per second. In short, still Pancake City.

so....as always.....make sure you wave before tossing that harley too hard into the corner.
and polish the chrome up really pretty, cause it slides better and makes bigger sparks on your way down.

steve carlton says he's gonna teach jeff and I how to do the harley guy wave this weekend. we're getting lessons on friday. ask jeff to demonsrate his new skills on saturday for ya. i'm sure he'll be proud to show ya.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #282 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Quote:
Originally posted by bradzdotcom
having a large group (30+ people) jump up simultaneously while in a plane DOES make the plane momentarily lighter, but the biggest factor is that giant thump you make when you all land back on the floor, which DOES make the co-pilot come flying out of the cockpit trying to look calm as he jogs towards the tail with a flashlight.
(air france dudes...got not sense of humor).
probably why we fly british or virgin these days on boring overseas hops.
Tell me you are kidding about this one.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #283 (permalink)

OT elevator physics:

while working on the 55th floor in a hi-rise in NYC a bunch of us tech & design .com dudes would jump as high as we could right before the evevator would start to go down, the floor would drop out from under and you would end up smashed at the top of the 9 foot elevator ceiling then fall back to the floor {very fast express elevator}
loads of jackass style fun.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #284 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Joe
BTW.... I tried to change the thread title heading to the perpetual nonsense thread it only took on the first post........

the only problem with that trick is that, once established/passed around, it didn't take other guys very long to figure out how to use it against you.
someone would come barreling into a corner behind you screaming, and you'd think "oh gawd, he's screaming, so he's probably bailing off".
...and then he'd swoop right past ya.
after a while you learned to ignore it.

Hey Brad must be a dirt thing cause there is no way you can hear anyone scream over the sound of pipes and motor noise in RR even screaming in your own helmet....I guess.racing on dirt is like slow motion asphalt Since you got all that time for stunts....

Like they say... Dirt's for potatoes Asphalt for racing

Last edited by Joe; 10-19-2005 at 01:09 PM..
Old 10-19-2005, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #285 (permalink)
Biggest Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to gigantic Send a message via Yahoo to gigantic
Quote:
Originally posted by bradzdotcom

having a large group (30+ people) jump up simultaneously while in a plane DOES make the plane momentarily lighter, but the biggest factor is that giant thump you make when you all land back on the floor, which DOES make the co-pilot come flying out of the cockpit trying to look calm as he jogs towards the tail with a flashlight.
reminds me of when i was in the army, i was in an air assault unit. if we had a dickhead huey pilot (they were almost all dickheads, but i digress) we'd all stop in mid-air while rapelling down. it'd make the helicopter wobble in mid-air and really piss off the chief warrant officer flying the thing. all good fun though!
cheers,
Lance
Old 10-19-2005, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #286 (permalink)

Garage
sergio~
no, we did it a few times...coming back from european flights where we booked a bunch of seats.
we also tried running from side to side, front to back. didn't seem to be noticed.

and yes, jumping up and down really ticked off the guys up in the very front seats.
i guess it's more of a floor thud that they can feel, since that "floor" you're sitting on is only a few inches thick, with all that cargo space below it.
it's why we don't fly air france no more. they filed a complaint, or something.
now, we mostly ride "virgins" overseas and back.

joe~
yea, it's mostly dirt. everybody is compacted into a small area in the first turn right after the start, and just about everyone gets off the throttle at the same time, and onto the brakes. it gets really quiet for a brief time. road racing does it too, but they guys aren't packed in as tightly.

bry~
where's the building. i'd like to stand amidst a bunch of suits and try that. think it'd raise an eyebrow? maybe spill a starbucks?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #287 (permalink)

Which unit there gigantic.
I was in the 101st.
The air assault school sucked. The rappelling was fun, but I bolo'd out twice with stress fractures, desite being a pretty accomplished distance runner at the time. Running in shorts and good shoes I could handle. With a ton of gear and rock-hard boots, I was pretty useless. And yes, the huey and blackhawk pilots were mostly dicks. The chinook guys were OK. We parachuted out of those weekends on our freetime.
Cheap jumps for sure.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 10-19-2005, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #288 (permalink)

Garage
little known fact:
pelican member/r1100s owner sandcityflyer is one of those guys that parachuted all the time throughout his career...in big groups and all that stuff.
i believe he's still the only "civilian" to jump as part of an official precision military para team.

(he threw me off a cliff with a paraglider, so i'm hoping he didn't make all this stuff up. i survived, so i tend to believe him.).

i think he used to pack chutes for guys too.
(not somebody you'd wanna tick off, eh?).

i saw a guy get a "medal of honor" or some such thing for catching/grabbing another guy on the way down when the other guy's chute and reserve went belly up.

on stage during the ceremony the hero guy says: "I don't think i really deserve this medal. to tell ya the truth, between the two of us, i wasn't really sure who's chute hadn't opened, and i damn well wasn't gonna let go of him to find out."

how this relates to harley fools sliding off, i have no idea.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #289 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Only jumped out of a perfectly working airplane once. I swore I'd never do that again, especially since I got a sorta vertigo issue. Either way, it's nucking futz!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #290 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Congratulations.

You are now #7, soon to be 6.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #291 (permalink)

Garage
since this thread appears to be "slightly" wandering off the harley dude.....

...you all DID know that this is National Chain Saw Safety Month......right?

just in time for halloween.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #292 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Joe
what kind of premix do you use

To Keep on topic click here.. http://www.netdisaster.com/go.php?mode=chainsaw&url=http://www.roadrashed.com/Track%20Pics%20and%20others/harley_looking%20good.jpg

give it time to load

Last edited by Joe; 10-20-2005 at 06:26 AM..
Old 10-20-2005, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #293 (permalink)

Garage
premix?
probably the same thing you use: bel-ray mc-1 at 100:1 ratio, unless it's competition day, then it gets jacked up to 250:1 and we sneak in some VP racing fuel (a few drops of perfume in the tank can mask the smell).
tried turbocharging.....too heavy.

once saw a note from a guy who was in some chainsaw unlimited competition in pacnorwest. he was using a yamaha YZ250 motor (minus gearbox), but the guys with the snowmobile motors were beating him. wanted some trick porting specs to make his run bettah. wanted to be sponsored too. funny part was, the next event he was competing in was called the "Chainsaw & Beer Festival".
yea, that makes lots o' sense.

don't forget girls & boys: carving a pumpkin with your chainsaw is an american tradition!
Old 10-20-2005, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #294 (permalink)

> Most folks can't get up two feet under the best of condtions
> with plenty of time for leg muscle coiling and focus. You'lll splat
> like a bug long before your ass clears the seat. Far better to
> look for a way around.

Very true, however in high school I used to routinely high jump my own height, 5'10", and sometimes 5'11" or 6'.

However, my vertical jump was NOT! 5'10". You see, only my center of mass had to get up to 5'10" (plus 4" for my big rear) b/c of the way you flop over the bar. My CM starts out at 3.5 feet, so I really only jumped 2.5 feet (plus 4").

At the age of 35 my vertical leap was just under 2 feet, as tested a hundred times with a yard stick and friend. However, I could still hurdle a 5 foot fence. No flopping required. Go figure!

Also, if you skydivers out there can attest, or if you've ever stood up on a bike with the cruise control on, or if you've ever used your body as a sail to steer a bike with cruise control on, the wind is your ally. Jump up with head forward of your hips, and you can do what pilots call a zoom - momentary gain in altitude by pitching up the nose.

And, the pegs are already 10" off the ground.

Add all these up: 10" high pegs, 2 foot leap, 3 foot high CM, a high jump flop, and a nice 120 mph wind aiding your zoom, I believe my friend could leap over a Dodge Ram 3500 van, let alone a regular car.

However, as a roadracer, my natural instinct is to turn at speed.

In fact, I usually turn into the side street where the guy/girl just pulled out from. That's why I recommend the little bikes, you can turn into a side street at 35 mph, while slowing down to 25 mph trail braking with engine or brakes.

Some minivan turned left (head-on) in front of me last week, and I was doing 35 mph while passing an SUV who was slowing down to turn left. Neither of us saw each other until we were head-on in my lane. Instead of braking, bailing, or laying it down, I just moved to the double yellow.

The little bike turns so quickly, I was no longer pointed at the van in no time, which was a moment before the minivan nose-dived. In fact, as I was passing his 4000 pound hunk of $ h i t, I was wondering why he even hit the brakes - we were no longer coming at each other head on.

And, I assume he was already on the brakes for his turn, so the little bike was able to change trajectory in less time it took this guy to react and push hard enough on the pedal to try a van-stoppie. Cagers are posers.
immaculate $10,000 sport bike, ridden only in nice weather on Sundays, Ti Akropovic, V&H Power Pack, Ohlins front & rear, kevlar lines, drilled rear rotor, carbon-fiber dress kit, clear brake/turn lenses, colorful double bouble, fender eliminator -

NOT!
Old 10-20-2005, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #295 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
In fact, I usually turn into the side street where the guy/girl just pulled out from.
the old "go where they aren't, or aren't gonna be when YOU get there."

i'll admit to ending up on sidewalks and in people's yards at the finale of an avoidance maneuver.

little bikes are too cool. i miss the ysr50. bestest crotch rocket/ankle biter ever. get a group of 'em together, find a go-kart track (or parking lot) and laugh all day.

('87 usa version):

'99 canadian version:
Old 10-20-2005, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #296 (permalink)

Way OT, Brad Brought It Up!

This BradZ can ride, dive, and fly! Here are a couple of pics of him during his visit to Monterey in March. He worked his tail off for two days, learning the basics, and finished off with several excellent flights. Great student, with lot's of raw natural talent. Now, when ya coming back to learn to soar???

jm
Shiny Bike, Sunday Poser

Learning To "Kite"

Success!

Postflight Bliss
09 Ducati M1100S
Old 10-20-2005, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #297 (permalink)

On Bingo's Yosemite trip with the group, I paid a little visit to the trees (when I took the wrong turn before lunch). Going into a turn that hadn't seen traffic in a long time, I saw it was COVERED in sand. I had to quickly choose whether to turn and (probably) go down, or just go straight. I saw some gaps between the sapplings, so I went straight. It worked, but glad no one saw it.

The thing about motorcyclists vs. mini-vans (overtorque's experience) is that we must be constantly "in the moment" so we can make these decisions in time. His mini-van finally hit the brakes when it no longer mattered.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #298 (permalink)

Garage
jerry~
i'll be back up there just as soon as i've worn out that chick you let me take home as a souvenir.

john~
glad no one saw it? shouldn't be. i would have applauded the decision and you would have been honored with the "Christoper Columbus Award" at ride's end, in recognition of your exploratory habits.
(if nobody goes off road, we give the CC award to the guy who got lost the most).

Last edited by bradzdotcom; 10-20-2005 at 08:07 AM..
Old 10-20-2005, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #299 (permalink)

Hey, I could have won on either count. Cool shots on the beach. Does that thing have enough lift to pick up an S?

Old 10-20-2005, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #300 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: