Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by bikerfish1100
look close at pic 2; left index finger is covering the brake, other 3 are wrapped around the grip- ergo: no front brake application at that point.
*cough-cough* Left hand covering the brake?

Don't you mean covering the clutch?

-ChaZ

Old 10-05-2005, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Joe
FYI.....

Darryl Cannon aka "killboy" said...
Nah he rode off...it was a pretty gentle low-side. He had some rash on his side, just below his armpit.

Wed Aug 24, 05:18:47 PM 2005
Old 10-05-2005, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

This is a fantastic example of a complete dumba$$ if I ever saw one. I won't rehash the observations of the timeline, but clearly this guy did just about everything wrong. When the front wheel locked, I'll bet that scared the heck out of him - I know I would have.

The father of one of my Daughter's friends rides an old HD. This guy is so thin skinned about issues of the power and speed of his ride. I avoid discussing anything specific about my bike because he gets this strange look. One time he asked me (sort of a challenge really) if my bike was faster than his. I tried to dodge the question since he always seems close to an explosion. Ultimately, I had to telll him: "Well, it is a modern sportbike, so it probably would be a bit quicker". What I was really thinking though was: "Are you joking? That POS has less than half the power and torque and significantly more weight. Of course its faster! Your bike couldn't cross the ton if a semi was pushing it. All I have to do is crack the throttle and I am on my way to jail."

I am impressed with the pictures. They are really great shots. I would normally think that this was staged except the rider doesn't look like the type.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe

Darryl Cannon aka "killboy" said...
Nah he rode off...it was a pretty gentle low-side. He had some rash on his side, just below his armpit.
I'm glad he wasn't seriously hurt. Easier to laugh at his "priceless" moment. Maybe he'll learn something to go along with his new wallpaper in pic #1.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

"OWN THE ROAD"!! no,... I mean really "Own the road mixed into your epidermis/dermis! All he had to do was ask the average person's advice before attempting a SuperDave maneuver.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rob_wijhenke
Was he actually wearing a helmet or did he just paint his bold head black?
that's all the rage now, you can by a HD factory authorized Sharpie pen and scribble on your bald head, the ultimate protest helmet, but that is for the HD poseurs {ie dentists in leather} the true 1%'s go all the way and get there heads tattooed. when they get to a no helmet state they strap that dew rag on their head to conceal the tattooed helmet. Those guys got it all figured out.

There is no "off position of there genius switch.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

You guys are killing me. Needed a good laugh today! LOL
Great photography..
Old 10-05-2005, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

The only objection I'd have here with Mr. "my gene pool needs more chlorine' is if his stupidity endangered me. Hopefully this foolishness just cleanses the world of another fool, but it's the 'those motorcycles are so dangerous and they should be outlawed' factor that plays here in a negative way.
I'm not sure who is giving the collective 'US' a worse image...the hooligan sport rider doing a standup 90-mph wheelie down the freeway at rushhour, or 'chainsaw the 1%er' stockbroker with a loud hardley, fake 'tude and no riding skills.
great picture spread! just desserts, for once, as long as he didn't take out anyone innocent. Lately the single-vehicle motorcycle crashes I've observed have all been cruiser/hardley types...except for one, very competent rider who's now in my sig line, and he just made one mistake he couldn't afford to make, in a place he couldn't afford to make it, and he as as good a rider as any 10 of us put together.
Stay safe out there, all of us, so we don't give the newspapers a story to print or the general public a rant to bitzh about...

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

As you guys know, this has popped up on most likely every motorcycle related board in the country.

What I find disturbing, is that this bunch has the arrogance and audacity to laugh at someone's misfortune, regardless of wether he made an error in judgement or not.

More than likely, I'm pretty sure that at one time or another, a rider on a BMW has wrecked. Matter of fact, once I followed an ambulance to the hospital on a Beemer who's rider went down. Didn't laff at him either.

Yep, I ride. Since the early 70's. Hondas, Triumphs, and currently there are four Harleys in the garage. Matter of personal preference. Everybody on a Harley knows it is as aerodynamic as a cement truck, and not the fastest out of the crate. Most Harley riders just don't care for the stigma attached to the Beemer cult. You fellas personify that.

Last edited by Bigga Petey; 10-05-2005 at 10:47 AM..
Old 10-05-2005, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
we laugh at ourselves when we crash too, at least when it's a stupid maneuver like this one.

read through some of the threads, you'll see us poking fun at each other constantly.
the guy fell because he was stupid. i find that funny.
i find it funny when i do the same.

and we're arrogant? good lord, have you ridden with those hardly ableson posers? many that i've met are not only inexperienced riders, they're pretty damn proud of themselves and act mean and tough, for reasons i've never understood.
and it's the one group of riders that in my experience, consistently has a greatly enhanced opinion of their riding abilities.

there's a stigma attached to the beemer cult? wow, maybe i should get a harley. doubt there's any stigmas going on there.

i agree with you though: there's people who ride motorcycles and there's people who ride harleys.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

So, all you guys with your superiority complex are better than all the Haley riders with their supperiority complex? Some poeple who ride Harley's are morons...some great folk, some poeple who ride BMW's are morons...some great folk....

You guys seem guilty of having the attitude you condemn!
Old 10-05-2005, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

The last few rides I've been on have been solo. Generally, I ride solo unless I know the people I ride with and am comfortable with their skills, not because I'm arrogant, but because in a group situation, one rider's issue can quickly turn into several riders' issue and I DON'T like being taken out by someone else's stupidity. All I can say is my observations are made by the empirical method; that is, 'what is, is, not what we want or think it to be' and my empirical observation of the VAST MAJORITY of the 'cruiser crowd' is that they are truly indeed 'poseurs'...defined as very low-hour-in-the-saddle riders who generally have never have owned something other than a large cruiser-type machine. very marginal weara\ing of proper protective gear, and MOST IMPORTANTLY a very cavalier attitude about thier own and OTHER'S safety and an overinflated opinion of their riding ability, aided and abetted by the ingestion of ethanol alochol..a sure recipe for disaster. That's the truth as I see it and that truth has been backed up by observations of cruiser crashes each and every ride for the last 3 weekends. Perhaps and unpalatable truth, but that's it...my down-the-street neighbor, Mr. big harley guy, has exactly 2 years in the saddle, his first ride an ego-glide and constantly has a 1/2 full bottle of JD in the saddlebag; I NEVER ride with him and have quit trying to talk some sense into him (you

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

can only reason with reasonable people).
and BTW, the last pack of MORONS who passed me, going 30+ over on a winding road, against traffic, generally raising a ruckus and pizzing off the civilians AGAINST ALL MOTORCYCLES, were hardley-ableson riders, and 5 miles up the road, a couple of 'em were in the ditch, 'cleaning the gene pool' and serves 'em right.
If I wanted to, I could have passed each and every one opf 'em fast enough to flatten theier eyeballs. I chose not to...ON A PUBLIC ROAD. Wanna impress me, Mr. 'chainsaw' cruiserBOY, let's go to a RACETRACK and I'll run your 'Americas FINEST hogeoglide' with my BMW, or perhaps a little 250CC 2-stroke twin; I got a cool 1K american that says your street harley wouldn't stand a chance against me on a RACETRACK...the street is NOT a racetrack and I'm getting sick and tired of BOZOS who paste themselves AND OTHERS and make us ALL look evil in the eyes of joe public, who are starting to get annoyed enough to demand legislation banning US ALL, and if you think that's NOT happening, ya ain't paying attention to current events. IF I'm my riding brother's keeper, I'm starting to shout, loud and long, about the clueless fool drooler idiost who are ruiing it for the rest of us who DO have the skill and adult restraint to NOT paste ourselves AND OTHERS in PUBLIC. end of rant. this time.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Oh no, not another "gene pool" comment...

I'm just glad that the guy who fell off his bike is ok and that he learned something from it. I'm also glad that somebody here posted the pictures so we all can learn from the incident and apply that to our riding skills.

It doesn't matter if it's a harley, beemer, or whatever as long as it's still a motorbike. Anything with 2 wheels will do and of course ALL motorcycles of any kind or brand have been in accidents, regardless of rider's skills or lack thereof.

Please let's not flame each other. Let's remember our friend, Shannon who died in his accident. Why is it easier to say "gene pool" to a stranger and we don't say that when it comes to our friends? Think about it, every strangers have family, friends, and riding buddies. Let's just be glad he came out of it fine.

-ChaZ
Old 10-05-2005, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
jony~
i also prefer to ride solo (or have someone "back there" as clean-up) most of the time.
i'm also starting to get too old to watch out for the other guys coming the other way who are pitching things down the road.

maybe we're all morons, but when i do go on a group ride, i like to pick the morons that have more-than-average riding skills.

that seems to eliminate the cruiser folks for the most part.

if i had to pick two of the more experienced groups, it would be the moron sport riders and moron sport touring riders.

yep, they're all idiots. and arrogant. but at least most riders in those two groups above can be counted on to be able to "ride it out" if they take a hand off the grip for a second.

of course, what do i know. i ride a bmw. apparently i'm an arrogant moron.
if i buy a slow, ill-handling, low-ground clearance, chromed-out cruiser... what do i get to be then?
and when i ride other bikes for any length of time, will i lose my arrogant status, or just my moron status, or both?
if i have a corvette, zub-zero fridge or co-habitate with a black french woman, will my status change?

i still find it funny that attempting the simple act of waving/pointing at someone is enough to put a rider on his head.
i'm sure i too, at some early point, was not a good enough rider to be able to do that, but i sure as hell wasn't on a cruiser bike, on a twisty road when i was that inexperienced.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

XA3
I say gene pool regardless of who or what. read my first post, I alluded to a sport rider who made a mistake when and where he shouldn't and paid the ultimate price for it. He was better than you, I and 50 other boarders here put together (if you google 'keith pinkstaff' you'll see what I mean) but he went over the edge, just once, just wrong enough to buy a dirt nap, and no amount of lamenting will bring back a so-talented rider. With the increasingly-crowded roads out there, with cellphone and indash-mounted-dvd-player-adled soccermoms, it behooves us all, sport, tour, cruiser, to be a little more adult about oru riding. I've noticed the cruiser-types, nowadays, tend to be 'poseurs' and that personality type has minimal self-awareness and tends to blame others for everything that happens to them instead of taking personal responsibility...like wearing real riding apparel or taking a training course or NOT riding drunk.
This WILL affect us ALL; notice the little bill that's trying to get passed so insurance companies don't have to pay hospital bills encurred when riding a motorcycle? 'connect the dots', as a lawyer fried says.
And I rag on the down-the-street stuntrider kid on his gixxerthingie as he blasts my 5-mph curve like it was the corkscrew. Equal opportunity curmedgeon here

Old 10-05-2005, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Did Bigga Petey join the group just to add that comment? I tend to agree with him, a little. But I thought this was a forum for R1100S owners.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this guy's left hand being off the grip caused this accident. Looks like he was leaned over to about the limit in pic #1.

In pic #2, his hand is on the grip. I think the cause of this accident was his high-centering his bike from leaning too much. Which was probably caused by going too fast and showing off for the camera. I don't think showing off for the camera is exclusive to Harley riders, and I don't think inexperience is, either. To me, all riders are riders. Every "family" has their black sheep- sportbikes/squids, Harleys/posers w/attitudes, beemers/me. This poor guy made a mistake, and paid the price. On a different bike, he would of had more clearance and been fine. He should have known better, sure. That happens to all of us sometimes. I'm sure he'll hit the road next time a little more aware of his bike's limitations.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigga Petey
...Most Harley riders just don't care for the stigma attached to the Beemer cult. You fellas personify that.
By laughing and making fun of the slapstick quality of that photo sequence? Puleeeze!

You say "this has popped up on most likely every motorcycle related board in the country." Are we the only ones 'arrogant and audacious' enough to be getting a belly laugh out of it? Please provide links to the sites you've seen with the attitude you expect.

It's different viewing this on a computer screen than being there. I'm sure most anybody on this board would has helped this guy out if they had witnessed this, without laughing.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by bradzdotcom
the really interesting part: doesn't he just look like every third HD rider you see? black t-shirt with logo, the helmet, sunglasses, moustache and those gloves that make you wonder "what the hell are you thinking?"
Altogether now...."WE'RE ALL INDIVIDUALS"

I knew it would happen, just not so soon...........
Old 10-05-2005, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: