Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

GPS tracking

O.K. a serious question, has anyone researched or carried a GPS locator?? I am talking about the ones you use to track people/vehicles and can access from a service/web site.

In light of recent “lost” riders and stories of people crashing and not being able to get help, I have been thinking about these devices.

I travel alone frequently and the deal with the wife is I will call every night, the problem with that is even if she knew I was "missing" no one would know where to look. I love to wander the real “back” roads where you see no one for miles at a time and there is no cell service, if I did fall it would likely be hunting season before someone found me.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You talking about one of these ?
Old 10-11-2005, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Or these?

Old 10-11-2005, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Don't cell phones communicate your approximate location via triangulating signal off different towers? Authorities should be able to find you that way... However if you are riding alone, it is wise to leave an approximate map where you are planning to ride... especially if remote areas are part of the trip.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I don't give travel plans either- I don't usually know where I might head until about the end of the driveway- and that isn't fixed. I buy lots of insurance for the family but don't expect anyone to be able to trace my ride that day. It's not prudent but I'm not likely to change as my nature has been to windsurf mile and half offshore solo in high winds so please don't expect a lecture will change anything for Yeskino or I. It may be comforting to the one's we leave behind to have a locator.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

Well, I'm sure DHS (Dept of Homeland Security) can help.
Seriously, what you're talking about is onstar for motorcycles.
Some more expensive gps's do this, as well as EPRB's for the boat set. Most later OBDII-compliant cars havd dormant chips on the engine CPU to do this, and onstar is already activated to do such a thing (OBTW, your OBDII car's airbag CPU already records the last 30 seconds of all kinds of data before deployment, speed, braking, lateral acceleration,,etc, etc, and this data HAS been used by the prosecution successfully, so be careful of what you wish for, big-brother-wise*grin*)
do a search for 'emergency position reporting beacon' and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
They CAN triangulate your cellphone, some models, even off, some models even with the battery out (ain't NVRAM with a tiny backup battery great?).

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

how about tracking all of us?

http://www.risingconcepts.com/frapper/
Old 10-12-2005, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tbsstunta Send a message via Yahoo to tbsstunta
What about Lojack, isn't it available for bikes now?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

serious questions warrant serious answers:

http://www.forgetmenotpanties.com/

(thanks Steve!!!)
Old 10-12-2005, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

here's an article (with links to other like products) on the real deal. Being found if I'm lost is not usually the problem, it's staying lost enough to not get paged/bothered *grin*
http://www.boatus.com/foundation/findings/findings39/default.htm

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Dbltailexit
I don't give travel plans either- I don't usually know where I might head until about the end of the driveway- and that isn't fixed. I buy lots of insurance for the family but don't expect anyone to be able to trace my ride that day. It's not prudent but I'm not likely to change as my nature .................It may be comforting to the one's we leave behind to have a locator.
I must have nomad in my blood, I like traveling with the family, but enjoy the solo as well. Insurance is great, but if they don't find a body I think it is 7 years befor they will pay

I have not thought about the emergency beacon to summon help, just the locator to find what might be left. I have done some reasearch, but the real question was has anyone else used or researched these devices?

This was a road that took close to an hour to travel, in the whole time the only thing I saw was a deer that crossed 100 feet in front of me. One of the most challenging paved roads I have ridden in the states. If I went off the side, they might not have found me till an archaeological dig thousands of years from now.

Last edited by PFFOG; 10-12-2005 at 04:10 PM..
Old 10-12-2005, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Good point on the 7 years Yeskino. You must have had an off road bike sometime, to inspire the nomad. Wish your road was closer.
Often riding at 7 am, Pure bliss except for the wild animal kingdom, the deer are active and cows wandering the back roads, few fences just occasional cattle grates , that and road bicyclist which I don't like to disturb or scare. ingmar
Old 10-12-2005, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

These guys offer 24 hour monitoring, crash detection, instant theft notification and Police recovery - Nationwide (USA):-

www.PhantomTracking.com

Should be able to fit a unit to your beloved S.

Cheers
Trevor

You are never too old to have a happy childhood!
A Throttle works two ways - only one is FUN!!
Old 10-16-2005, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Take a look on ebay. There are some tracking systems there. Main use, truckers/delivery people. So mother company can monitor where stuff is. I beleive most have a monthly fee, or a yearly account that allows X checks...

Matt
1989 K100RS - White/Blue, Remus; 1999 R1100S - Mandarin Orange, Remus, Ohlins; 2007 G650XCountry - Black/Silver, iStorm Luggage - Wilbers 75mm Lowered shock for the wife!; 2003 BCR #57 - Jeff's bike ; 2009 G477X - Akrapovic, WP Trax, SpeedBrain Goodies
2000 ///M5 - Custom Black & Blue, Dinan goodies
Old 10-16-2005, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

O.k. I think I found one, cheap no service charge.

http://www.rmtracking.com/gps/TRAN-Track-Recover-And-Navigate-GPS.html
Old 11-04-2005, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: