Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Boxercup or Randy Mamola bike

Which bike would you choose and why?

or

Old 10-21-2005, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Choose the one with twin plugs if you must have one. The best thing is to buy neither and wait a few more months for the new R12S which will run circles around either of the two above. IMHOOC
Old 10-21-2005, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Both are sweet. Go have a look in person, ride them both, see which one you like. The Boxercup should be a little mor refined with the Laser cans, and sportier(but still compliant) shocks.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
time wasting tosser

I never liked the idea of a white rear wheel. You'd have to keep cleaning the brake dust every ten minutes, or you could just leave it dirty and have it look like crap.

BTW, I have the Mamola bike, but it was De-Mamola'd.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Location: While a member here: Japan - Germany - USA - Curently: UK
Of the two, I would choose the red/blue version since it is closer (in regard to suspension) to a true boxer cup race bike, plus it would be a newer bike. However, I’m more concerned with suspension than other factors.

The red/blue Boxer cup has taller suspension (rumored GS length front fork legs) and taller rear shock (rumored same shock as the earlier sport suspension) than the Mamola boxercup and also has a taller seat.

The Mamola boxercup was initially available with ABS and uses the sport suspension. If you like ABS, than this would be your choice

To clarify the suspension differences:
Early sport suspension (like the ‘light’ model etc.) had taller front and taller rear shocks than the standard suspension, both versions used the same length paralever torque arm (I remember reading that some here did get theirs with a shorter version though).

Later sport suspension (like the BCX/Prep/Mamola BC) used the same taller front sport shock while the newer rear sport shock being shorter than the even standard shock, but because it was paired with a shorter paralever arm it raises the rear back up.

The red/blue BC uses the same early tall rear shock with the short paralever arm (same part number as what the GS uses BTW) paired with the front longer fork legs from the GS and front sport shock making this the tallest factory stock R1100S. This setup was used in the BC races as a way to get more cornering clearance while meeting the strict requirements that only BMW parts be used.

Regardless, any model of R1100S would be a better choice with Ohlins (rear shock with height adjustment) matched to the GS length paralever torque arm, or even better an adjustable paralever torque arm. But again, my focus is on the suspension over other factors.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to RoundelRider
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkC
[BTo clarify the suspension differences:
Later sport suspension (like the BCX/Prep/Mamola BC) used the same taller front sport shock while the newer rear sport shock being shorter than the even standard shock, but because it was paired with a shorter paralever arm it raises the rear back up.
[/B]
I dont agree with this. Why would they mfr. 3 different shocks?
Why would they drop to a shorter shock then raise it back up with a shorter paralever arm?

Thats the first time Ive ever heard of that craziness!?!?!

Got part numbers? I hate speculations.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Location: While a member here: Japan - Germany - USA - Curently: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by RoundelRider
I dont agree with this. Why would they mfr. 3 different shocks?
Why would they drop to a shorter shock then raise it back up with a shorter paralever arm?

Thats the first time Ive ever heard of that craziness!?!?!

Got part numbers? I hate speculations.
I understand your skepticism and agree that part numbers would be good, while actual shock measurements would be better. If you get a chance, perhaps you could visit your dealer and take measurements of the rear shock eye-to-eye (wheel off the ground and shock un-laden) on a red/blue boxercup and post them here. There is also a lot of information in this forum in regard to three deferent rear shock lengths.

I got the following data from multiple member’s post over the last several years here on Pelican parts:

Measured eye-to-eye
*Standard length = 314mm & 285mm Paralever Torque arm.
*Early Sport >09/01‘ = 318mm & 285mm Paralever Torque arm.
*Late sport (post Sept.01') = 310mm & 265mm Paralever Torque arm.

(Note: A couple members here reported getting the shorter torque arm with the longer rear shock on their early sport suspension equipped R1100S-L).

*Red/Blue BoxerCup = 318mm(???) & 265mm Paralever Torque arm.

I haven't measured the latest red/blue BC rear shock, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is the same length as the early sport shock, and when matched with the GS length paralever torque arm (at 265mm) would make the bike sit higher.

Anyone here with the red/blue boxer cup can measure the eye-to-eye length of their bike’s un-weighted (wheel off the ground) rear shock?

Front Shocks:
Standard = 319mm.
Sport = 330mm.

These are the only two lengths that I know of. I understand that the way the latest (red/blue) boxer cup front ride height was increased was with the use of longer lower sections of the fork legs from the GS.
Anyone here with a red/blue boxer cup could measure from the center of the front axle to a point on the fork leg under the A-arm attachment point and then measure the same points on any S except the red/blue boxercup? If the difference is 15mm, then that would be the same as the GS fork legs.

MarkC
Old 10-23-2005, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage
Re: Boxercup or Randy Mamola bike

Quote:
Originally posted by kalena.
Which bike would you choose and why?[/img]
...the white/blue/red one ; because I think it is the best looking S ever...

R1200S + R1200RT
Old 10-24-2005, 12:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Top of the Valley

Ditto White, blue, red...
Old 10-24-2005, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

According to Max BMW there are 3 sport rear shocks, one standard rear shock and 2 front shocks, one sport and one standard. I'm too lazy to post part numbers.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
go with the later one.
put the correct mirrors on it. (still can't believe they did that to it).
make the rear wheel anything but white.
ride it a lot.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Luca
I vote for the last version too.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I love my '05
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

What BroCurve says, if you listen to anyone here, listen to him, he knows.
I am doing zactly what he suggests.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tbsstunta Send a message via Yahoo to tbsstunta
Aesthetically I like the 05 more than the Mamola bike.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Barback King

no doubt, the "I wanna be like BradZ" bike...a cherishable classik...
Old 10-25-2005, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Defiantly 2 spark. If you really like the looks of the Mamola BC then I would be willing to swap my 04 Mamola body parts for the 05 body parts. Any takers out there?

Philip
"It's a great bike but I can make it better".

04 R1100S BCR # 195
03 R1100S BCR #44 R.I.P. new home with 'onekiwi'
Laser Exhaust
InDuct
SJ PowerFilter
Laser 2 spark Chip
Ohlins
Sargant Seat
Throttle bodies matched to rubber mounts matched to heads
Exhaust pipe welds ground down
Aux Fuel Tank (6.8 gallons total)
Old 10-25-2005, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I have black body work with some scratches...wanna trade?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Will trade for 05 BCR body parts only.

Philip
Old 10-25-2005, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

So no 99 yellow plastic then?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: