Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Thread Killer

Meet Reg Pridmore Sunday

Saw this on K-Bikes.com. Reg Pridmore will be at the Santa Paula Airport tomorrow for an interesting event. Space is limited (or gone) and you have to register through South Bay Triumph.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Reg set up my second R90S at RPM. He's a very interesting man.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

My fasted lap at Road Atlanta was on the back of a VFR-800 with Reg doing the driving.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I sent in an RSVP, Steve. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I attended the Reg Pridmore ride today, which was a bunch of Triumph (RAT group) and BMW riders from the general Los Angeles area. Reg spoke to the group over lunch about racing an R90S in the 70s, and Matt Capri, owner of South Bay Triumph, added comments about how he recruited Reg from racing a Norton and some of the modifications made to the bike. He said they made a series of cam shafts in one degree increments and tested each one on the dyno, finally arriving with a winner. Eventually the factory took notice and couldn't believe the kind of power obtained from the bike. The factory contributed titanium piston rods and special bearings.

BMW, as today, was not regarded as a serious racing bike, and it upset the competition that the BMW was even on the track, let alone to did so well. Besides winning several AMA championships, Reg raced sidecars at the Isle of Mann 4 or 5 times.

His CLASS organization is based in Santa Paula, and he has a couple of airplane hangers full of flying and motorcycle momentos. Here are some highlights of what we saw, including the Thruxton that Fred Willink, one of the CLASS instructors, is currently racing in the Thruxton series (see http://www.classrides.com/race_rpt.html). Fred told me that the Thruxton engines must be kept 100% stock, which means they put out only 60hp. Therefore, weight and friction reduction are key. He uses Avon tires because they are 4 pounds lighter than the Dunlops he likes, which makes him faster out of the corners (upsprung weight).

Old 01-22-2006, 06:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Interesting stuff, John. I'll bet that Thruxton series is fun. Did you see Tony there? (not sure if he went or not)
Old 01-22-2006, 07:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

No Tony in sight. Yes, I've actually been looking at Thruxtons, thinking of getting involved in the series, until I saw who was in it. On the other hand, I guess someone has to come in last...
Old 01-22-2006, 08:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Woulda', shoulda', coulda'. Took a ride down to the Santa Paula Airport this morning and looked around. I got there kind of early and there were a few bikes in the parking lot at the restaurant but I only stopped for few minutes to look around. I would have like to have seen the bikes and airplanes, especially since I think I'm getting the airplane and flying bugs back. Like I said, I shoulda' stopped longer but the weather was so nice I just kept riding.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Barback King

Dang! How'd I miss this lil event?

Reg is an upstanding fella'. I tool his R.A.T.S. course at Laguna Seca in the mid 80's on the old track layout...one of the best days ever.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Old 01-23-2006, 07:41 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: