Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
"I see nothing..."

BST CF wheel group buy

GOOD NEWS if you want BST CF wheels!

I am tempted by the aluiminum PVMs, but word is that BST CF wheels for older and newer BMWs is just several months away.

Quoting an email from BST ....

"When we make the BMW wheels we will make them so they are straight spoke but styled for the BMW so they will fit the new and older bikes. We are still a several months away from finishing this project though."

So if you can wait, who here is interested in a group order?

I am speaking with Stephano from www.Motowheels.com regarding the purchase.

OK so who is curious? Who is interested?

TTFN,
Tim

FAQs for BST CF Group Buy:

1. How light?
...very damn light!
Street CF Wheels (including 6000 series alloy hub, stainless steel fittings with bearings): Front: 4.62 lbs; Rear: 5.94 lbs.

2. How much?
...if you have to ask...!

3. When?
...this year!

4. Why?

The unique BST 5-spoke carbon composite wheel is made using the latest technology, materials and manufacturing processes. This lightweight and exceedingly strong wheel is suitable for both racing and street use. The BST wheels are stronger than aluminum or magnesium wheels.

Don't confuse these wheels with the first generation carbon wheels or simple carbon fenders that you see. BST wheels are all one piece pre-preg construction. They are "cooked " in an autoclave for over four hours under 6 bar of pressure.The wheels have been tested at Rim Technology (UK government certified facility), and passed all the tests for road certification (JWL, DOT). And most important of all, the BST wheels are unique in that they are created as a single unit - they don't bond pieces together.

Features:
# 5-spoke design
# Aerospace FAR25 qualified materials
# Manufacturing facility is ISO 9002 certified by the German TUV
# Complete traceability in manufacturing process and materials used including the hubs
# Manufacturing process allows for full identification and traceability (based on the process used for critical parts in the aerospace industry)
# All wheels leaving the factory will be bar coded for easy identification and full traceability
# Nesting and cutting machines are the same as those used in the aerospace industry - each wheel pattern is cut and the part is numbered simultaneously guaranteeing correctness and uniformity
# Wheels passed all tests for road certification carried out by Rim Technology (UK government certified facility)
# Corner fatigue carried out as specified in BS. AU. 50.
# Radial fatigue carried out as specified in BS. AU. 50.
# Torsional fatigue carried out as specified in BS. AU. 50.
# JWL and DOT-E certification
# Approved by CCS and WERA for racing

Benfits of Carbon Fiber wheels:

Lower unsprung mass Lower rotational inertia resulting in quick and responsive steering - less driver fatigue High strength to weight ratio Longer product life - carbon fiber is a fatigue-free material Carbon fiber composite is a damage tolerant material Carbon fiber is corrosion-free Attractive woven finish gives the wheels a killer look. Our wheels are up to 30% lighter than most of todays advanced racing wheels, and even more significantly lighter than the standard production wheels. Since the weight saving comes from the spokes and the rim, the mass of the wheel is concentrated in the hub to the benefit of rotational inertia. Because our wheels offer a substantial reduction in flywheel and gyroscopic effects, the motorcycle can accelerate, corner and brake faster. In particular, the reduced gyroscopic effect allows for faster directional changes, which makes the motorcycle far more sensitive to the riders demands. You will find yourself riding faster or farther with less effort.

The SECRET WEAPON: Club racers in Europe are fitting BST CF wheels on their 600cc bikes and competing with 1000cc bikes.

Racers are reporting lap times of 2.5-3.0 seconds faster with Carbon wheels over the stock wheels and 1.5 seconds faster over magnesium wheels. Drag racers are reporting .2 seconds in the quarter mile.

Some racers are foregoing additional engine and brake modifications and putting the extra money into these wheels.

Actual weights:

Street CF Wheels (including 6000 series alloy hub, stainless steel fittings with bearings): Front: 4.62 lbs; Rear: 5.94 lbs.

Race Only CF Wheels with 7000 series alloy hubs (add $400/set) including 7000 series alloy hub, lighter wheel, titanium fittings with bearings : Front: 4.4 lbs; Rear: 5.28 lbs

Sizes: Front Wheel: 3.5" x 17" Rear Wheel: 5.75" x 17" (single sided and conventional swing arm). 6.00" x 17" (single sided and conventional swing arm).

The BST wheels are among the strongest on the market (at the Munich Intermot show, BST representatives bounced the wheels on the ground thoughout the duration of Intermot to show they can take it!)

Old 03-02-2006, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I am curious and more than a little bit interested.

" styled for the BMW so they will fit the new and older bikes. "

Does this mean that they will fit the new R1200S or the K1200R?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
"I see nothing..."

Yes they will fit the new R1200S and K1200R or S.
Comblingo!
2009 Aprilia RS125 with GIANNELLI full system, Bitubo shock, etc.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Haven't they been 2 months away for at least 18 months now?
That's 20-and-counting...

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 03-02-2006, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by roger albert
Haven't they been 2 months away for at least 18 months now?
That's 20-and-counting...
Beemer runs are made only on 29th of Feb and you just missed this one
Old 03-02-2006, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
"I see nothing..."

BST Wheels for all your BMW wet-dreams ARE COMING SOON!

....me dreaming of a 2007 R1200S HP with BST CF wheels!
Old 03-02-2006, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wait a minute. The weights they're quoting are less than 50% of PVM aluminum wheels, unless I'm missing something. (I must be - they're only claiming 30%.)
Old 03-02-2006, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Maybe 30% lighter than a hypothetical generic sportbike wheel,
but 50% lighter than industrial, beemerwheels hand-hewn on the Volkskollektiv?
I say that only 30-50% tongue in cheek.

Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,

Last edited by roger albert; 03-02-2006 at 08:47 PM..
Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
what ever happened here? I am jonesing for a set of these wheels bad!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Three years ago I was in talks with Ron Turner of BST about CF wheels.
We waited for 6 months before deciding to go with Dymag CF wheels. Both CF companies make good wheels although the're shaped different. The BST rim is flatter between the spokes while the Dymag are rounded.
Check to see what the warrenty is, it should be very very long. Remember they will be signifigant,(imo), suspension changes as these things turn so fast if you turn as usual you'll be in the bushes at least 30yds in front of the turn.
good luck
jeff
95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 06-01-2007, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

1st, their marketing verbiage is suspect.
CF is neither damage-tolerant nor fatigue free.
That is so far from the truth as to be ludicrous.

2nd, outside of placebo, there is very little need
for change in suspension settings when going to these.
You can find a need if you're looking for one (just like
the Loch Ness Monster) of course, but there's little physics
based reason.

Remember, the damping settings (and spring ones) are primarily controlling the bike and rider.

Here's a quick mental exercise you can use to convince yourself if you don't want to believe a suspension guy.

Picture all the times sag and damping have been discussed and set. What is it always based on? On the Rider (and the bike, via static sag) We change a bike to accomodate a 100# vs 150# vs 200# (OK, this is a beemer board, better add in 250#) guy. We do NOT determine wheel weight and then adjust the shocks there.

For ultra light wheels, one can back off on both compression a nd rebound damping a tiny tad, but more than that is just the rider trying to regain a familiar feel, and tossing out the new benefit in the process. Highly counterproductive. If ones bike was on the ragged edge of stability, then one might need a bit more trail to restore it to the right side. But otherwise, one is just twiddling for twiddling's sake -- in all probability, to their detriment.

This 'need' falls under the same category as all the other suspension myths (preload vs stiffness, more-is-better, etc etc)

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-01-2007, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Now Roger be nice. Remember us 'seat of the pants' types don't know them big word nor ideas. All kidding aside while everything you say its true I can only go by my personal experience and that of the other two sets that I've seen for our bike. If you don't change anything in the suspension I,(and others), get so much information to the handlebars that I felt the type of rock that made the road,(sharp or rounded). We had to soften the suspension some to 'slow' the handling to where a human could use it rather than a hyper active super hero like the Flash. The end result isn't a negative but rather a solid increase in handling and performance. But hey what do I know, I could be wrong, but then again maybe not.
cya
jeff
Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
does dymag still make wheels for the R11?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

PVM is no longer fullfilling orders.
I recieved my money back last week from EAM for a race set of Forged alumiumns that were on order for 5 months, no warning, just looks bad heres your money back.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

shreddr,
yes I think they still do. check out their web site or text Steve Turner at Dymag.
I think the USA distributor has changed check them out.
http://www.dymag.com/index2_e.html
cya
jeff

cya
Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Roger

I want to find the Loch Ness creature and I do yave a lot of imagination, so do I have to Loch Ness? What about Lake Champlain? I 'll look real well, I promise.

Only thing about turning in quick is what you expect out of it, we have narrow comfort zones and are in touch thru hand and kneecap and butt pressure so when weight or profile changes our input is going to feel significantly different.

I know I'm not adding anytrhing but sometimes pushing the keys is very relaxing.

MGG
Old 06-02-2007, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Good and true points 70s.
Nothing wrong with tweaking for feel, for the most part.
But in some cases, you tweak away a certain (possibly large) portion of the benefit you just layed out (possibly a bunch) of cash for. It's sometimes worth trying to adapt to a new feel and letting the machine do what it's supposed to.

I know, easier said than done.

I don't like the feel from the new front end on one of my race bikes. One of my teammates liked it less still. But it's working, and hooking up on bumpy stuff better and improving cornerspeed in the rough stuff. Don't know if we'll ever like it.
But I'm tryinig to adapt.

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-02-2007, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Good and true points 70s.
Nothing wrong with tweaking for feel, for the most part.
But in some cases, you tweak away a certain (possibly large) portion of the benefit you just layed out (possibly a bunch) of cash for. It's sometimes worth trying to adapt to a new feel and letting the machine do what it's supposed to.

I know, easier said than done.

I don't like the feel from the new front end on one of my race bikes. One of my teammates liked it less still. But it's working, and hooking up on bumpy stuff better and improving cornerspeed in the rough stuff. Don't know if we'll ever like it.
But I'm trying to adapt.

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-02-2007, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
evil bastard

Here's a rather silly question. Wouldn't the CF wheels, being lighter, also make bike less stable? After all, the mass of the spinning wheel is what keeps the bike upright. So it seems to me that lighter wheels would improve the maneuverability, but at the cost of stability.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

My main concern other than cost would be changing tires. For those of us who use the Harbor Freight to hold the wheel while wrestling the tire on and off, is there any increased chance of damage to the wheel?

Old 06-03-2007, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: