Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Riding in the heat?

Hey SoCali bros, how are you guys doing in the heat? Any special changes you making? Caging? Riding nekkid? Be careful y'all.

I was born a rightie but now I'm a leftie.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

vented jackets and a cooling vest. you know...peeps in the big state of TX and AZ and others have been living with heat for ages. there are all sorts of vests out there for cooling. some as cheap as $30 some more like $300.

and hydration packs can not be overstated for hydration as well.

but i bet all those michy tires are getting up to temp faster :P

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 07-26-2006, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hydration is big. Insufficent hydration (and minerals etc) gave me a big scare this last weekend. I chucked down bottle after bottle of gatorade, water, and monster-energy drink during a 6 hour endurance race this last weekend. Wasn't enough. I was pushing pretty hard near the end of my 2nd session when both ends started chattering. It slowed me down enough that both guys behind me (both quicker and no doubt ready to pass anyway) hit me and then ran into the grass. The laptimes showed that in fact my fastest two laps of the weekend were rigth before I tossed it. I and the bike were still in the track and I couldn't move either leg. Used my hands to pull myself off while a cornerworker pulled my bike in. Not being able to move your legs after a crash is super super scary, I can now say. It turns out that I managed to have both sets of quads and calves go into a massive set of cramps. Never experienced anything of the sort in my life, even as a distance runner. Fairly painful, and VERY scary. After about 5 minutes, I tried to stand up twice and went right back down on my ass both times. Cornerwork was convinced I'd broken something and it was just covered up by shock or adrenaline. Glad he was wrong. I should have stayed down.

Lesson, in retrospect, is to pay attention to hydration not only during an event, but before hand. Not just an hour beforehand, but at least 24 hours. I recall thinking I felt unusually dried out and thirsty the day before. If you start a race (especially endurance) but also just a trackday or a ride, already behind the hydration curve, you'll only fall further behind. You'll hose yourself up, and maybe someoneelse.

(2nd lesson, dont' agree to be a fill in rider for a team with ****ty tires, but that's one for a different thread)

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 07-26-2006, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
I was really considering getting into the cage, but after the 5 hour stint on the way back from Monterey, a half hour to 45 minutes in LA traffic is no big deal.

Although, traffic came to a standstill this morning just as I got to my exit. I'm not religious (at all) but hopefully St. Peter will let the rider in, all he was doing was trying to get to work in the morning. THAT was quite sobering to see.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

So here we are almost exactly a year later and the heat wave is upon us yet again, except it's all the way up to Oregon and 1000 miles to the East. So, what is everyone doing to ride in this extreme heat? I'm wondering which vests are best (the kind you soak in water). Also, what's the best strategy to get from So Cal to Montana and not pass out during the 1300+ miles to get there? I may be leaving next week and I doubt these 100+ temps will fall much.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just returned from a jaunt to the local dealer. Decided that seein' howz it cooled off today (only 107 compared to yesterday's 112 or so) that I might as well see how it feels to ride in the heat. All in all it wasnt all that bad especially as long as I was moving but in reality, it was a relatively short ride.

My impression was that I was better off covered with my normal hot weather riding gear as it seemed to temper the effects of the hot wind blast. I don't think one would last long riding in tee shirts and such as the dry heat probably would suck the water out of the exposed skin faster than one could replace it.....+1 on the hydration aspect.

Brock

2016 S1000XR,2001 R1100 SA: Wunderlich Seat, Staintunes, Wilbers F/R
2004 MV Agusta Brutale S
1973 BMW 2002 Touring tii, '12 LR4, 86 Mondial 3.2 QV, 02 996 Turbo
Old 07-07-2007, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brock, you can borrow my cooling vest if you want to try it out.
It lasted a little past state line last Friday on my way to the Triple Crown Ride. Filled it in Baker and made it to Barstow, topped it off there and once I got to Mojave it was mostly dry, but wasn't needed past that. On way home I put it on in Barstow and it quite sometime between Baker and State line, was getting dark enough I didnt need to refill it though...

The vest I have uses those beads often found in the neck cooling things, absorbs alot of water and it cools you down nicely. I would have to go into the garage to see what brand it is, and its hot out there so not motivated too.. But if anyone wants to know I will go look.

As others mentioned, hydration is huge... Riding through 110-120 for 3 hours beat on me pretty hard. Downed many waters and Gatorades but was still feeling the effect. Living in desert for 17 years I have been mildy dehydrated many times and learned to know when its coming and what it does to my body. If I wasnt familiar with it, it would have scared me I am sure...

Matt
1989 K100RS - White/Blue, Remus; 1999 R1100S - Mandarin Orange, Remus, Ohlins; 2007 G650XCountry - Black/Silver, iStorm Luggage - Wilbers 75mm Lowered shock for the wife!; 2003 BCR #57 - Jeff's bike ; 2009 G477X - Akrapovic, WP Trax, SpeedBrain Goodies
2000 ///M5 - Custom Black & Blue, Dinan goodies
Old 07-07-2007, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...did 2 days (4th and 5th) on the Milwaukee Iron up in the mountains and the Desert... I have to admit that I decided to do the t-shirt thing... and even that was to hot...

If I am riding the "sportier" bikes, it is full mesh gear... it's kinda like t-shirt but with a little bit more protection (titanium, hardplastic, rubber... nuch like safe sex)

You know, like Ivan always says ADGADT... all da gear, all da time!

I really don't care to much how hot it gets. I go riding anyway...
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 07-07-2007, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I haven't let the heat slow me down. Just got a CamelBak for my Rally II jacket. Best idea of the summer. Now I just sip as I ride.

Almost got 3,000 miles on my new Adventure. Only one month old!
Old 07-07-2007, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If you haven't done so yet, loose the cat... it feels like it adds 30 degrees between my legs (not scientific!)... also had my wife cut my hair REAL short.
'73 YAM RD350
'71 HON SL70
Old 07-07-2007, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

My mountain bike racing days taught me that you can't beat mother nature.It does not matter what high tech liquid you are drinking, your body can absorb only so much punishment.Your genetics play a major part.If you are a gifted athlete, it's much easier, I had to work at it.I guess it's same with motorcycles.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Matt, after the mercury dips below 100, ya mind checking that label on the vest for me?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Jeezo Peezo....its 9:20 pm and the temp is still 98 outside.

Matt, sounds good, one of those vests outta help out in a pinch. I need to check it out...

Brock

2016 S1000XR,2001 R1100 SA: Wunderlich Seat, Staintunes, Wilbers F/R
2004 MV Agusta Brutale S
1973 BMW 2002 Touring tii, '12 LR4, 86 Mondial 3.2 QV, 02 996 Turbo
Old 07-07-2007, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Its still reading 104F here on the north side, at 10pm...
But I can manage for the short walk, will bring my water just incase

Cool VST
By Party Animal
http://www.ctaz.com/~party1/biker.htm

Matt
1989 K100RS - White/Blue, Remus; 1999 R1100S - Mandarin Orange, Remus, Ohlins; 2007 G650XCountry - Black/Silver, iStorm Luggage - Wilbers 75mm Lowered shock for the wife!; 2003 BCR #57 - Jeff's bike ; 2009 G477X - Akrapovic, WP Trax, SpeedBrain Goodies
Old 07-07-2007, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Thanks Matt!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cyndy
Matt

After III Crown, how is your frame of mind? Better? Went riding yesterday with Ivan & Shannon. Shannon behind me; corner came up, & she failed to negotiate. 15 feet or so of sliding in soft gravel. I saw it in rear view -- it scared hell out of me! Two girls alone (TM & Ivan up ahead). She was rattled for the rest of the day; she just couldn't shake it. Thought about you. Shannon and bike unhurt. But, are you over your eeebie jeebies?????
Z4 Metallic Silver Auto
Old 07-08-2007, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Cyndy. I am getting over them. Riding the bike to work. Trying to get the "as one" feel I used to have with my K bike. I never have gotten the same feeling with the S, probably because I dont ride it near enough. The past year or so has seen very few miles (3 Triple crowns and 2-3 other rides).
Plan to put alot more miles on this year.
Thanks for asking.

Shannon, Glad to hear you are ok! Hope it doesn't effect your riding.
Matt
Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Cyndy, sorry to hear bout Shannon but glad she's okay for the most part. Matt, I know what you mean by that 'as one' feeling. Even after only a few days of not riding it still takes me quite a while to get acclimated again.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: