Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to Hejira
Question R1200S shift lever adjustment

Weirdest thing. I wanted to lower shifter, so loosened the 2 locknuts & started turning the shaft. Why, the threads aren't reversed so that the rod goes tighter into one ball joint & looser in the other & finally bottoms out - both directions.
I'm wondering whether the company did something weird on this bike?

My other bikes work as they're supposed to.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Mine's the same Herija, had to lower it as well, too much throw
and too high equaled missed shift
Old 09-08-2006, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Personal taste in bike set-up is a funny thing - I raised mine because I prefer to ride with my foot under the shifter. (Works perfectly for me now.) Like you, though, I was surprised to find both ends of the rod had the same thread direction - true, it's not that big a deal to pull the shift lever off (or the arm on the shift shaft) and screw it in or out, but it seems like a somewhat cheezy way to make the shift linkage.

At least it has an adjustment - I also pulled the brake pedal off and drilled/taped the "bump" on the arm to accept an adjuster screw that still holds the brakelight switch in the off position - then the M/C rod was too long to turn the pedal down far enough so I had to shorten it, as well. Hmmm - am I the only rider out there who prefers to have the brake pedal just below my foot (but not quite touching it) when I'm in a relaxed riding position?
Old 09-08-2006, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
While the subject is on shift lever adjustment, I wouldn't mind another half inch lower on my 1100S. I've got it on the fewest threads where it will still hold together but would like it a bit lower.
Jim
Old 09-09-2006, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: