Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Heated grip problem

The left-side heated grip on my high-mileage R1100S has gone AWOL. Right side works fine in both Hi and Lo.

The heated element the likely culprit? Are these wired with a single element with a tap in the middle like the Symtec grips or is there a duty-cycle controller someplace that cycles them on/off to modulate heat at low?

- Mark
Old 09-09-2006, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well, I took it all apart. Only had to remove both side panels, remover snorkel, raise tank, and completely dissasemble the left handgrip - only 40 fasteners or so - to get to the wiring for the grip. I appear to have an open somewhere between the connector under the tank and the left grip.

And it appears next that I need to depin the connector to extricate just the left grip harness since each side goes into a single connector. BMW, why do you do such things???

- Mark
Old 09-09-2006, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

And for the record, if you have a really tiny jeweler's screwdriver, you can depin the connector for each side. This allows you to get the two spades out of the connector and separate the heated grip sleeve off the handlebar.

There's an open circuit someplace in the wiring from connector to the grip itself - I was surprised that it wasn't the actual element in the grip which is actually quite rugged. That being said, at the spot where the wires leave the grip and make a 180" degree bend to go down the handlebars looks like this is an area of weakness - this might be the break or it might be further up - not sure.

I was tempted just to frankenstein a cheap set of Symtec grip elements onto the BMW wiring, but by the time I spent $30 for a set of Symtecs and another $10 for a new unheated grip rubber, it seemed like a better option to spend $70 for a new BMW heated grip element and just plug-n-play. On the right side where the element still works, I'll just peel the old grip off the element and put a new unheated grip over it.

For those whose grips are getting tired, there are a number of references on the net for folks who have put new grips over their elements. They are not glued on very well, so if your grips are tired, this is easy to do and a nice upgrade. Just be sure to order two throttle side grips since the non-throttle side is not smaller like it is on the unheated grips.

- Mark
Old 09-09-2006, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
Glad to hear your hands will be warm this fall!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My buddy had the same thing happen to his GS -- it broke right at the solder point at the edge of the heating element. What a pain!
- 1995 Triumph Daytona 900 (For Sale!)
- 1985/86 GSX-R 750 (Track bike in progress)
Old 09-10-2006, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: