Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

One tough chick and moving story....

http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/articles/riding/roadrashqueen.html
Old 10-06-2006, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Barback King

...i'm sending this to my daughter.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...that's brutal... yet a perfect reminder to all the squids of the world who have the "It won't happen to me" attitude I love so much! - that it can happen to ANYONE at ANY TIME!

I feel for the girl... as she fell partially victim to her own ignorance and partially to the testosteron of the driver - probably wanting to "show off" a little... funny, when I have someone on the back seat (which very rarely happens), I usually slow down... ya never know how they are going to respond to any given situation.

It would be bad enough if I'd hurt myself... I have bad memories, had a bad accident when I was yooung and that put one of my best friends into a coma and then into rehabilitation for 2 years... all because he thought it was uncool to wear a helmet. He got hurt when horsing aroung and asked me to drive back home... when we were going down a serpentine road, the rear tire on his bike blew and we went under the guard rail down the hill... apparently his head hit the pavement extremely hard and that (aside from a bit of road rash) was his ONLY injury!!!

The memory and the helpless feeling of indescribable guilt are with me even today, after 30 years. It was beyond my control, but still, it happend when I was "in control"...

Life can change or be over in an instant!
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2012 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 10-06-2006, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Hi Bumper,

Thanks for posting that very real story of tragedy and thankfully eventual triumph.

I've often told others who wish to get their first motorcycle "Respect it like you would a loaded Gun."

signit98..."Guilt" is a fierce Taskmaster...don't let him rule over you or you'll be destroyed by it. I've given all of my Guilt to Jesus Christ...he cast it away, as far as East is from West, and says he won't even remember it ever happened.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD

Last edited by R111S; 10-06-2006 at 04:05 PM..
Old 10-06-2006, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

R111S... it works for some and not for others... I am one of those it does not work for, I am just not religious anymore... to many questions and not enough answers.

Yet, I am peacefully and respectfully living and working with people with strong faith (my son for exampe)... tolerance and acceptance are everything!

I hear what you are saying, but this past experience has - ever since - influenced my decision of taking people on the back seat... I don't ever want to go through this again! It is not that I am consumed by it, just constantly reminded...

Stories like the one about the girl just bring it back up and remind me how fragile life is...
Old 10-06-2006, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by signit98
how fragile life is...
Well said signit98...
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 10-06-2006, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Modern technology taketh away and modern technology giveth it back, mostly. Lucky and unlucky at the same time. Gonna sit on the fence on this one. She's stupid-cute or cute-stupid, but I can't figure out which.

.........Purple is Satire.........
Old 10-06-2006, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

young - stupid... isn't that the same? I was stupid and did stupid things when I was young (hell, I probably still do sometimes)... the question is, do you learn from your mistakes?

She at least did in the way that she's donning full gear now... I hope that common sense tells her not to ride with any hot-heads anymore either..
Old 10-06-2006, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If she wasn't a "hot-head magnet" before, lithe, blond, young, biker chick, well wearing tight leathers and chasing down the boulevards on a Japcycle will certainly increase her magnetism. Crud - there ain't a one of us old pharts that wouldn't get the ticker running faster if she zipped by and blew a kiss in our general direction.

.........Purple is Satire.........
Old 10-06-2006, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mstew6478
Folks, I live in Hot and Humid Florida and always wear my gear. I am glad this young lady is telling her story! When you are young, you're invincible. Then, you either die or get hurt and learn from it. This young lady has and I commend her for returning to riding.

Worse are the folks that go through something like this and live in fear afterwords. Something about falling off a horse.....
'64 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki DRZ 250
Old 10-07-2006, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

whew, that wore me out. It brought back alot of bad memories for me. That should be posted on every MC board on the net.

I was born a rightie but now I'm a leftie.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I pull gear on every time I ride, the legs are only thing I dont always cover the best, always have long pants on, just not riding pants every time (always when riding anything agressive, just to store and such).

Young doesnt always = dumb.
Having crashed mountain bikes as a teen I learned fast how skin dissapears fast. When I got a motorcycle there was no thought of riding without gear.

Out here in Vegas I would say a minimum of 98% of riders dont wear much more then a helmet. I see people on jap sport bikes, goldwings, hardleys, and sadly quite a few BMWs, wearing tank top, half helm, shorts, sandles. It blows my mind...
1989 K100RS - White/Blue, Remus; 1999 R1100S - Mandarin Orange, Remus, Ohlins; 2007 G650XCountry - Black/Silver, iStorm Luggage - Wilbers 75mm Lowered shock for the wife!; 2003 BCR #57 - Jeff's bike ; 2009 G477X - Akrapovic, WP Trax, SpeedBrain Goodies
2000 ///M5 - Custom Black & Blue, Dinan goodies
Old 10-07-2006, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Just today I had to make an emergency trip to Colorado to see my son in a Boulder hospital ICU. He was a victim of a driver who failed to see him on his bicycle. The driver turned left in front of my son, causing him to do his best Rothlesberger imitation. Sad to say, my son was not wearing a helmet and is now suffering from a skull fracture.

Looks as though he will be ok,thank goodness. I had tried to teach him the importance of wearing the proper gear, even on a bicycle, but to no avail, some lessons are learned the hard way.

2016 S1000XR,2001 R1100 SA: Wunderlich Seat, Staintunes, Wilbers F/R
2004 MV Agusta Brutale S
1973 BMW 2002 Touring tii, '12 LR4, 86 Mondial 3.2 QV, 02 996 Turbo
Old 10-07-2006, 11:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
R1100S 2.0

Send a message via AIM to DeltaNu1142 Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaNu1142
Quote:
Originally posted by VetteRacer
Out here in Vegas I would say a minimum of 98% of riders dont wear much more then a helmet. I see people on jap sport bikes, goldwings, hardleys, and sadly quite a few BMWs, wearing tank top, half helm, shorts, sandles. It blows my mind...
Yeah, I took my fiancee for a ride last night... after reading this story, & telling her about it, she's going to have to deal with a little sweat under my old Dianese jacket every time out. While in town we passed a guy on a Kawi wearing shorts & sandals. It's his choice, but I'd be willing to bet the guy's never had to put a bike down riding like that. It's not a risk I'd take. But that's what makes this country the pinnacle of freedom. (pthhhhhhhhhhb)
Old 10-08-2006, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Tirebiter... my thoughts and best whishes are with your son and with you... that is a parent's worst nightmare, I imagine.

I keep telling my monster over and over to wear protective gear... yet, still I find him sometimes riding the skateboard, scooter or bicycle without a helmet...

I JUST DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO VISIT HIM IN THE ER OR ICU!

I hope your son will get well soon and has learned a valuable lesson...
Old 10-08-2006, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Tirebiter, man my best wishes and all heaven's blessings for your son's full recovery.

I was born a rightie but now I'm a leftie.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Yes Tirebiter...we'll pray too for your son's recovery...Lord have mercy on him.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: