Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

ABS lights stay lit (2000 R1100S)

Started bike for first time in 1 week. ABS lights flashed at startup, rode away and, as usual, ABS lights went out once I started rolling. I rode for about 1 mile and stopped at gas station for air. Turned bike off and put bike on center stand. Spun front wheel to access valve stem and filled tire. Spun rear wheel to access valve stem and filled tire. Brought bike down from center stand, started bike (ABS lights flashed) and rode away. This time the ABS lights stayed lit and did not flash. I pulled over after about 1/2 mile and shut it down and restarted. Same thing. I did this again a few miles later and still have the solid ABS lights. I looked in the manual but can't find info on this. All the posts I searched here refer to flashing lights as a fault.
Any ideas?
Old 10-07-2006, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
1. Your battery may be on the way out.

2. Your ABS gap is possibly incorrect.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks. Figured the battery was ok since it started fine and the fault wasn't present the first time I started it.
I don't know what an ABS gap is. Is this something I could have hit or rubbed against while filling the tire with air?
What is the difference between a fault indicated by flashing ABS lights and a fault indicated by ABS lights staying lit without flashing?
Old 10-07-2006, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Try this. Although I still think that your battery may start it but might not be strong enough to run ABS properly.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Hi BSnyder,

I have a '99 that gave me lots of ABS Warning Lamp grief after buying it used a couple years ago. I suspected Battery Voltage plays a roll. I now use the following 4-Step sequence to start the Engine:

1) Select the Headlight Low Beam (lower current draw than High Beam). Also make sure Heated Grips are off.

2) Turn the Key Switch to ON position and pull in the Clutch Lever.

3) Wait a moment for the Fuel Pump to Run and then Stop (about 3 to 4 ABS blinks).

4) Crank the engine…the ABS lamps continue to blink simultaneously and then turn OFF once the wheels start turning.

Since Battery Voltage level is a strong factor in the ABS Power-On-Self Test (POST). Anything that can prevent a drop in voltage level during the test is to be encouraged…hence the 4-Steps outlined above.

Even so, I've still had trouble from time to time. Recently I cleaned the Battery Minus Ground Strap Terminal under the Battery Tray where it is bolted to the block as well as both Battery Terminals. I also disconnected/reconnected the ABS Module Connector several times to knock off pin contact oxidation. This helped for a while but then the ABS blinking problem finally returned.

Lately with the cooler weather, I've taken to riding for about 3 miles with the ABS Fault Active and then find a low traffic, straight road area to pull in the clutch, and shut-off the key-switch while still rolling (shift lever in 6th Gear). I then turn the key back on and wait for the ABS Lights to turn off. I then either start the engine using the Starter or let out the clutch to "Bump Start". I don't like to do the bump start though because it's not good for the Transmission Splines, Clutch, Gears, etc.

I'm about ready to find more electrical connections to clean...
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 10-07-2006, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll try that procedure tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I also have a '99 with this same problem ever since I bought it. I have always managed to get the ABS to reset and work correctly though the routine I've used has changed with time. I've discovered 2 key things that effect the success rate of the procedure. 1st I turn on the key and allow it to sit for a minute or 2 before I hit the starter button. If I let up on the button during startup it will not work. Once running I know the ABS will reset if the lights are blinking in unison. If they blink alternately I start the procedure over. I've heard all the battery related speculations but I'm not convinced weak output is the source of problem. I put a new dry cell in when I bought the bike in April'02 and keep a smart charger on it most of the time. No signs of issues unless they are inharent to dry cell technology. I'm curious if this routine works with other BMWs so give it a try and let us know.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I followed the advise you guys gave me and NO MORE FAULT. Guess I was just to eager to get her started and on the road yesterday! From now on its 3 blinks of the ABS lights before I tap that starter button.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...I've tried to do a search on the board... to no avail though... is it possible, to just take the whole ABS system off the bike???
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2012 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 10-08-2006, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It has been done by a member here. A more thorough search will find it.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BSnyder
I followed the advise you guys gave me and NO MORE FAULT. Guess I was just to eager to get her started and on the road yesterday! From now on its 3 blinks of the ABS lights before I tap that starter button.
That agrees with what I learned too (2000 R11S). In addition, I also wait for 10 seconds or so after the bike is started before engaging a gear and taking off - I seem to recall that taking off too quickly also caused the lights to keep flashing.

OTOH, doing it the "fast" way is a nice way to disable ABS for a track day, etc.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale Flowers
If I let up on the button during startup it will not work.
Wow...I'm glad you said this. It makes me think there is a "Fly-Back" Voltage issue going on here that it causing the ABS Module to log a Fault. I just need to get hold of a Wiring Schematic and determine if there's a good place to add a Fly-Back Diode...I'll be sure to post the results if it works.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 10-08-2006, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've found that certain batteries seem to aggravate the problem: original BMW wet cell and new BMW gel cell - no issues. A Exide wet cell and Panasonic gel cell: Okay for first 9-months and then both started faulting the ABS. The ABS systems on our bikes want all the static voltage they can find and then some.

Final thing for a long/healthy ABS life: don't neglect the 2-yr brake fluid flush.

- Mark
Old 10-08-2006, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Lyon
[B]That agrees with what I learned too (2000 R11S). In addition, I also wait for 10 seconds or so after the bike is started before engaging a gear and taking off - I seem to recall that taking off too quickly also caused the lights to keep flashing.

As I stated earlier if the 2 lights are blinking in unison the ABS will set correctly every time. This avoids the start/roll/stop/repeat annoyances which I found aggravating.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
This seems enlightening!

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/ABS_Low_Voltage_Fix.htm
Old 10-09-2006, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: