Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need info from sfarson and others.

Steve (Sfarson) and/or others with knowledge,

As the proud owner of the K1200S, R1200S and the old, but never forgotten, R1100S I would like your evaluation. I love my 04 BCR and as you know I've done a few modification to improve performance and plan to do more but the new K1200R Sport really caught my eye. Most of my riding is two up and the new K RS looks like the idea 2 up sport tourer, even Jane likes the look. My question to you is, how would you rate the K1200 to the R1100S. The power is obvious but what about comfort and especially handling. Is the K as good as or better than the R1100S on those wonderful twisty mountain roads?

I still prefer the twin and maybe the new (updated style) R1200ST or better yet the R1200S with the bag option and better passenger seat would be a better choice. Has anyone done any two up time on the new R1200S?

Maybe I need 2 bikes. The K1200RS for 2 up and a new R1200S for solo riding. Now where is my check book? Oh, there it is.... Damn, it looks like I'm about $25,000 short and getting shorter.

Philip
"It's a great bike but I can make it better".

04 R1100S BCR # 195
03 R1100S BCR #44 R.I.P. new home with 'onekiwi'
Adjustable cam sprockets
Milled heads .025
Larger Valves +2mm intake & Exhaust
Ported and polished heads (just a little)
SJBMW Exhaust Accelerator Kit (modified)
Laser Exhaust
InDuct
SJ PowerFilter
Laser 2 spark Chip
K's 3.5 bar regulator
Ohlins
Sargant Seat
Throttle bodies matched to rubber mounts matched to heads
Throttle bodies venture steps smoothed out.
Exhaust pipe welds ground down
Aux Fuel Tank (6.8 gallons total)
Old 10-13-2006, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...I have ridden my R1100S and my buddies K1200S back to back on the same twisty road within one hour...

Now, I don't know about the whole two-up thing, but I can tell you that the K1200 is considerably heavier... handling reflects that... which is not to say that it is a slow or complicated to ride bike...

Just different, the seating position is different and it feels that the center of gravity is as well... two completely different horses and, though I really enjoyed the motor characteristics of the "K", I was happy to sit on my "S" again...

Maybe with a little "getting-used-to"... I'd grow to like it... but, mind you that I think the "S" is already much heavier that I'd like a sport bike or even sport tourer to be... though it makes it very easy to forget that!

Hope this help to confuse you even more
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2012 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 10-13-2006, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage
Re: Need info from sfarson and others.

Quote:
Originally posted by pmc847
...has anyone done any two up time on the new R1200S...
...sometimes my youngest son goes with me ; but for serious two up touring the R1200S is a wrong choise...

R1200S + R1200RT
Old 10-13-2006, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I didn't like the K1200S when I rode it. As you now know you won't need to throw much at the new R12S, it rocks straight from the crate. With that many mods to an 11s and still not sure it would be down the road motors in my garage. Then get an ST and let me know how it is two up as well, it's on my short list.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
On a Ride

Re: Need info from sfarson and others.

Quote:
As the proud owner of the K1200S, R1200S and the old, but never forgotten, R1100S I would like your evaluation. I love my 04 BCR and as you know I've done a few modification to improve performance and plan to do more but the new K1200R Sport really caught my eye. Most of my riding is two up and the new K RS looks like the idea 2 up sport tourer, even Jane likes the look. My question to you is, how would you rate the K1200 to the R1100S. The power is obvious but what about comfort and especially handling. Is the K as good as or better than the R1100S on those wonderful twisty mountain roads?
Philip,

Prefer the K1200S on more open roads, longer rides, sweeping curves, carrying a passenger. Among I-4 bikes, I find it to be the next gen sporting ride for the road. Exhaust note, even stock, is deep, low, outstanding. Bike can still cook in tighter curves. Many have seen the Nurburgring video where a KS pilot set the second fastest lap ever, just behind an R1. Whether it is still true or not doesn't change the fact the bike is a no compromise rocket... and this includes in the midst of Colorado curves. What I always get a kick out of with an I-4 is the roll-on thrust above 60-70mph, delivered with a kick and continuing for more than another 60-70mph, often leaving following sundry twins wheezing in the wake.

Preceding noted, the R1200S is more fun on a curvy road. The torque is delicious. The grunt undeniable. The thing flickable. The 80lbs weight savings noticeable. The shorter wheelbase enhances the confidence and experience at speed. Underseat exhaust uncovers the mesmorizing deep dish rear wheel. Flat twin character. These two bikes are very different.

I think the new K1200R Sport looks outstanding. Have seen pics with side bags and a top case. The ergos appear excellent. Could be just for you Philip. Would prefer this kind of bike versus the R1200S for longer rides, especially two up, but this is me. And then again, since you prefer twins, would hesitate. You might find the I-4 hummmm on long rides ho hum.

What BMW has up their sleeve for the R1200ST is intriguing. If anything at all. Functionally, and from certain angles -- very attractive. One can still find ST's around, and my dealer has a sweet low mile red/silver available. This model might be worth a revisit. HTH.

Last edited by sfarson; 10-14-2006 at 07:20 AM..
Old 10-13-2006, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Steve, and signit98, RoLoo and jonyo too,

Thanks for the response, very good info. I guess I'll just have to ride the darn thing to know for sure. My good friend Gerry has a K1200R and loves it but he lives in Florida so that makes it almost impossible to ride it until I'm down there again and that will not be in the near future. He, like Steve, is a connoisseur of fine motorbikes and has had more bikes than I can count but only 3 now. He took the K R for a demo ride and fell in love with it so of course had to take one home.

It's winter here now so I have quite a few months to ponder. Maybe with time, and a little more work on the BCR, my desire for a K1200R Sport will pass. NOT!

Maybe if I find a job and save that income I can afford both. My current boss, Jane, probably won't tolerate any time away from my current duties but it won'e hurt to ask. But then again it just might hurt <;~).

Philip
Old 10-14-2006, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've had each of the bikes mentioned in this post except the new KRS, of course. I've taken passengers on a K1200R and the R1200ST. Both passengers were OK with the K bike but preferred the ST due to the more comfortable seat.

From a rider point of view the R1200ST has a better quality ride for long distance. Especially if your roads are bumpy. The K bikes are sprung a bit stiffer to handle the extra power, no doubt, but after a long day you are a little less fatigued on the ST if the roads are cr*p like where I live.

For open, smooth roads the K is an outstanding choice. When the turns tighten up or the roads are bumpy I prefer the twins.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: