Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
intrinsically no good

How cold is too cold?

Out for a good ride this morning, up around the Pocono area in PA. The posted temps I saw on the ride were 42 and 43 F. My boots and pants were stellar, and my leather jacket blocks the wind suitably. The only problem I had was my hands. I have pretty "run of the mill" Joe Rocket gloves. So, what do people prefer, the thicker glove or a heated glove? and how cold does it need to get so that no glove will help? I would say with the gloves I have, if I didn't have heated grips, I would not have made it ten minutes.

California guys probably can ignore this one, but how cold does it have to be to stop you from riding?
Old 10-15-2006, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...You are funny, Kyle...even CA gets "cold"... went for a ride this AM and kinda used my usual setup... T-shirt and leather jacket, Icon pants... and we turned around when the temp dropped to 52 with fog up in the mountains... couldn't see my hand in front of my eyes anymore because the visor kept fogging up as well...

So, there you have it... that was to cold for me! Would have been better id I was prepared better... but I wasn't!
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2012 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 10-15-2006, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rode home from work last friday night. 31 F
Old 10-15-2006, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I find that I can use my 'normal' gear, all leather, down to about 55 degrees comfortably and for long periods. Once it gets down to 50 I start feeling the cold and about here I need to start adding layers. I can ususally handle cooler weather than most, but I stay home when there is possibility of ice on the shady side of the hills, and temps in the upper 30s and lower 40s might cause some indecision.

Granted, it doesn't often get extremely cold in SoCal, but I have seen it snow in Santa Barbara.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Re: How cold is too cold?

Quote:
Originally posted by CowboyKyle

California guys probably can ignore this one, but how cold does it have to be to stop you from riding?
This California guy goes out no matter how cold. I've gone up thru the Tahoe area when it was in the 20s. I've got great gear for the cold and put in some of my longer days in the winter.

You can bundle up when it's cold but when it's over 100 there's no way to get cool.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

For me the temperature is more of a safety factor than a comfort factor. I've been out at 19F but it was very dry weather, whereas I wouldn't venture out on the bike if it was near 32Fwith danger of ice on the roads.

I was born a rightie but now I'm a leftie.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

-32.3 degrees with the windchill. Snowing the entire time. LOL!

12.5 degrees with a peak (and brief) top speed of 75MPH. 40 miles ride to Jones Beach and back then around my town for a bit...odd looks from a State Trooper on the highway, some young model-type beeping and waving to me, saw a M-B s55 and gave'em a thumbs up...then, when the snow had started to accumulate and I had rear wheel slippage at LIGHT throttle, I went home.

Ballistic 4.0 jacket, Paris-Dakar jacket, widder vest and arm chaps, Widder chaps, pants, Joe R Alter Ego overpants, Widder gloves, three pairs of socks and my Arai. Sans the Ballistic jacket, I was actually quite flexbile, but I wasn't takign any chances! If I had better boots with heating and a face protector I could have ridden for a few hours, everything else was warm. Laughing and singing the entire time with nearly frozen toes and nose.

FYYFFs!

-Eff
Old 10-15-2006, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I agree with Flatbutt1, I'm hesitant to go out once the temp is below 36 in the morning due to frost on the road.

I picked up some Joe Rocket rain gloves this year and found they work well in cold weather because they don't breathe at all. No insulation, but that's not an issue with heated grips.

1999 R1100RT Graphite, 1988 Hawk GT, 1985 VF700F Interceptor, 1981 CB400T Hawk, 1987 YSR50
Old 10-15-2006, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Effervescent

-32.3 degrees with the windchill. Snowing the entire time. LOL!

......... Laughing and singing the entire time with nearly frozen toes and nose.

FYYFFs!

-Eff
yes but you're a manly man and I'm old!

Old 10-15-2006, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Dismembered

I wear Underarmor "Heat Gear" gloves, which are very thin (nd have better tactile feel than silk) under my regular, boxercup gauntlets gloves. This weekend I was in E. TN & N. GA, where the morning temps were in the 20-30s and daytime highs mid 40s. With the heated grips on low my hands, including my fingertips were fine.
2012 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak (#072)
"It is difficult to get the news from poems, yet men die miserably every day from lack of what is found there" WC Williams
Old 10-15-2006, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I did 400 miles this weekend in weather ranging from 25 to 60 Most of it was in the low 40's I used my Harley fxrg leathers, and they were great. For my hands I used hotfinger gloves. Northern New Hampshire is great this time of year.

Scott
Old 10-15-2006, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

For me, an old guy, I find that once it is down into the 30's even with BMW Winter Gloves and heated grips on high, the tops of my fingers get cold and painful after 5 or 6 hours at 75 mph plus. I may try some hippo hands this winter season.

On the other hand if I hit the lottery I will replace my BMW carbon vest with a warm-and-safe liner and their heated gloves
Old 10-15-2006, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Cyclone Jack

Garage
Like others here have said, more conditions than just the temp dictate whether I will ride, that said I have ridden as low as 24 degrees and sunny. I rode today for a liittle over a hundred miles in overcast 42 degree weather. I sure do love heated vest and heated grips. I jusr love to ride and if the conditions are right I won't let a little low temps get me down.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Re: How cold is too cold?

Quote:
Originally posted by CowboyKyle
Out for a good ride this morning, up around the Pocono area in PA. The posted temps I saw on the ride were 42 and 43 F. My boots and pants were stellar, and my leather jacket blocks the wind suitably. The only problem I had was my hands. I have pretty "run of the mill" Joe Rocket gloves. So, what do people prefer, the thicker glove or a heated glove? and how cold does it need to get so that no glove will help? I would say with the gloves I have, if I didn't have heated grips, I would not have made it ten minutes.

I went today to the Pocono area too. Was the first cold ride of the season. Quite cold. I had my BMW pants and jacket with the liners on I was freezing when I was coming back at 8pm. I have heated grips but I didn't buy gloves for the winter yet and my hands were very cold.
Any recommendation for winter gloves not to thick but warm enough with the heated grips on?
2004 BCR. Sold
Old 10-15-2006, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to turnerm Send a message via Yahoo to turnerm
The best gear for cold weather riding is Gerbings heated gear.
Using the jacket & pants liner, gloves and socks, I can ride down to upper teens.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
intrinsically no good

Quote:
Originally posted by GotRoad?
I wear Underarmor "Heat Gear" gloves, which are very thin (nd have better tactile feel than silk) under my regular, boxercup gauntlets gloves. This weekend I was in E. TN & N. GA, where the morning temps were in the 20-30s and daytime highs mid 40s. With the heated grips on low my hands, including my fingertips were fine.
Basically, I was really only having problems with the wind on my hands. I figure I should first try some glove liners, or some thicker gloves. I think I would prefer to avoid the mitten feel, so i'll look up some liners.

Thanks for the comments too, although I don't want the CA guys to think I was trolling them with the anti-cold bit!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I had good luck just buying a pair of gloves that has interior insulation like a pair of ski gloves (thinsulate?). Actually one time I wore a pair of ski gloves and they worked great. BTW, buy them so they fit loose so you have some dead air space around your fingers (helps when you're skiing too).
Old 10-15-2006, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...jackbounce... I figured, if you'd win the lottery, it'd be easier to just pick up and move to a warmer place!?
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2012 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 10-15-2006, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Somewhere, in the myriad of boxes that we recently moved with, I have a pair of heated gloves.

They work great at keeping your hands warm on the coldest of days. The problem is their flexibility. All those wires and padding don't foster long term usage, imho.

With temps at 31F this morning, I will start rummaging for them. They are great until the temps warm to above 40 then I'll make the switch.

Saint
'02 R1100S - sold
'07 R1200GS, '09 XR1200
Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

29F this morning and my hands were really uncomfortable. Not stiff enough to be a hindrance but if my commute was longer than 1 hour I'd have been in trouble.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: