Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Geez. This was kill'in me. I couldn't wait to get home - 33/12 for me.

About the speed. The speedo on my S is a bit more optimistic than that of my ST or the GS or K1200R that I had. It's about 5mph off at freeway speeds. The ST and others are about 2.

I'm like many here. I'll find the room to wind this thing all the way out someday. Just haven't done it yet. So far I've gone an indicated 145 and it felt like it still had plenty left. I've had it on the far side of 140 plenty of times.

So what we have is a bike that will turn 10 second qtr miles, puts 110 HP to the back wheel and will run over 150MPH. Hey, I started riding in the 70s. Back then 13 second qtrs were fast and getting over 120 just didn't happen on many bikes. None of them handled like this one either.

I'm thinking this is plenty fast for a streetbike. According to Parriott and Kern it looks like it does fairly well on the track too.

I've had faster bikes. I had my R1 an indicated 175!!! The whole thing is the R1 was only *fun* when you were north of 110. The S is fun all the time.

I'd rather be riding my S regardless of the fact that it won't pull 170.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

O. K. fellow R1200S brothers here are some figures that at least give us some room to play with and confirm my experience and what will soon be the experience for others on this board.

I just went to the shop and measured the new M3 Sportec that is on the rear of my bike, and which has about 500 miles on it. Its rolling circumference came out just over 6 feet 5 inches just like tmuhl had stated in a earlier post. So rather that using 6' 5.5" I decided to use 6' 5" as a base for us all.

The bottom line is that these bike equipped with a 2.62 rear end is geared for exactly 158.2369 at 8400 RPMs (red line) and 165.772 at 8800 RPMs (rev limiter)

So there you have it. My bike seems like it will pull on beyond redline.......and if mine will do it.......so will everyone else's.

We have a 160 mph BMW on our hands.............and there is nothing some of the non believers can do about it.

Last edited by Dr. Curve; 11-06-2006 at 07:11 PM..
Old 11-06-2006, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Registered

..and there is nothing some of the non believers can do about it.
I guess calling you full of sheet is outta the question.
And with a tailwind while going down hill and farting while dragging behind a porsche the new S will go over 170mph too.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

uhhh...140...150...160...heII even a measly 110 will get you dead plenty good.

i like the phrase"riding a slow bike fast is better than riding a fast bike slow" however I prefer riding ANY bike well, smoothly and ALL the way home

I was born a rightie but now I'm a leftie.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

> so you 'silver backs' out there on the forum prove me right with solid quantified objective information..

Phil,

Where do you expect people to conjure this? A couple windbags might claim to have the inside scoop (but are usually proven not to have) No one is holding out on you buddy. Everyone is in the same boat. The factory just doesn't have a hard fixed database, or if so, one that they share. Nor do they cough up info to the dealers that well. Never did. Might one day. Probably best not to with a bunch of anal BMW riders. They'd just use the data to carp and whine anyway.

Sure, I'd like to have all of it printed in black and white too.
And I'd enjoy more such facts, and less of the goofy hyperbole and speculation, which only detract from real info and points. But I'm not holding my breath, and try not to let it keep me from enjoying the bikes.

The way the forum works, is that a bunch of people supply a bunch of datapoints, and at some point, we, if we pay really close attention and surf and search a lot, come up with a pretty good picture of the way things are. We have that for the 11 now. It will take a while for the picture of the 12 to develop.

I know, patience is easier to preach than practice, especially when you're not the one who has cut the check. Or maybe after a dozen euro bikes, no single one gets me all that amped up.
It'll come soon enough, and you'll probably love it, if you don't let the information void freak you out too much.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 11-06-2006, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by roger albert
[B
The way the forum works, is that a bunch of people supply a bunch of datapoints, and at some point, we, if we pay really close attention and surf and search a lot, come up with a pretty good picture of the way things are. We have that for the 11 now. It will take a while for the picture of the 12 to develop.
. [/B]
what he said...patience grasshopper...all will be revealed in time

Old 11-06-2006, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Originally posted by roger albert

That's good.

You gradually start assimilating data the more you read the forum. Then you can draw your own conclusions. Determine fact from fiction. Don't expect anyone to hand it to you however, although the answer is here somewhere.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Thanks Guys...sage advice...patience and critical thinking are definitely in order as I make my transition into Boxer Land...I really do appreciate your points of view and have learned a lot...but then how could I refuse a guy called Flatbutt...I can suck it up until June 1 when I get my R12S...but as in Rocky Horror Picture Show...it is now all about "Antic---i---pa---tion"..keep talking, I will keep listening..
Old 11-06-2006, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Buttolph
but then how could I refuse a guy called Flatbutt...

Old 11-06-2006, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

Phil; give us some perspective here, from an ex-chippie.
SURELY you will NEVER exceed the speed limit eanywhere, anyhow, anywhy....hehehe.
No one is immune from the lure of speed and adrenaline..not even the heat. (or ex-heat )
I've personally observed a WSP racing (NOT pursuing) a firebird T/A up a deserted I-5 at 4AM...they blew by my van hard enough to make me swerve acrtoss a lane or two.
And June 2007? WTF,O?
That long? geez. half the riding season is gone already in June in the PacNW.

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Jony...yes speed is addictive..you saw a picture of my '62 going way faster than was safe...and yes in the patrol car you go way fast, because you can...and yes June 2007 is a life-time away..I am sorry what was the question? I did love the "WTF,O"...especially the "over"..oh yes, here the season can start in May...but you need studded tires..
Old 11-06-2006, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
On a Ride

Interesting perspective on the nums. This I know... bought the R12S for the dozens of canyons nearby along with the plethora of curvy Rocky Mountain roads in the same time zone.

Not sure I'll ever see the north side of 120mph. Hammering the throttle in the straights like any monkey with a right hand can do? Zzzzzzz. Other bikes better for this if it is what lights your fire.

Me? Extraordinarily pleased with the very noticeable lighter weight and greater power, combined with nice factory options. Good job Munich.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Agreeing with sfarson and others..........speed is fine.......but its the way this new bike handles and snaps out of the corners that really makes me feel good. What a giant step forward for us all...........and if you need some top end......its there. The win at Daytona was really something.....and it sure was a event where both superior handling and a strong top end both came into play. Perhaps the new host of aftermarket exhaust systems will add even more quickness in both handling and speed.........the BOS system looks wierd........but very functional. Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Curvemeister,the CW artcle gave you already the answer.
Real speed 55 mph,speed on speddometer 60 mph...approximately 10% speddometer error.
So if you saw 160 you were actually doing 144mph or so...152mph/243km/h was all MOTORRAD got out of it running 98 octance gas where we can get 92/93 octane max which costs another 3-4 hp...
Sorry...
Chris
Old 11-07-2006, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Sorry you can't have one of these new bullets Chris, for if you did you would realize just how incorrect your oberservations are. The new R12S is geared for 144 in 5th gear for Christ sake and here you are joining the "wish it wern't true" group of naysayers who keep harping that a stock R12S with a 2.62 rear will only run 144. How uninformed do you need to be before the light comes on in the dark areas of your thinking?

We can all agree that speed is only a small part of the total packet but it is nice to know its there. Will all of the "wish I had one group" remember your outlandish disbelief when we run one of these at the ECTA track this coming year...........and get at least 155, and hopeful more, in the standing mile? Perhaps CW ran out of road, had a lower gearing, whatever............these new bikes will pull to beyond redline in sixth gear with a 2.62 rear.........face it.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Well Doc I think top speed for the new R1200S is 147 mph
1150 cylinders 12:1 pistons/ race cams, Lennies induct, Laser Boxercup II Exhaust, Ohlins shocks, Dymag Carbon Fiber Five Spoke wheels, Crossover tube removed, heads ported and polished Bigger valves installed intake and exhaust! SJ power filter, motoyoyo clamps , HID
Old 11-07-2006, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Barback King

"Where do you expect people to conjure this?"

well said Rog',

Philbuttdude...

A little history on the mark may be in order...it's been traditional Munich procedure for the jerries to put it out there, designed with a purpose, and WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).
They don't reveal secrets or mistakes, nor do they admit them or any other reasons for upgrading and (re)engineering a bike ...it's a weird thing about pride I figure. We can gather the troops and rattle the cages but fact is, we are on the wrong side of the bars.

Example: Twin plugging airheads and oilheads has been a commonly used aftermarket upgrade in the US since the late 70's, pioneered by US enthusiasts like Chris Hodgson at SJBMW (earlier on CC Products)...BMW was demure and uncommenting on the practice, neither a nod, nor a wink. BMW just recently dual plugged the oilheads and crowned it "Twin Spark" claiming it an innovative technology...admitting nothing nor crediting US BMW racing enthusiasts (though from a US marketing standpoint it would seem to be in their favor!).

It appears that they're getting another freebie with the Daytona win and with N8's success and all, much like back in the AMA Superbike/Pridmore days...free glory for der mark via der expense of independent US racers...how special...

They certainly don't supply us, not even BMWNA with hard data other than shop manuals, training, and what they want them/us to know.

Call it wizardry from a foriegn country, or call it stodgy and unfair, but it's German thru 'n' thru...WYSIWYG...

...don't forget to vote!

Last edited by Rapid Dog; 11-07-2006 at 10:21 AM..
Old 11-07-2006, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Dog...seriously thanks a million...that perspective and especially the history is greatly appreciated! I love a learning curves until I reach the point of inflection...PhilButt 1
Old 11-07-2006, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Real easy buy a $20.00 Sigma bike Computer
1150 cylinders 12:1 pistons/ race cams, Lennies induct, Laser Boxercup II Exhaust, Ohlins shocks, Dymag Carbon Fiber Five Spoke wheels, Crossover tube removed, heads ported and polished Bigger valves installed intake and exhaust! SJ power filter, motoyoyo clamps , HID
Old 11-07-2006, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Top of the Valley

Just curious, Has anyone besides the good Dr. received The R12S with the 2.62? I also have the 2.75.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: