Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Actual Top Speed For A Dead Stock R1200S? 160+ At Least!!!

Yes brothers.........I know the new Cycle World test says the R1200S has a top speed of 143 and can run the quarter in 10.9............I know some members on this board have suggested that the top speed is maybe 147 or 153............I know that if you figure the rear end ratios of the three rear ends that are available then of course differences will occur and the length of time to get up to speed will vary................but lets talk real time, real bike, real road.

Today, on my favorite safe one mile straight my bone stock R1200S, running in sixth, with its 2.62 rear wheel and 190 tire........ had no trouble at all pulling into the red to 8500 RPMs at which point the speedometer is indicated PAST THE 160 MPH final number on the instrument face AND the bike was still pulling, having not reached the rev limiter feature.

Go figure. I was dumbfounded and now can see why the win at Daytona was possible with such ease. Oh sure, IF the Aprillia had not lost a gear shift lever, and they had not taken so long to fix it, then perhaps the BMW would have placed second but instead they won. I would never have dreamed that BMW would offer us a stock air-cooled twin that will run with, and in this Daytona case, outrun a host of water-cooled twins.

My bike was dead smooth and I have no reason to believe that a stock R1200S with the optional 2.62 rear will run a honest 160 plus. I had another R11S running with me and he was up to and holding 145.........later saying that I just seem to fade away quickly from him.

What a great bike that I hope all us brothers get to own at some point. The R11S is fine and I still have mine...........but man this new bike is fast. I was indicating at least 162............and it got up to speed very quickly. Its not that we need this kind of speed..........its just knowing that its there if we did have to use it. Thoughts?

Last edited by Dr. Curve; 11-05-2006 at 01:36 PM..
Old 11-05-2006, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Dr...final drive ratio...I am still told the bikes are coming with 2.75 not your 2.62; hence test differences...also verify your speed with a GPS..
Old 11-05-2006, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

even if it's NOT a true 160, that's *still* plenty fast
Time and technology march on. I'm still contemplating grabbing a totalled R1200 of whatever ancestry and doing a heart transplant....including a motec CPU.

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Dismembered

Ditto, on using a GPS. On the level roads throught the long leaf pine & oak forests of NW Florida you should get a very accurate reading of your true ground speed.
2012 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak (#072)
"It is difficult to get the news from poems, yet men die miserably every day from lack of what is found there" WC Williams
Old 11-05-2006, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Hi Dr. Curve,

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here but...

It's nice to think that your R1200S is going as fast as the Speedo indicates but all my past experience says these analog devices are typically optimistic and not altogether linear either...for sure verify w/GPS.

Secondly, Motorrad published the '02 R1100S at a top speed of 226 KPH (140.43 MPH)...again it's not surprising that your Buddies R1100S indicated 145 since the Speedo is more than likely optimistic.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 11-05-2006, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Go figure. I ran 143 and change in 1995 with a RSL at the East Coast Timing Association. They measure the speed very carefully seeing as how its the premier timing group for cars and bikes in the Eastern States. The bike was stock. I KNOW that my R11S will run above 140 and can not guess what was wrong with their (motorod) bike.

As far as the R1200S............it does not matter to me what has been published or what the GPS might say..........we will run one soon at the ECTA track in Minton and then all will know for sure.........and guess what? A bone stock R1200S will run above 155 in the standing mile......no problem at all........and if all is just right..........160 plus is right there on the table ready to be tasted. Sorry guys........its that fast and I hope others who have one with a 2.62 rear will take it out and let it eat so that they can confirm what I have experienced with my bone stock unit. I didn't ask that it be this fast........but it is. Thanks for all the advice on GPS, speedometer error, magazine test and the like because we are all brothers and want the truth...........a formal timing event will tell the tale and I predict 155 plus.......no problem.

Last edited by Dr. Curve; 11-05-2006 at 03:32 PM..
Old 11-05-2006, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Would somebody do me a favor right now? Would one of the R1200S owners out there go out right now and measure the rolling distance of one rear tire revolution? Mark the center of the tire with a glop of spit, lipstick, smear of fingernail polish, whatever.........roll the bike carefully forward while holding it straight up. Roll forward far enough that the mark you made on the tire marks the pavement, or surface twice in one push forward. Measure the distance between the two dots. How far is it? 6 feet and how many inches? TIA. My bike is at the shop or I would do it here.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Sorry, a true 160+ (level ground, no wind, sea level, etc.) takes hp and aero that a stock R1200S doesn't have - period. Optimistic speedos and mechanical bravado do not repeal the laws of physics.

- Mark
Old 11-05-2006, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Hey ya'll watch this

I believe you Dr. Curve.

I work for an environmental group that monitors the changes in air speed among other things. Earlier today we were picked up a speed burst of 174 mph, and 148 just outside of the Tallahassee, Florida area.

Midvale School for the Gifted
Class of 1990.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Dismembered

refering to an earlier thread, here are some real world numbers from my 1100S., so it doesn't seem beyond the pale to think the R1200S is capable of (a lot) more.

Quote:
Originally posted by GotRoad?
OK...OK, my bike isn't quite stock but check out my GPS Max speed.

"It is difficult to get the news from poems, yet men die miserably every day from lack of what is found there" WC Williams
Old 11-05-2006, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I don't care if my R1200S can go 140 or 160+. Anything above 55 is too fast for me :-)
Old 11-05-2006, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have to agree with the Dr. that 160 MPH is possible with the 2.62 gearing for a few reasons.

First, mathematically, based on 2.62 gearing, it’s how fast the bike should be going at 8,500 RPM. With the 2.75 gearing, the speed at 8,500 drops to 152 MPH, much more in line with 151.0 MPH top speed that TWO published in September.

Second, the R1200S compares nicely to some other fast bikes of the past like the FZR1000 and GSX-R 1100 of the early nineties. Stock, they made around 110 HP and would push into the low 160’s.

Dr. Curve – I measured a 6’-5” circumference (190/50 Pilot w/ 6” wide rim) on my R1200S. Also, if you want to shave a few tenths off your time to top speed, try shifting at 8200 RPM from 4th and from 5th gear instead of redline.

1999 R1100RT Graphite, 1988 Hawk GT, 1985 VF700F Interceptor, 1981 CB400T Hawk, 1987 YSR50
Old 11-05-2006, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Dr. your opening numbers are flipped. Cycle world says top speed of 147 mph, I said I achieved 143 mph, with the speedo indicating over 150 mph. At 5,000 ft where I was riding I may have lost some power, plus I have a 2.75 rear end. And I ran out of straight road. But yes, it felt it could keep going.

Last edited by ckcarr; 11-05-2006 at 04:28 PM..
Old 11-05-2006, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

One thing GotRoad and I have in common, along with many other brothers here as well, is that neither of us mind "turning it on" when the time and road is right. We have ridden together and I KNOW he will lay the bike down low in the mountains and "let it eat" in the flats.............he and I have ridden together a number of times.

I sometimes wonder if the nay-sayers here, especially when it comes to top speed, are the kind of riders who will actually find a strip and open up a bike till it won't go any faster. I am that type and simply can't help it....... GotRoad does not mind letting the dog out when conditions are right and neither does M. Kelly, Dan Greene, Bob Hancock, Dee Jones, D. Walsh, B. Draper, F. Shockley, and a whole slew of others on this list........and we have all ridden together at times.

Why is there such total disbelief that a flagship twin (R1200S) will not run at least 15 mph faster that a previous flagship twin (R1100S) when its well known that it is geared taller, has 22 more HP, is lighter, and has less frontal area? What is the cause for disbelief here? Do some of you guys put the magazine testers in greater esteem than the actual brothers among us here who ride these twins every day rather than in a one time test? The new R1200S will run 155 and above with no problem......what makes that so hard to believe? Mine today indicated 162 and change and was still pulling............we should be happy not disbelieving.

Last edited by Dr. Curve; 11-05-2006 at 05:01 PM..
Old 11-05-2006, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hell Doc I will be just happy as a clam at high-tide @ 150 mph when I get my new scooter..come on guys...does it really matter what the top end is? Is that where most of us will spend our riding time squeaking the last Mph out? What will really put the big **** eaten grin on our puss? Naw, fast is relative to the road and the person...top speed bragging rights is usually a testicular thing...top speed only really counts at the Salt Flats with SCTA boys...my view of course..
Old 11-05-2006, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Dr. Curve,

I'll give you the benefit of a doubt...I really hope you're correct on this. Perhaps BMW is making a more accurate set of instruments these days. Certainly altitude is a factor in ckcarr's case, but his GPS seems to be snitching on his speedo.

I confess to going an indicated 145 MPH on my old '86 Yamaha FJ1200 a few times...OK, I confess it saw red-line every time I rode it.

I confess to going an indicated 135 MPH on my '99 BMW R1100S as I was trying desperately to get the jump on my riding buddy's Kawasaki ZX11...fat chance, eh? He passed me like I was parked in the slow lane and that's why I let off at 135.

I confess to going 125 MPH on my Dad's old '80 Suzuki GS850G (He was on my FJ1200 and told me we were going an indicated 125)...the GS850 had an 80 MPH Speedo (part of some forgotten federal mandate back then).

I confess to going an indicated 105 MPH on my old '94 BMW R100GS/PD for over an hour between Bamberg and Munich on the Autobahn.

Lastly, I confess I've never held my R1100S wide open till it won't go any faster...I've got a Wife and 10 Year Old Daughter at home...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD

Last edited by R111S; 11-05-2006 at 05:13 PM..
Old 11-05-2006, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Cyclone Jack

Garage
I believe Doc and I love a wide open roads with no driveways or entries of any kind so I can seek the top speed. As I have said before speedo indicated over 145mph and still pulling, so I believe the bike would do an actual 145mph. So I think the 12 could easily do the 160mph as indicated by the good doctor.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Dismembered

Again, quoting from another thread......Moto-ST.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Deans BMW
Every one had to use the same gas, Sonoco 98 at.....$6.00 per gallon. We used $440.00 worth of gas for the entire event. Just a FYI, running the R1200S with Remus Titanium Race exhaust at full throttle gets you about 15 MPG and appx 160 MPH.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Curve
The new R1200S will run 155 and above with no problem......what makes that so hard to believe? Mine today indicated 162 and change and was still pulling............we should be happy not disbelieving.
I thought it was 160+, now you're back-pedaling to 155. A perfect example on a perfect day might get into the 150's - that's consistent with a 110 hp bike with the 12's aero. But it takes 125-or-so RWHP to get a true 160 and the 12S doesn't have it. Sorry, that's what it takes - laws of physics.

And please, stop the "I'm the only one around here with balls to actually see what it will do" crap. Lots of us here top-end bikes all the time, sometimes lap after lap. And we're smart enough to realize that indicated speeds and actual speeds are two different things. And we don't feel the need to brag about how fast we are on forums.

Finally, yes, I'll take Cycle World tests over your boasting any day. It's fine to like your bike and be proud of it, but keep it within reasonable limits.

- Mark
Old 11-05-2006, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Sorry you feel that way Mark. No boasting here. Just surprised and happy that BMW has given us such a strong bike. I mentioned 155 because so many had spoke of speeodometer error. Hope you can get one of these bike at some point so you can see for yourself.

Your law of physics does seem askew however. My Mille would surely do above 160 and it did not have 125 rear HP. Sorry you see this post as a boast, but more sorry that you think our new twin is not as fast as its gearing says it is. I posted the fun we had yesterday to make everybody feel good..............and what do you get? Naysayers, put downers, and people in a bad mood. So much for brotherhood gathered around and single marque............

Old 11-06-2006, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: