Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Caberg Helmet

What are the opinions on the Caberg flip helmet. I saw one at Dunbar's Eurosport todayand am thinking about buying one. Never owned a flip before but this ones pretty good?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Thread Killer

A positive review here.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a Caberg helmet and like it in many ways. It is nice not to change from clear to dark shield. When you look down to check instruments or mirrors by moving your eyes, your vision passes the shaded inner shield into brighter area and tricks the eyes. It takes a little getting used to. When going into a gas station, flip up the face and get a warmer reception because you are un-masked. Its a little louder than my Shoei but I wear ear plugs. Its a good helmet overall.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

One more thing. The chinbar rests on my chin and takes awhile toget used to.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Went to buy one of these or similar, yesterday ... I had an Arai Tour X for use on my GS but with the new (ish) 1100S, you can't wear this type of peaked helmet because of the windblast over the top of the screen! COuld have converted the Tour X to 'peakless' but it's been an unlucky helmet and seen a crash and more drops from height than any other helmets I've owned! DOH!

Soooo ... Airoh do some similar helmets and had a look at them, too. The problem I PERSONALLY found with the internal shade is that it doesn't come down all the way so there is always a band of light at the bottom of the visor, which I found quite off-putting ... for me, I want either ALL DARK or ALL LIGHT. The convenience factor of NOT having to change visors at night was outweighed by this annoyance. In the end, I bought a full-face SHOEI and a dark visor to go with the standard clear. It takes about 30 seconds to take the second visor out of a soft carrying case, change visors on the helmet and replace the unused visor in the case. Simple.

Another concern is that NOT ALL FLIP UP HELMETS are safety tested as FULL FACE helmets ... some are safety tested as 'open face helmets' because the manufacturers cannot fully guarantee that the flip bit will stay locked in a crash ... or that's what I was once told! ANYWAY ... my TWO biggest crashes were relatively high speed high sides that saw me flipped over the bike and into the ground, FACE FIRST! BOTH TIMES led to serious damage on the chin of the helmet but a (thank goodness) injury free me ... that just makes me want to go out and buy a full-face helmet ...

To each his own and I wouldn't dream of enforcing my views on another.

By the way, Hong Kong's summers are 95 % humidity and 34 + degrees C, so a flip-up helmet would be nice at stationary traffic, just to let some air circualte, but I have made the choice to stay with the full-face type!

Cheers,

Nick
Old 11-28-2006, 04:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My father has one and loves it.I have a Shoei Syncrotec and the Caberg is a better buy.I like my Shoei, but will not hesitate to buy the Caberg.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I love mine. I have had it for about two years. It is a noisy helmet, but I wear ear plugs. The visors are expensive to replace if needed.
92 K75s
02 MZ 660 Track bike
Old 11-29-2006, 07:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Very Much for the Feedback. Noisieness and safety concerns aside it sounds good.It seemed substantial at the chinbar attachment but can be completely removed in summer. I am definitely leaning towards buying one. Martin G.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Old 11-29-2006, 08:06 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: