Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hey philip;

Thanks! I am not sure on who made the Cams Got them from a friend in Belgium took them out of a Race bike that was totaled ! As for the Valves they are the same size as the new R1200S ! I need to do the Throttle Bodies and remap running to Rich!
Please keep me in the loop with the Throttles !
1150 cylinders 12:1 pistons/ race cams, Lennies induct, Laser Boxercup II Exhaust, Ohlins shocks, Dymag Carbon Fiber Five Spoke wheels, Crossover tube removed, heads ported and polished Bigger valves installed intake and exhaust! SJ power filter, motoyoyo clamps , HID
Old 07-29-2007, 05:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
we got secret sidebar conversations going on now! is there information here that can't be shared? i am the one who started this thread and has been asking the questions. i have yet to be told who the piston manufacturer is, and i asked twice. jeez
Old 07-29-2007, 06:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Jeez....Nothing being hidden from anyone. As for pistons, you have all the same info I have. BBpower and SJBMW. Call Chris for specifics, don't try to re-invent the wheel or you'll spend way too much money and little or no performance increase. SJBMW, FosterRad and BBpower do this stuff for a living so they know what works. If you want to do the work yourself that's fine, that's what I like to do but the basic knowledge of what works best comes from the experts.

1150 and HC pistons.
+2 mm intake valves
+2mm exhaust but little gain for price (per Chris)
Clean up ports for better flow.
Cams
Bore TBs
Match TBs ID to rubber boots to heads.
Fine tune A/F

My mistake was milling the heads because it limits what you can do with cam profiles. I have spent a lot of money and time an all my R1100s projects, from the aux fuel tank to engine work, and have kept everyone on this board posted with write ups and pictures. Jeez...

Just like Eron, EZ and I have done, no secrets, just spend money and have fun.

Philip
"It's a great bike but I can make it better".

04 R1100S BCR # 195
03 R1100S BCR #44 R.I.P. new home with 'onekiwi'
Adjustable cam sprockets (not used)
Milled heads .025
Larger Valves +2mm intake & Exhaust
Ported and polished heads (just a little)
SJBMW Exhaust Accelerator Kit (modified)
Laser Exhaust
InDuct
SJ PowerFilter
Laser 2 spark Chip
K's 3.5 bar regulator
Ohlins
Sargant Seat
Throttle bodies matched to rubber mounts matched to heads
Throttle bodies venture steps smoothed out.
Exhaust pipe welds ground down
Spiegler SS Brake Lines
LED tail/stop light and turn signals
Aux Fuel Tank (6.8 gallons total)
Old 07-29-2007, 07:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddr View Post
we got secret sidebar conversations going on now! is there information here that can't be shared? i am the one who started this thread and has been asking the questions. i have yet to be told who the piston manufacturer is, and i asked twice. jeez
I bought my pistons and long rods from San Jose BMW. The pistons were made by JE and the rods by Carillo. They are both very high quality parts and although SJBMW probably changes a little more than what you might pay if you ordered them separately they did the homework to figure out what works and have put it all together in a long rod kit with wrist pins and rings.

The reason I did not go to the larger bore is that I do a lot of track days and I know the larger pistons add to the stress on the crank at high RPM. I have broken 3 cranks during my racing days and it is never fun! I also use this bike as a daily commuter so I want to keep it very reliable. I have seen 112 HP on a dyno with some fairly radical cams and a lot if ignition advance but found that I was having detonation when the engine got really hot and the valve train was wearing noticeably faster than with the stock cams. I have found the current set-up to be very reliable over the last 15K miles and 15 or so track days.

Sorry to take so long to get back to the thread that has my name in the title, but I have been very busy lately...mostly good stuff though.

Eron
Old 07-29-2007, 08:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
and erron your current setup is highcomp pistons, with long rods? stock cam, and i am guessing the larger valves, anything else? phil, what cams did you end up going with?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Currently stock cams, waiting on word from Chris on possible cams from a salvaged bike. Will let you know when I get confermation.

Philip
Old 07-30-2007, 03:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddr View Post
and erron your current setup is highcomp pistons, with long rods? stock cam, and i am guessing the larger valves, anything else? phil, what cams did you end up going with?
Yes, as I stated on the first page of this thread:
12:1 pistons with long rods (Carillo)
ported heads with larger valves from SJBMW (going from memory from a number of years ago, I think the intakes are 2mm larger and exhaust are stock size)
dual plug conversion
Remus exhaust
SJBMW intake and power filter
USB PC3

The cams are stock.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: