Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stebel Compact Nautilus Install on R1100s

I've learned a lt from accessing this forum so I just wanted to give a little back. I just installed a Stebel compact nautilus horn so I thought I'd share...

I purchased the horn from www.TwistedThrottle.com for <$40. It came with a relay and some micro printed instructions.

The Stebel unit is quite a bit larger than the stock unit.

The first task was to determine where to install it. I didn’t want to see the horn and the space “under the bodywork” is at a premium on the R1100S. To start I removed the bodywork and gas tank to expose the underlying structure.

After reviewing various options I created a simple bracket that would allow the Stebel to be mounted in the stock location. The key is the bracket must be offset to re-center the horn and to clear the fork tubes. I used 1” aluminum flat-bar to fabricate the bracket.

Here is a picture of the bracket mounted to the Stebel.

I mounted the supplied relay on the left-side on the headlight support sub-frame with a self tapping screw.

The wiring is straight forward. The supplied relay has 4 numbered connector pins. Be sure to disconnect the battery negative cable before starting.

I used the stock horn switch by simply cutting-off the plug connected to the stock horn exposing the 2 wires. I connected the ground wire (brown) to the relay pin #85. I then connected the switch’s positive wire (green) to the relay pin #86.

I ran a main power lead from the battery to the relay pin #30, with an in-line 20 amp fuse from Radio Shack, (about $3).

The relay pin #85 is connected to a ground point. I used the mounting screw at the headlight support. It’s a short run and supplies a solid ground.

The relay pin #87 connects to the horn’s positive (+) terminal. The horn’s negative (-) terminal goes to the same ground at the headlight support.

The bulk of the wiring is neatly concealed beneath the fairing. Here’s the final configuration.

With the bodywork reinstalled you can not tell it is not stock by looking at it, at least until you hit the horn.

I hope this is helpful.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks jrdinct! I've been thinking of the exact same thing and was wondering about almost everything you mentioned (and a couple I never thought of...)
I'll definitely keep your notes handy when I do mine.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the brand...I assume it is louder...yes? I can't mount it in that location...I have my HID units there now, with the smaller stock unit there as well. I may have to be a little more creative. I definitely could use a louder horn... it seams to be the only thing to get people to put their phones down!!!
'73 YAM RD350
'71 HON SL70
Old 04-04-2007, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Future BMW WSP Racer

Have you driven the bike with the horn on it yet?

I bought the same horn, and I couldn't find a good spot to put it. I tried to put it where the stock horn was, it would fit but you would lose ability to turn the wheel. You could only turn it a little to the left or right. The forks would hit the horn, and damage the forks, horn, or both.

So what I am wondering is... does the horn get in the way while turning at low speed?

Also to answer your question Rootboy, its 139dB, "Louder then a jet taking off", according to the people who make it.
and always faster, and faster, and faster - Faster
'01 BMW R1100S

Last edited by YellowRacer; 04-04-2007 at 03:58 PM..
Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I installed one a year ago, did not even have to remove the body work, and yes much louder and fuller tone.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I want one on my 1100s!

-Eff
Old 04-04-2007, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

installed stebel's on both bike and truck. Found it hard to tap politely to wake someone up at a green lite, so has a down side.

on the bike at highway speeds still had someone change lanes into me while i was on horn.

Caution horns are reactionary devices, i like my bright low beam for continual use.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have heard that while effective, the Stebel install can prove interesting assuming one desires to ride much in any fashion other than a straight line. Hmmmm... While I'll certainly revisit this opinion in light of this post, so long as we're on the topic......

Any other after market horns - ideally, smaller than soup cans that still get considerably more attention than stock, and yet not so much as to wake the dead (for the reason as stated above) that people who have done the conversion are happy with??

Clean install jrdinct.

cheers,

t.a.

Last edited by tadIV; 04-04-2007 at 07:51 PM..
Old 04-04-2007, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I wish BMW still supplied OEM horn's with some cajones.

My 89 K100RS ABS Special (awe memories, metallic blue and pearlescent white, the colors of the roundel..........) came with dual Hi/Lo Fiams that would wake the dead.

What a great bike. I bought it from my old man with 98K miles on the odometer, rode it until 130K miles, sold it to Vetteracer, and he put another ungodly amount of miles on it until it finally burned a valve.

I was severely disappointed when I hit the horn for the first time on my new S.............

BTW Vettey you need to resurrect that old girl!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yellowracer,

The horn does clear the fork tubes lock-to-lock so there is no interference. The key to getting the proper clearance is the offset bracket.

The horn is obnoxiously loud and as someone mentioned you only want to use it to get someone's attention.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I installed mine yesterday also. Had some help form the boys at http://tfogracing.com . No clearance issues and yes, it' is LOUD.

2001 R1100S
Old 04-05-2007, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The LT's have traditionally been one of the few models to come with an air horn stock from the factory. I had a '93 K1100LT, and the horns on it (dual FIAMMs) were better than the ones on my car, so I was quite taken aback when I traded it on an R1150RT and found it only had a piezo horn. Was a little disappointed that my GT also had such a weak horn.

The FIAMMs for the '92-'97 LT are listed at about $36/each, and the horns for the '97 and up LT are listed at about $46 each.

Still, why BMW chose to go from FIAMMs to piezos for everything but the LT is beyond my comprehension.

I've been tossing around in my head some way to add a timed relay to the circuit to engage the piezo for the first .5 seconds, and then add the air horn after that, to get the "polite attention-grabber" effect while keeping the "hey, jack-hole, get outta my lane" effect at the same time, but I haven't ever taken the time to figure it out.

Perhaps a running-light/turn signal relay for a car that cycles from 5V to 12V could be used? Would 5V be enough to run an air horn at a low volume, or would it hurt the compressor? If it worked, you'd have a pretty decent compromise, and a cycling loud/quiet horn would get more attention on the road than just a single loud, long blast.

Hrm....

Former bikes: '93 R100R, '93 K1100LT, '02 R1150RT, '03 K1200GT, '97 F650ST
Old 04-05-2007, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Nice first post jrdinct!

Welcome to Pelican!
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 04-05-2007, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

This thread is useless without .MP3 files.
Paul. '04 R1100S w/Öhlins an' stuff, '09 Buell 1125cr, '08 Suzi SV650A, '00 Suzi SV650, '97 328i (with sticky ass tires - I love this car even though its just a car). And the bikes I used to own: '68 Bultaco 100, '69 Honda CL450, '71 Kawasaki Mach III, '71 OSSA Pioneer, '72 Honda MR175, '72 Benelli 250, '75 Yamaha RD350 (then college), '83 Honda VF750F (then kids),'96 MZ Skorpion, '99 R1100S, '01 SV650 and '94 Honda VFR750F - most wrecked.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

go here and you'll find it

http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2007.htm

2001 R1100S
Old 04-11-2007, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
there was one of these for auction on eBay and some guy ended up paying almost $60 for it. I was in up to $50 until I did a search and saw them for $40, and then quit bidding. How does the horn sound, can you record it and post?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

shreddr,
if you're anywhere near it you'll think a train is coming at you. i installed one my new to me '99 using the relay supplied energized by the original horns supply current. then ran a new wire with fuse to the new horn and the positive terminal of the battery. i located mine just like jrdinct did his.

Keith '99 R1100S Black

Old 04-13-2007, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: