Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/)
-   -   Triple Crown, Round 2, San Diego (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/340676-triple-crown-round-2-san-diego.html)

bradzdotcom 04-11-2007 10:23 AM

Triple Crown, Round 2, San Diego

Round 2 of the Triple Crown is coming up (May 18, 19, and part of 20).
This time I'm doing it differently: i'm calling in the Marines for support.

On Friday afternoon (may 18th), we'll be treated to an insider's tour of Camp Pendleton, guided by Colonel Liston (he rode the SB round a few weeks ago).
Because we're going places we're "probably not allowed" ('cept he's the Colonel and can do anything that pleases the Colonel), we'll most likely do the tour in cages, rather than on our bikes.
After the Friday tour, we head back for tamale night at my place.

Saturday is the big ride. Last year, most of you didn't make the whole loop due to weather. We won't have that issue this year. Temps should be between 70-80 most of the day and (down in the bottom of the desert for half an hour), about 100.

Satuday night is the big dinner feast at the Colonel's place. Meat (supplied and cooked by our local butcher), turkey (local birds) and salmon (from my b-in-law in washington) to eat, plus we'll have live entertainment afterward.

Sunday is breakfast, and then you head home, with a side trip to Ortega Hwy...if you dare.

Ride Headquarters is the same place as last year: Comfort Suites Marina ((760) 722-8880. I suggest you call this week if you want a room. Like most hotels at the beach, they don't offer group rates until September (bastids!). It's a very nice place and, like last year, the Oceanside cops have agreed to cruise the parking lot throughout the weekend's evenings.

If you're going to attend, you need to go to the Triple Crown Page and click on my email address for round two. Please send me an email that includes your "real" name, what bike you're riding, your cell phone number and your home phone number.

The course will be marked again. There will be route maps and turn sheets again. I'll have the downloadable GPS route on the site next week.

This year i'll have the support of Sonny & Patrick Liston (and maybe jeffie of williams) to make sure nobody gets...ahem...lost on the ride.

Everyone who came last year claimed they were definitely coming back again (except mort, who isn't invited), so with a few more folks coming along, our total bikes will be a very manageable 20-25.

Looks like fun. Much better weather. Way more support. Hope you can join us.

SergioK 04-11-2007 10:25 AM

Oh joyus day! Woohoo, can't wait! :D

bradzdotcom 04-11-2007 11:04 AM

to enhance the Pendleton part of this ride, go watch the following two movies beforehand.
both were shot in places you'll be going:

Flying Leathernecks with John Wayne
Heartbreak Ridge with Clint Eastwood.

We'll be seeing the flightline, the "ranch house", the artillery area, a possible stop for a drink in the officer's club....and maybe one surprise stop.

IvanTT 04-11-2007 12:57 PM

hehehehe !

At least this year the hot pie in Julian will be an optional delight, instead of a mandatory survival technique.

I am looking forward to the Marine Base tour too.

bradzdotcom 04-11-2007 01:26 PM

ivan~
this year, you're not gonna get lost, so the hot pie in Julian won't be an option, 'cause you'll be too busy riding.

we will, however, have said Julian pie (hot, even) as one of the desserts on saturday.

tm1100s 04-11-2007 03:11 PM

Oh, yeah.
Humvee races and Howitzer target practice?

Any leftover complementary M-40A1's?

Jeff Williams 04-11-2007 04:19 PM

Brad,
the question I have is what will sonny let us drive/ride in and can it go boom:)
As for the help, just tell me what needs to be done or what old lady driving needs to be pulled over;)
cya
jeff

kiwi az 04-11-2007 05:11 PM

It is my intent to accompany. If only to see Ivan's next trick.

IvanTT 04-11-2007 05:15 PM

Roger - I'm taking requests

kiwi az 04-11-2007 05:37 PM

In that case, I'd like to see you riding together - all day.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/support/smileys/love.gif

(You're a lot easier to get past.)

signit98 04-11-2007 06:10 PM

Brad... we'll have to go on a ride before hand, but time may be a bit short for that one (I'll be in Germany from 4/21 to 4/30)... and whether or not I can participate is questionable, being that I will have knee surgery on my other knee in early Mai...

But, none-the-less... I want to be thrown into the mix and as such, we'll have to do the "Evaluation" ride... to make sure I am not going to be just another "Mort"... and will not be invited anymore (though I do have a spare key :)

bradzdotcom 04-11-2007 07:08 PM

signit~
not to worry. i did some digging in the motorcycle industry, and most folks tell me you're not a lunatic/ego-maniac.

you can show up.
and if it makes you feel better, bring your spare key. won't matter.

(we've since refined our "system" to rid ourselves of a-holes, and there will be three of us who have the "anti-idiot" mechanism on the SD ride.).

keys are no longer an issue.

mort taught us that one.
our new "stop the idiot" system is way better, MUCH MORE FUN, and makes us giggle hysterically in anticipation of trying it out.

jeff~
"what will sonny let us drive/ride in and can it go boom"

put it this way: you'll go places that you would never see if your head wasn't shaven and you weren't wearing camo 24/7...and sleeping in a bunkbed.
you will enjoy many things that "go boom".
you might even get a chance to drive/fly one.
and you might even get the opportunity to blow something up.

signit98 04-11-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bradzdotcom
signit~
not to worry. i did some digging in the motorcycle industry, and most folks tell me you're not a lunatic/ego-maniac.

Darn, Brad...

...darn, and here I thought all along that they made me part of that motorcycle/trackday gig on Discovery HD because I was to portray the "bad guys".... you know, the wild side of riding - like the guys in the "Wild Hogs" movie...

I'll be there if my knee allows for it...

Thank you

Ralf

Boy Wonder 04-11-2007 07:35 PM

JEFF -
I HAVE ASKED MY DAD SEVERAL TIMES IF I COULD BLOW STUFF UP AND EVERY TIME I GET THE SAME REPLY....WHEN YOU JOIN...BLAH BLAH BLAH....THE SIMULATOR ARE COOL...ITS ALL THE SAME FEELING.
AND IF YOU WANT TO RIDE ON BASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR NICE LITTLE REFLECTIVE VEST.....HAHA

Jeff Williams 04-11-2007 09:02 PM

:(

John Lyon 04-11-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

a possible stop for a drink in the officer's club....
Uh oh, I better get a haircut. Maybe I'll even shave.

I guess the Colonel isn't worried about his reputation.

John Lyon 04-11-2007 09:38 PM

Quote:

ivan~
this year, you're not gonna get lost

We weren't exactly PLANNING on it last year, big boy! I thought we were goners, eh, Ivan? Mmmm, pie...

(Gonners?)

signit98 04-12-2007 04:16 AM

You are never lost, if you don't care where you are!

IvanTT 04-12-2007 08:05 AM

It wasn't the lost part. That can always be figured out. It was the lack of visibility that had me stymied.

I know moss grows on the north side of the tree. :)

What I wasn't prepared for was the chance of snow flurries in April, in San Diego Co. Then having to ride in fog so thick that at least once I was half way up a driveway before I knew I missed the turn. :eek:
(I didn't do that on purpose John, I'm not that funny). :p

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't trade those memories. Just sitting in front of that pie an hour later made "it all" one of the best rides I have been on.

stage1scott 04-12-2007 08:35 AM

ONLY 5 WEEKS

TO GO!! brad, what time on friday do we need to plan for? gotta pick up my rental on the way down, I think