Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The other thing about the F800S: I think it might actually MAKE its own gasoline. Honestly, running down the road on a test ride with the Instant Fuel Economy on the readout, I couldn't get it to go below 35 MPG no matter how hard I flogged it, and most often ran around 50+ MPG, even only in 4th gear at 65 MPH. Readout stops at 199 MPG, though, if you get it up fast enough and pull in the clutch to coast down a hill.

Former bikes: '93 R100R, '93 K1100LT, '02 R1150RT, '03 K1200GT, '97 F650ST
Old 04-30-2007, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

I sat on an 800s at the dealer. The seating position is perfect (6' tall). I've never had such an impression of immediate comfort before.

It's also a very pretty bike. Very nice.

But as most here have observed, the pricing is way out of line. Unfortunately, they'll languish on the sales floor.
Paul. '04 R1100S w/Íhlins an' stuff, '09 Buell 1125cr, '08 Suzi SV650A, '00 Suzi SV650, '97 328i (with sticky ass tires - I love this car even though its just a car). And the bikes I used to own: '68 Bultaco 100, '69 Honda CL450, '71 Kawasaki Mach III, '71 OSSA Pioneer, '72 Honda MR175, '72 Benelli 250, '75 Yamaha RD350 (then college), '83 Honda VF750F (then kids),'96 MZ Skorpion, '99 R1100S, '01 SV650 and '94 Honda VFR750F - most wrecked.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

I dropped in at BMW Touring Sport and went over both the S and the ST. The sitting position on the mini-S as I have dubbed it is the traditional sport riding due to the clip-ons being place below the triple tree clamp. I was disappointed that you don't get a choice between the low of high seat even though they come stock as N/C. It's $295.00 if you don't like the one that the dealer ordered. BMW needs to not be so Hessian on this nominal issue. The ST with its bars mounted via a H-D style handle bar system on top of the triple tree clamp gives the oldsters a more upright touring position. The plastic is just what you see in the pictures. The system cases suck. They're just large enough to carry a small supply of oil and some rain gear. Forget about storing the leathers while you head inside for some chow. OF coarse if you want to hang any bags on the S you again have to pull out the checkbook. BMW does have a nice top box $495.00 that when used with a duffel bag on the two up seat would allow for sufficient luggage. The problem is the cost $195.00 for the luggage rack on the S. A much better solution than those cheesy system cases (plain is better)

The OEM exhaust lacks any character. The mini-S I examined had the Akropovic system installed (another $1075.00) which did improve the sound but I don't have a dyno numbers on the grunt increase. The price was quoted at $12800.00 + tax/tag/title. My tax would be 7%. We're starting to talk so money now folks.

The ride experience is going to have to really be an eye-opener to get folks to consider this bike vis-a-vis a boxer S or R. As for me the jury is still out on pulling the trigger on the mini-S.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bikpaintr
So is BMW bringing in any of the F800s without the "optional" abs?
Yep, I ordered mine that way. I'm getting the Lahar Gray, heated grips, computer, and clear lenses. I'm gonna get the rear rack for an ST and add a centerstand. Sports touring.

I'll miss the '05 BCR until I roll the new bike to the end of the driveway ...

Later,
M
Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

I'm interested in what convinced you to pull the trigger on the F800ST
Old 05-08-2007, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by phantomx
$12k for a run of the mill parallel twin with left over parts from the parts bin and a Harley Davidson belt drive and no real new technology is crazy, even the dealers agree. I can by and SV1000S that will smoke it in every way possible for half the price
Reefer madness! True, the 800S is overpriced (as usual), BUT it is much lighter and, I'm sure, better handling.

The SV, because of its attractive price, is built accordingly. The brakes and suspension are crap.
'09 CBR1000RR (w/pegs & bars, now my touring bike)
'10 S1000RR & '07 R1200S (gone, but loved 'em)
Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

<>

You need to read that article again. I read it and they said they would buy the SV based on price, and then they would throw the money they saved into better equipment. The article was specific. The SV had lousy brakes and suspension. The performance didn't compare with the R12S.
'09 CBR1000RR (w/pegs & bars, now my touring bike)
'10 S1000RR & '07 R1200S (gone, but loved 'em)
Old 05-09-2007, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
Its a great looking bike, but a bit pricey. It needs: 1. to come in black!, 2. belly pan, 3. stubby exhaust ala MotoGP, 4. tail cover like the R11, and 5. stealth license plate bracket. If they could do these mods at the same price point, it might feel more worth the price Photoshop anyone?
Old 05-09-2007, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by shreddr
Its a great looking bike, but a bit pricey. It needs: 1. to come in black!, 2. belly pan, 3. stubby exhaust ala MotoGP, 4. tail cover like the R11, and 5. stealth license plate bracket. If they could do these mods at the same price point, it might feel more worth the price Photoshop anyone?
1) gray is on the way from BMW, we may have a black one (custom) to show soon.
2) in the works by San Jose BMW
3) um, I don't know... we'll see what happens
4) passenger seat cover available from BMW
5) already done on the TWO F800S bikes owned by San Jose BMW technicians

I'll try and update everyone as things progress with these new models. Again, don't write off the F800 simply due to price. I believe that the value for your dollar is equal to or exceeds that of the R1100S. Also interesting to note that now two of the technicians who regularly ride / work on the San Jose R1200S race bike own F800S of our own. Personally, it's my fourth BMW bike, but the first one I've ever bought new (and it's replacing a Ducati 916)
Old 05-09-2007, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

To NoCALRider,
Why doesn't BM ship the seats separate and allow the choice at time of purchase to custom fit the bike to the customer? I don't want two seats for the $295.00. I see this as a customer satisfaction factor that the corporation could do with great marketing results.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nail24
To NoCALRider,
Why doesn't BM ship the seats separate and allow the choice at time of purchase to custom fit the bike to the customer? I don't want two seats for the $295.00. I see this as a customer satisfaction factor that the corporation could do with great marketing results.
I have no idea why BMW does things the way they do - I am in no position of inside knowledge or influence. Although the seat issue doesn't affect me personally, I don't disagree with your thinking. I would think that your dealer ought to be able to do something for you on that, but again, I'm not even in sales.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
Sounds good NoCal, post pics please! I have to admit the first time I saw the bike it was in a Motorcyclist article that compared it to the new R12 and gave it mediocre reviews. the visual appeal is growing on me though, I do see the potential to make it "look" really hot, the question is, how much HP can you squeeze out of this thing without sacrificing reliability? What kind of hop-up parts are being discussed/developed outside exhaust?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

> The SV, because of its attractive price, is built accordingly. The brakes and suspension are crap.

Largely true (though 2nd gen was a great deal better)

But, the F800S still has truly crappy suspension itself.
One step above bottom shelf. Some $5000 Japanese, and all 8-9000 Japanese have much much better, have have for pushing 15 years.

The F800, if we're going to talk about suspension (and neglecting cruisers) is arguably the worst suspension value on the market. Brakes are at least a bit better than an SV.

Otoh, when I'm insufficently subtle, the SV's brakes can already literally throw me out of the saddle. Just takes 3 fingers instead of 2. Not sure how much more one needs.

On the other other hand, being a suspension engineer, I'm glad BMW has left so much room for improvement. More work, of the interesting variety, for me. Cool.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 05-11-2007, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Barback King

...add another $1800 for suspension...
Old 05-11-2007, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
so basically, all the $11K+ F800S needs is, F&R suspension, exhaust, some TBD engine mods, belly pan, hugger, assorted carbon bits and aesthetic paraphenalia in order to be a hot bike, rounding things off say a conservative $15K. You can score a low mileage, executive demo R12 on eBay today for $13k, after Ohlins, exhaust, belly pan and hugger you are at $17k, so the extra $2000 gets you 40+ more HP at only 20 pounds more, and if you decide a low mileage R11 is the ticket, you can probably count on spending about $12K and have something similar to what I have: a decked out BCR! (I actually have more than that in it, but thats how it goes) all in all, even though it looks cool, and would make a nice addition to the stable, it doesnt seem to be much of an alternative to a "strategically" purchased R11 or R12
Old 05-11-2007, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tbsstunta Send a message via Yahoo to tbsstunta
Also in arguing MSRP, doesn't BMWs MSRP cover all the fees that would be tacked onto the SV1000's MSRP. If so the price is a lot closer than the 1500 stated difference.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

No,

that is done on a shop by shop basis, regardless of BMW or Suzuki.

If anything, since the Suzukis are more commonly and heavily discounted, the delta is far more likely larger, not smaller.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 05-12-2007, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by tbsstunta
Also in arguing MSRP, doesn't BMWs MSRP cover all the fees that would be tacked onto the SV1000's MSRP. If so the price is a lot closer than the 1500 stated difference.
As of 2007 BMW NA no longer includes freight in the MSRP

Even before 2007 some dealers were adding charges like frieght, set-up, and PDI that BMW NA claimed were included in MSRP.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
[i]doesn't seem to be much of an alternative to a "strategically" purchased R11 or R12 [/B]
I've looked at the alternatives and am now in the process of searching for the R11S with low miles an a portion of the warranty remaining. It's the most cost effective approach to a sport bike with a touring capability. Unless you really need the performance fix. The R11S is still mission capable.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Nail24,

FYI, TouringSport took in a Red/White/Blue BCR the other day. It has 13.6k miles on the odometer and Ohlins shocks, too. Saw it briefly today, appears to be in good shape but needs to be washed.

mfb__out

'04 1150GS
'01 RSVR
Old 05-12-2007, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: