Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Nail24
. (the r1100s) It's the most cost effective approach to a sport bike with a touring capability. .
this really hits the nail on the head(pun intended) for me.

the f800 is the answer to a question nobody should have asked. unless you happened to be looking for something just like that. but if you were, i think you were looking for a used bike and you didnt realize it.

opinions are like... well, you know the rest. but i just cant keep my mouth shut.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mfbRSV
Nail24,

FYI, TouringSport took in a Red/White/Blue BCR the other day. It has 13.6k miles on the odometer and Ohlins shocks, too. Saw it briefly today, appears to be in good shape but needs to be washed.

mfb__out
Simpsonville, SC, huh? I grew up there. Graduated from Hillcrest High. My parents still live there...when I visited last year I hardly recognized the place it's changed so much!

//good times...good times...
Old 05-13-2007, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Don't go messin' with the nail. It'll let the air out of your pilot powers. I'm trying to work out the best alternative between the R1200RT that I crashed and the ST3 that didn't really take its place. I thought the F series might be a compromise but that thought has fallen by the wayside. Working this thread is giving me the time I need, as suggested by a fellow biker, to make an educated decision this time as opposed to the ST3 decision which was made in haste.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Registered

I had a chance to put 30 miles on a F800ST this past Saturday on one of my favorite roads. Compared to my R1100S, here are my likes and dislikes:

Better than R1100S
- Smoother Engine
- More flickable – no torque reaction
- Lighter weight
- Ergonomics
- Handling – I was able to run through marked 30 MPH corners 10-15 MPH faster on the F800ST
- Belt Drive
- Fuel economy – the display showed 45 MPG throughout the thrashing
- Price

Worse than R1100S
- Exhaust note
- Styling
- Engine heat – My lower legs were sweating
- Factory hard bags

I’ll be in the market soon for a new bike and will add the F800 to my short list. I look forward to riding it back to back with a R1200S. I wonder if you can add a center stand and bags to a F800S? That would be a good combination.

-Jeff
Norton: 1974 Commando 850
Triumph: 2020 Speed Triple, 1971 T120R Bonneville
Old 05-21-2007, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jgrm1
I wonder if you can add a center stand and bags to a F800S? That would be a good combination.
Center stand option available from the factory on the ST model, and, since the frames are the same, should be available for the S. Bags are available, and are the same style as the bags on the K1200S and K1200R, but have different mount points and exhaust clearances, so they're not interchangable between different models.

Former bikes: '93 R100R, '93 K1100LT, '02 R1150RT, '03 K1200GT, '97 F650ST
Old 05-22-2007, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
i keep thinking i might want one of these, but its got some room for "visual" improvement (the engine needs are a given). the rear wheel is practically obliterated on both sides, on the one by the exhaust and the other by the massive drive sprocket. given that BMW makes such an effort to make the wheels look nice this is a shame and a very large over sight. This bike needs a dualie tail exit ala R11&12, and a smaller final drive ring.

in addition it needs a belly pan, ohlins shock, and ohlins upside down fork! and it needs to come in black! with that kind of bling, i would swoop one up and make the effort to get the HP, but for right now it seems to need so much for me.

speaking of HP, do any of you who have purchased one of these, find wheelies to be easy, or same difficulty as the R11, (i know, Nate can wheelie forever on an R11, but he could probably wheelie an HD Bagger). I think I finally realized what it is about my bike that makes me want to consider a different machine. sitting still it looks like the fastest thing on the planet, and i get the vibe that this thing should hoist the front wheel just by rotating the throttle. the reality is that i need to be in the right gear, at the right rpm, going uphill, with a little bump in the road to get off a wheelie. if my BCR wheelied at command, there would be no consideration for another. comments?
Old 06-09-2007, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by shreddr
i keep thinking i might want one of these, but its got some room for "visual" improvement (the engine needs are a given). the rear wheel is practically obliterated on both sides, on the one by the exhaust and the other by the massive drive sprocket. given that BMW makes such an effort to make the wheels look nice this is a shame and a very large over sight. This bike needs a dualie tail exit ala R11&12, and a smaller final drive ring.

in addition it needs a belly pan, ohlins shock, and ohlins upside down fork! and it needs to come in black! with that kind of bling, i would swoop one up and make the effort to get the HP, but for right now it seems to need so much for me.

speaking of HP, do any of you who have purchased one of these, find wheelies to be easy, or same difficulty as the R11, (i know, Nate can wheelie forever on an R11, but he could probably wheelie an HD Bagger). I think I finally realized what it is about my bike that makes me want to consider a different machine. sitting still it looks like the fastest thing on the planet, and i get the vibe that this thing should hoist the front wheel just by rotating the throttle. the reality is that i need to be in the right gear, at the right rpm, going uphill, with a little bump in the road to get off a wheelie. if my BCR wheelied at command, there would be no consideration for another. comments?
Yep, sounds like you judge the goodness of a motorcycle by its bling and how easily it wheelies. To each his own.

- Mark
Old 06-09-2007, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
yeah, and bling means something different to each of us, did you notice my bling is about handling performance enhancement, and just cleaning up the look of something that appears "cobbled" as far as the wheelies, having a long time dirt riding/racing background, it was all about gettng the front end up, and catching air. i never felt the need to apologize for digging that, and i still dont. what floats your boat, 2 more miles per gallon than your buddy's bike?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Registered

heres another shift for this thread....

if they did make an f800GS, does belt drive work out for a gravel machine? any educated opinions? i dont know a thing about these belts, but the idea of an 800gs appeals to me.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by shreddr
yeah, and bling means something different to each of us..
"Bling" was your term, not mine, and we all know exactly what it means and it has nothing to do with performance enhancements.

- Mark
Old 06-10-2007, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

That looks good.

www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 06-10-2007, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Thread Killer

An HP version of the F800S would be interesting...
Old 06-10-2007, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by lightfighter
heres another shift for this thread....

if they did make an f800GS, does belt drive work out for a gravel machine? any educated opinions? i dont know a thing about these belts, but the idea of an 800gs appeals to me.
It won't be, unless they really don't plan on it being an off road machine, like the Ulysess. That's my educated opinion.

150 miles from home.

Last edited by ckcarr; 06-10-2007 at 06:35 AM..
Old 06-10-2007, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Shreddr, no belly pan for the U.S. market. Those Germans know how sue happy us 'mericans are and they won't be repeating those mistakes again.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Registered

what lae suit would result from a belly pan????
Old 06-10-2007, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

New review:

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=697&Itemid=126

The variant of this bike to have will be the GS, widely rumored to be available fall/winter.

- Mark
Old 06-10-2007, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

I got to ride a session at Thunderhill on a F800 yesterday and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It has a good chassis although I would want to upgrade the shock and fork internals for track use. Even with stock suspension it was a lot of fun!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Eron, were you up there with Brian and the boys from SJ?
www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 06-11-2007, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Hey Eron,

Good to see you pop up here. How's it going out there.
How was rebound on the front. I've layed hands on a couple
and found the front's seemed to vary a lot (just statically bouncing and looking at rebound) One fast and one really fast. Curious what you thought.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Öhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-11-2007, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: