Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Regnat populus

Garage
BMW Roundel F 800 S

Tasty!

Robert Foster

FOSTER RAD
LASER Engineering Exhaust Systems
RapidBike USA
Oakland Gardens, NY
Robert@FosterRAD.com
718-468-4680

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
evil bastard

Oooh, a military edition.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Looks like something that Steve McQueen used to jump over a fence...
Old 04-24-2007, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Cool, that'll match my faded old Aerostich ...

Heh,
M
Old 04-24-2007, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Glad they make an "S" BMW in four flavors now...choices, choices...darn I haven't any garage space for em.

1) K1200S
2) R1200S
3) R1200S-HP
4) F800S
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 04-24-2007, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Future BMW WSP Racer

I don't know about you but in the picture it looks kinda off green. Its really silver, not green.
and always faster, and faster, and faster - Faster
'01 BMW R1100S
Old 04-25-2007, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I seriously considering one of these beasts. I need to hear from some owner-operators. No drool just facts guys. It is ideal in seat height for us stubby stumps. Clearance looked real good on the one i sat on at BMWOA.
OK, let's get some road test feedback.

Belt Drive is so H-D.

Last edited by Guest24; 04-25-2007 at 02:17 PM..
Old 04-25-2007, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Barback King

Yellow good time

...I rode one few weeks back but I didn't really get to wring it out because we where playing "follow the test ride gude dude"...
Short version, about what I expected from a modern parallel twin, responsive, revvy, lots of gears to fiddle up and down with.
I really liked the neat-o appointments like the speedo/tach doin' the calibration dance on ignition. Yellow and black looked cool.
Ergos where doable, even for me. I felt immediately at home.
Best part for me was the handling, precise, very rail-ish, very non-paralever, nice for a change.
Suspension was firm but not jarring...aftermarket would be a possible must have in the future.
If I had a spare $10-large it would be a great second or third bike, just becausse it's so fun to ride.
I wanna do it again!
Old 04-25-2007, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Future BMW WSP Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Nail24
I seriously considering one of these beasts. I need to hear from some owner-operators. No drool just facts guys. It is ideal in seat height for us stubby stumps. Clearance looked real good on the one i sat on at BMWOA.
OK, let's get some road test feedback.

Belt Drive is so H-D.
Can you wait till July?... I'll be taking one for a test ride for the BMWMOA. I'll most likly be riding an F800S or ST (Hoping "S") to the BMWMOA Nationals (West Bend, WI) from St. Louis, Missouri
and always faster, and faster, and faster - Faster
'01 BMW R1100S
Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Mine's on order

I rode the new bikes at BMW New Model Training down in FL last month - us dealers are required to attend such outings.

The F800's are a lot of fun; interesting character, almost the power of my BCR and a lot less weight. I drank the BMW Kool-Aid so after I got back home I placed my order in the Dealer Order Bank and am waiting for the "Lahar Gray" bike to be built and shipped.

The red and yellow colors are fine but my last S was Titan Silver and I liked that bike, colorwise, a lot. Attracted a lot less law-enforecment attention than the BCR does. So I'm gettin' another silvery-colored machine.

I already talked to the local Laser rep and will get their slip-on to free up a couple more horsepowers and lose a couple pounds. The stock bike sounds really good so I'm sure the slip-on will be pretty damn cool.

Later,
M
Old 04-25-2007, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowRacer
Can you wait till July?... I'll be taking one for a test ride for the BMWMOA. I'll most likly be riding an F800S or ST (Hoping "S") to the BMWMOA Nationals (West Bend, WI) from St. Louis, Missouri

yeah i can wait maybe uh possibly uh whatever. I've only got my 900FE now and it's at my NC location and it's real hard to no pull the triggeer on another ride.

I'll be very interseted in your distance ride from an iron but perspective. I prefer clothing so the ST is more appealing to my taste.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I demo'd an F800ST at Secondwind's open house a couple weeks back. I thought the handling was fantastic. The engine was very friendly and pretty willing.

Any power deficit (to the R1100S) is pretty well offset by its lower weight. I really liked the package as a whole.

I'd love to someday have a GS or an R version of the bike.

2012 Ducati Streetfighter S
2013 BMW R1200GS
2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R
Old 04-26-2007, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by slowrider
I demo'd an F800ST at Secondwind's open house a couple weeks back. I thought the handling was fantastic. The engine was very friendly and pretty willing.

Any power deficit (to the R1100S) is pretty well offset by its lower weight. I really liked the package as a whole.

I'd love to someday have a GS or an R version of the bike.
Any comments on vibration in the bars, seat or pegs? If so how much considering from an iron butt point of view.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I went down and priced one yesterday and OMG!!!!!!! $12,700 for a couple options on the ST ABS for an 800cc twin WITHOUT BAGS! Bags was another $900! That is absolutely LUDICRIS! For $600 LESS I can buy the Ducati ST3 WITH bags! Heck for $2k more I can buy the K1200S and blow the doors off the F800 in every respect.

I spent some time down there muddling it over and even the dealer was PO'd over the pricing. He told me he would sell it to me at cost but that was still over $11000, for an 800. I just couldn't justify so much for so little. At that price I could buy a Busa, ZX-14, VFR800, or any other number of motorcycles that are as good or better.

Ah well thank you BMW for letting me keep my money...
2006 VFR800

Last edited by phantomx; 04-27-2007 at 07:03 AM..
Old 04-27-2007, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

12000?!?

OMG. BMW, do you py people to read these boards!?!!? i hope so. sooo many guys i see love my bike, but wont un-ass their yama-hon-zuki for a beemer cuz there is no way economically for them to get in and feel the love. i thought the 800 might be that way coming, but not at 12k.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
save your $12K and scoop up one of the R12's that will be up for sale on this board after the HP is released. I do like the bike though, but at about half the price.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The F800 is sweet. I'm a BMW master tech, I ride BMWs every day, and I'd bet that I've spent more time with the R1200S than any other BMW tech in the US (read: built the San Jose BMW race bikes). The F800 is one of the very most fun bikes I've ever ridden. I dreamt of buying an R1200S for the past year, but last week I bought an F800S instead. 500 miles in the first two days. More miles to come after I return home from the MOTO-ST race at VIR. Don't overlook or discredit the F800 - it feels like a 3/4 scale R1200S and to me it's actually more fun. The R1200S is a blast, but it's still a big and heavy bike with gobs of power (almost too much). The F800 is fast enough to be fun when you beat it, it turns amazingly well, and it's small enough that you can throw it around at will. Oh, maintenance should be dirt cheap when compared to the boxer too. Like I said, I ride BMWs all day, every day, and this one is a blast. Do yourself a favor and take a healthy test ride. Be sure to rev the engine until you see the little red light on the dash blink and you'll be smiling. Got to sleep now - MOTO-ST practice in 5 hours.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by NoCalRider
The F800 is sweet. I'm a BMW master tech, I ride BMWs every day, and I'd bet that I've spent more time with the R1200S than any other BMW tech in the US (read: built the San Jose BMW race bikes). The F800 is one of the very most fun bikes I've ever ridden. I dreamt of buying an R1200S for the past year, but last week I bought an F800S instead. 500 miles in the first two days. More miles to come after I return home from the MOTO-ST race at VIR. Don't overlook or discredit the F800 - it feels like a 3/4 scale R1200S and to me it's actually more fun. The R1200S is a blast, but it's still a big and heavy bike with gobs of power (almost too much). The F800 is fast enough to be fun when you beat it, it turns amazingly well, and it's small enough that you can throw it around at will. Oh, maintenance should be dirt cheap when compared to the boxer too. Like I said, I ride BMWs all day, every day, and this one is a blast. Do yourself a favor and take a healthy test ride. Be sure to rev the engine until you see the little red light on the dash blink and you'll be smiling. Got to sleep now - MOTO-ST practice in 5 hours.
Thanks for the post. Do you think the ST will perform as well as the S? No mention of vibration. When you get a chance let me hear more on the thread.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

NoCalRider

I've got a few questions if you got the time. I just bought a F800st and have put 800 miles on it. I'm having trouble deciding if I should have the clutch ( friction washer ) and pully mod ( cush drive ) done. I like to ride fast, hard in the twisties, pull wheelies etc. Recently I have had a lot of trouble getting the bike to go into 1st w/o double clutching, downshifting from 70mph - 90 mph to 1st when approaching a light is getting grindy, even with blipping the throttle. I understand that the mods will probably resolve these issues, but at what cost ? Will I loose that quick snap of the throttle when the cush drive goes in and end up getting a lexus type ride instead of a sport ride? How long can a rubber cush drive last when you ride hard ? I also hear that the bike vibes increase with the cush pully. Since you have so much experience with bmw and the 800's I'd appreciate your input as my dealer is of little help. Thanks
Old 04-28-2007, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I'm thinking seriously about getting a F800s when I get home instead of the r1200s. The r12 is a sexy beast but the f800 really makes more sense. For a small, light guy like me, it's probably the better bike. I will miss the telelever though.

$12k for a Beemer is money well spent.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: