Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Rapido, if it's raining ... watch out for the yellow lightning Armo brigade.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Guys, do you think a fully loaded S (system cases and big tailbag) can do 140 miles of twisty roads on one filling of fuel? I ask because in my research, this would be the furthest stretch of road with only one fuel stop. Unless someone happens to know of another fuel stop along this route. Anyone?

Old 05-11-2007, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Barback King

HELL yes! Unlees you've got your fuel nanny cranked up to 11, loaded or not your fuel consumption should hardly change.
Just for piece of mind, have your riding partner carry extra fuel...
Old 05-11-2007, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Amature Professional

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to IvanTT
Sergio,

There are a lot of sections where you could turn off you engine and coast to save fuel too
Old 05-11-2007, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Thanks guys.

Ivan, you mentioned Monitor Pass... we most likely will be taking SR4 instead of SR108. Would it be better to hang a left on SR89 then to SR88? Or stay on SR89 to the 395 and to Topaz Lake?

On the off chance we take the 108 over to the 395, then we'll most likely go 89--->88---Tahoe.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Location: Purgatory: Heaven won't take me and Hell's afraid I'll take over
Quote:
Originally posted by SergioK
.. we most likely will be taking SR4 instead of SR108. Would it be better to hang a left on SR89 then to SR88? Or stay on SR89 to the 395 and to Topaz Lake?

On the off chance we take the 108 over to the 395, then we'll most likely go 89--->88---Tahoe.
SR4 is a great hunk of pavement. But try to duck off Hwy 49 just North of Sonora to Columbia. Then scrub peg on Parrotts Ferry road to SR4.

East on SR4 is a hoot. Try to slow down for a look a Calaveras Big Trees State Park. Just a loop through the parking area will humble you.

Pavement narrows near the top. You will not want to speed anyway.

Once over the top ~9000ft. you will drop into the Carson drainage then you will ride the banks of the East Carson for a very short time then TURN RIGHT ON 89 !!!!!

RIDE MONITOR !!!!

Then turn around at 395 and

RIDE IT AGAIN !!!!

Then back to Markleeville, West on 88/89, then North to Tahoe.

You'll see why
Old 05-11-2007, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

!!++++Monitor Pass ++++!
2002 Honda XR650R-Baja winner
1998 Yamaha Warrior sport quad
Old 05-11-2007, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Amature Professional

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by KeepTheShineyPartUp.com
SR4 is a great hunk of pavement. ... TURN RIGHT ON 89 !!!!!

RIDE MONITOR !!!!

Then turn around at 395 and

RIDE IT AGAIN !!!!

Then back to Markleeville, West on 88/89, then North to Tahoe.

You'll see why
I totally agree!
Then head into Markleeville. Take the 88 North to the 206 (left) which will bring you to the 207 / Kingsbury Grade. The view dropping into the Tahoe Basin is fantastic from there. AND unless you enjoy traffic (are you in Tahoe during the weekend?) head around the east side of the lake. The west side has the view of Emerald Bay but typically a ton of traffic (and LEO's). I would just buy the post card and go East young man. Better vista IMHO and it drops you right near Steve's place. that's my 2 cents.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Pass opened on Friday guys just for info...
Old 05-13-2007, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Amature Professional

Garage
Sergio,
Just saw this on Pashnit.
>>
108 was not so great. fresh tar snakes were extra goopy. i didn't enjoy the feeling of an 800 lb. motorcycle wiggling through corners. i stopped and stepped on a snake and it was really yucky. be careful. <<

SR4 is the way to go!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

199 is a nice (unexpectedly so) road. AndyM and I just did it. Watch for wild turkeys.

The road in and out of Lassen (89?) is a good one too, but I haven't done it in a few years.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Monitor Pass it is!

Depending on our fuel, time, etc, we'll either ride it once, or up and back again. I figure it's a nice stretch as my Garmin mapping software didn't particularly like to route us through that section. I had to enter in a half a dozen waypoints in order to 'force' it to route us up and over the pass.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Barback King

unless you planning to hookup at 395 it wouldn't be worth much to run down and back. once you get past the pass proper and come out on the flatlands on 89 to 395 it's all pretty flat and bla...
Old 05-14-2007, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Turns out SR120 through Yosemite is now open... so we'll be going through Yosemite on this one.

Then, it's a relatively straight shot up to Monitor Pass via the 395...

Two crossings of the Sierra Nevadas in one day. Should be quite nice. Tomorrow is D-day!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Amature Professional

Garage
Okay but if you have been in Yosemite already... I would still do SR4.)

Now that I think about it even though the road if kinda boring, I have to say that the section of 395 between Highway 120 and Coleville is beautiful (Especially Mono Lake and Bridgeport area.

Maybe you could do a up and back on SR4 on the back side. It is that side of the Sierra's that is by far the most spectacular.

You could gas up in Coleville, head up monitor pass turm left on SR4 and take it up to Alpine Lake then turn around and head back to Markleeville.

What ever you do have fun (I know you will!!!) and Take Pictures!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SergioK
Turns out SR120 through Yosemite is now open... so we'll be going through Yosemite on this one.

Then, it's a relatively straight shot up to Monitor Pass via the 395...

Two crossings of the Sierra Nevadas in one day. Should be quite nice. Tomorrow is D-day!

Last edited by IvanTT; 05-22-2007 at 02:10 PM..
Old 05-22-2007, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Well, Sergio and Arbi rolled into town last night around 7pm. After getting a beer and settled in, we went to the local fancy schmancy pizza joint and split a duck sausage pizza and had another beer. Sergio and Arbi treated, so they're invited to come back. Those guys have a ton of pictures and videos, and Sergio did some fantastic work hand-holding the camera while riding. Arbi's memory card was nearly full, so we copied the images onto a disc to make room for more. Arbi really enjoyed Gromit, Zeke, and Bodhi, so he's welcome to come back. This morning we rode to Tahoe City to have breakfast at Rosie's on the way out. I joined them for about 4 hours, then returned home. Ray Taylor's friend Rick (who rode the Tahoe Triple Crown last year on the K1200RS) rode by on his bicycle, so he joined us for breakfast...

From left to right, Sergio, me, Rick, and Arbi:

The Sergio pack mule:

The black demon:

The Arbik Rockster. Arbi's huge. Fortunately, he knew I was just joking about Rocksters earlier...

Scenic photo op:

The Long Way Round California travelers. They're working on figuring out which one is Ewan and which one is Charlie...

On the way back, I went by the sign we passed heading out:

Then some cattle...

Fun day! Stop by anytime...
Old 05-26-2007, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Duck sausage pizza? Born and raised in Chicago I have to say that is just not right!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Quote:
Originally posted by ckcarr
Duck sausage pizza? Born and raised in Chicago I have to say that is just not right!

+1

Nice pictures Steve....
Old 05-26-2007, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Thread Killer

Geez... The Uncle Lou's pizza also had italian sausage, portabello mushrooms, and sun dried tomatoes. It was gud...
Old 05-26-2007, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Top of Kennedy Meadows...

Into the Sequoias we go...

Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: