Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
The Arbik & Sergiok Cali Trip

So Arbik and I have been planning a circle trip through California. We plan on camping and moteling it along the way. We have a total of 6 days to do this and figure we can get about 350-400 miles under our belt a day (maybe more) but here's the basic jist of our route:

First leg departs from So Cal, up through Tujunga, over into h3ll (hola rapido!), up to base of the Sierras via the 14/395 then up and over the range via Kennedy Meadows Pass and Sherman Pass. We'll snake our way up into the Sequioas.

Leg 2 consists of going either through Yosemite or completely around it. Hopefully SR120 will be open by the time we depart but that remains to be seen. Either way, we'll be sure to honk and we pass by Bingo's neck of the woods.

The third leg takes us by lovely Lake Tahoe (what's up Carlton?!) and ends by lake Alamanor. I'm sure there's a couple things to see around here...

The fourth leg will take us into the Mt. Shasta area and if we aren't completely wiped out by then, into the redwood forest. Our return south is tentatively routed via the 101 the majority of the way but we may just superslab it back if our schedule is completely butchered by our oogling of the sites we see along the way.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

hey let me know when you're in the area. I live in San Jose. be happy to show yous ome the THE most bad ass places to ride.

also check out www.southbayriders.com and www.pashnit.com -Tim
Old 05-03-2007, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Great trip you two have planned! Wish I could join ya
1989 K100RS - White/Blue, Remus; 1999 R1100S - Mandarin Orange, Remus, Ohlins; 2007 G650XCountry - Black/Silver, iStorm Luggage - Wilbers 75mm Lowered shock for the wife!; 2003 BCR #57 - Jeff's bike ; 2009 G477X - Akrapovic, WP Trax, SpeedBrain Goodies
2000 ///M5 - Custom Black & Blue, Dinan goodies
Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Looks like fun! When you guys going?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

In two weeks!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Barback King

Most excellent route, my vote is definitely go thru Yosemite just so you can do Monitor Pass on the east side down to Lee Vining...one of the best sweeper roads in the state.
6 days to do this trip is a good amount for a casual pace.
What date are you leaving?
PVR and I will be heading out for an overnighter in Monterey Friday 5/18...
Old 05-04-2007, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Looks like a good route! I wish I could join, but timing isn't very good for me
Old 05-04-2007, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

We're planning on leaving the 23rd... (I say planning cause we're both still prepping).
Old 05-04-2007, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Barback King

...preppies that you are...
Old 05-04-2007, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Amature Professional

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to IvanTT
Hey Sergio,
Great trip planned!
The only thing I would add is a right turn on 89 toward Markleeville off the 395 as you are approaching South Lake Tahoe. The right turn is just before you reach the town of Topaz (which is across the California/Nevada boarder on 395). It is just a little detour that takes you toward Highway 4. It is a fun tight twisty road with great views. In Markleeville is a gas station that is card operated and open 24 hrs (but no service other then gas). Then from the 89 take the 88 west/north to 206 to the 207 up Kingsbury grade like you have mapped out

mmmmm good curves~
Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Thanks for the suggestion Ivan... I'll have to make some route changes.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sounds like fun, Sergio. All great roads and sights. California is an amazing state.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Location: Purgatory: Heaven won't take me and Hell's afraid I'll take over
Hwy 108 over Sonora Pass is a great ride --

High speed sweepers, good pavement, twisties, great scenery, low week-day traffic ... 'cept

Sonora Pass, if open, will be wet and/or slippery this time of year..

... when you drop over, you will ride by my budd's at the USMC's High Mountain Training Base.

You will then ride the Walker River into Topaz. Ivan speaks the truth ... RIDE MONITOR!

turn LEFT off 395N to 89W over Monitor Pass to Markleeville

you will want to ride it again ... if you have time

thing is ... you may not make it over Sonora much less Monitor Pass ... this time of year ...

but ... if the roads are clear and you make it to the Tahoe/Kirkwood area ...
Look me up, I'll feed and house ya. The Squaw makes the best acorn bread this side of the Rockies
Old 05-06-2007, 12:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

www.southbayrders.com

this is our local area website. we have tons of roads planned.

if you want some technialy sweepers and good fun in a BEAUTIFUL area, check out highway 9 in Los Altos. also you should look for a place called Alices Cafe. world renound biker spot. always a must see if you're heading out this way.

I would LOVE to see a few more S riders out here, but sadly an injury I recieved while dirtbiking is keeping me off my beloved BCP. happy trails! feel free to email me if you need anything while you're in the bay area. -Tim
Old 05-06-2007, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

don't forget to stop at grumpy bears for ice cream while going through kennedey meadows.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Shiney, thanks for the heads-up on possible road conditions over the pass and of course the hospitality... we may just take you up on that one too so keep an eye out for us!

Varmit, gotta check out that ice cream place... me thinks it may not be in Mrs. Garmin's database.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

it's sort of the only thing between pearsonville and sherman pass.

wish i could go with you all. it's a miserable hot day in los angeles. need to get away from this city.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Lemme know when you're strafing Tahoe, maybe I can join the formation for a while. Also, you guys are welcome to stay at my tepee and rest on soft furs.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Ooooh... soft furs... me likes!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Barback King

...but you gotta bring your own Power Ranger jammies...

Old 05-08-2007, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: