Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

cuz mexico and venezuela have such great governments. eesh, thats scary.

dont forget that power and control is infectious. once the gov has oil, and healthcare, whats next? housing? food?

Old 05-21-2007, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

We still have the cheapest fuel in the modern world. I have been in countries where gas is cheaper than here and you will need a GS.

Lane
Old 05-21-2007, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
Quote:
Originally posted by pmc847
It's my understanding that the U.S. has enough oil reserves (in the ground) to last us at least 50 years without importing one drop of foreign oil.
Phillip, that seem to be the concensus - for whatever wild reason - ONLY amongst American "experts" the rest of the world is less optimistic and the number published in Europe's scientific journals varies from 25 to 40 year TOTAL WORLD WIDE reserves for crude oil...

Any which way we look at it, there is a likelyhood that it might be over during our lifetime, but certainly for the next generation... alternative energies are readily accessible but usually swept away by the oil lobby.

Sure, it's a little more expensive to produce alternative fuels but, as it has been mentioned, it will get more expensive for mineral fuel as we go along... Europe's average Gas price is hovering around $7.00 for a gallon of gas... guess why they do not have any gas guzzling V8 driven humongous SUV's?

The blame? You can point your fingers to the greed of the oil companies... or the need for the developing coutries like China... but, how about the gas wasting citizens of the US? We are almost all guilty as charged... and, the only way to prolong the inevitable is to either drive less or to drive more economical vehicles...

I get 45 mpg on average out of every single one of my motorsikkles...
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 05-21-2007, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by R1100SPORTour
The true answer to the screwing from those greedy bastards would be what Mexico or Venezuela did.To monopolyze and make the gas companies state owned.Of course that will never happen in the US of A where making a "healthy profit" is a god given right to the few capitalists who benefit.That is why we pay soon $4 a gallon while PEMEX in mexico sells their gas for $2 and the venezuelans pay $0,20...
Same with our "great" medical system but this is another story...

You have a right to invest in these companies and reap the same benefits as all of the other "capitalists" (read: shareholders).
Maybe you'd have a different opinion if you joined the XOM club @ $35 per share back in 2003, $45 per share in 2004, $55 per share or even $65 per share in 2006. We closed at $83.59 today.
Heck, the dividends alone aren't too shabby.

Last edited by BSnyder; 05-21-2007 at 06:28 PM..
Old 05-21-2007, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Banned

Been to Mexico lately?Don't believe the lies they tell us every day.
Of course a lot of poverty like here in the US but also very modern in other regards and for sure much more free than the US.
Go riding down there and you see what I mean!
I'd rather pay $2 for better gas run by the government than get screwed by some private greedy bastards...
Of course gas in europe ist still a little more expensive but don't forget 80% of the continental european gas price is tax which does good things for europeans like roads,retirement and health benefits while the US gas hikes are almost only big profits for the few who screw the rest of us...
I'll ride my S even more and my next car will be a economical little Diesel.I'm soo tired of getting screwed by our government.First the big-tax bill for the war in iraq to get screwed at the pump just that a few already super rich people can make even more on our backs...
Old 05-21-2007, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Your posts make it obvious that you'd be happier as a citizen of another country. Fortunately, our border crossings have traffic flowing in both directions and most of our airlines offer international travel.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered

i live 13 miles from the border. ive been there. ive also been to a few places courtesy of uncle sam. never wanted to stay in any of them. mexico, in particular, is a nice place to visit, but with the absence of a middle class, a bad palce to live, in my mind.

but anyone who thinks thats the way to go is free to go.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Banned

lightfighter give it another 10 or so years and the middle class unfortunately will be gone north of the border,too.If we don't get some radical political changes before it is too late.And yes mexico is a very nice place to visit,especially on a motorcycle...
Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

i think the american middle class will survive... they just wont be able to afford gas.(haha) but that is what makes our system work. when gas is too costly, capitolism will kick in and someone will get rich making a car(or m/c) that runs on pee.

goverment paid administrators dont acheive remarkable things, because they dont get paid too...
Old 05-21-2007, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

In today's news...

NORWALK, Conn., May 25, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- ExxonMobil, BP, Royal Dutch Shell, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, and Total spent a record $63 billion on share repurchases and another $35 billion in dividends in 2006, according to a study by energy industry research and consulting firm John S. Herold, Inc.
***The Big Six returned 53% of cash flow to shareholders, up from a five-year average of 45%.***
Old 05-25-2007, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
don't know if this has been covered, but figured i'd throw it into the mix: supposedly there hasn't been a new fuel refinery built in the US in the last 30 years. they're complicated, difficult to build and take a long time to complete.
seems to me they're just a big old fashioned whiskey still, using the "cracking" method to refine fuel...but what do i know, i just grab the nozzle, fill the tank and avoid looking at the total.

every once in a while i'll fill up my van. then it sits in the driveway. as the price of fuel goes, up my van is suddenly worth more money than the week before!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
time wasting tosser

Quote:
Originally posted by bradzdotcom
don't know if this has been covered, but figured i'd throw it into the mix: supposedly there hasn't been a new fuel refinery built in the US in the last 30 years. they're complicated, difficult to build and take a long time to complete.
1976, but the biggest problem is that it costs billions to build with little to no return, plus on top of that, nobody wants to live next to one so the environmetalists and lawyers knock down any proposals before they can get any legs.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
gee, that's got to be really helping the cause, eh?
that'd be like "nope, we're not going to birth any more cows. nobody wants to live near 'em."

starting to sound like we all might need to practice holding our foot still so we can shoot it.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

I think Bush proposed building the refineries and nuclear power plans on military bases so people wouldn't object to having them in their back yard. But like George said the environmentalists, lawyers and the EPA kill it before it can get off the ground. And then there is all that oil that is under our own feet that we cant even drill for and use. Hard to figure why things are the way they are.

Lets ride.

Philip
Old 05-25-2007, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

give it a little more thought. think long term....
Old 05-25-2007, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Registered

i hate ti say it but long term is what need be considered on the "local" inground reserves. it matters little what it costs us to drive to the mall, or even work, in a big suv. if the whole blue marble runs out of oil, and we dont have a 20 or 30 year supply for defense and infrastructure, its "lights out" for the good ole usa.

when opec dries up, we will need oil lead time to finally switch over to whatever new fuel source ends up picked. and dont let anyone kid you, the oil companies can only keep down a good alternative for so long. the suppression of new tech will ultimatly mean that the new tech that breaks out will be something too good to supress.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Registered

Looking at the big picture this fuel thing is a little blip in time, a gift that the earth gave us. It is easy to make and use and provides a lot of power relative to cost. -----!------------. That is time is what our gift will look like. I have a problem feeling sorry for anyone because everyone knows fuel is running out and what do we do about it, we make big suv`s. I will say this, I missed the tech. stock market boom I will not miss the alt. fuel and new sources of energy, ie. wind, solar and auqa turbine and hydro boom. I will happen. I also think it might help our country a little. Those big boats comming in from china is going to get very $$$$ when a barrel cost $200 and it will at some point cost 200 dollars a barrel. which would make fuel about $10 at the pump.

Lane
Old 05-25-2007, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

'journals varies from 25 to 40 year TOTAL WORLD WIDE reserves for crude oil...'

the REAL!!!! best honest true estimates of 'in-ground reserves' are among the most closely guarded secrets around.
Many things depend on that estimate, not the least of which is the stability of a feudal, radical monarchy that, in any other circumstance, we would like to overthrow as an 'axis of evil'.
since the saudis are businesspeople, and business in the middle east is lubricated with cash in a manner we would condemn as illegal, can you imagine how fast the house of saud would falll if the bad guys( content to take a payoff as long they don't stir the pot) figured out they only had 10 years of payola left?
NO ONE out side of the oil companies has an ACURATE pictue of in-ground reserves. Possibly the white house inner circle, and they aren't talking.
I'm digging it all now, and when it hits the fan, I'll deal with it then.
My mountain bike might get more valuable.

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

and if you care and or dare, read 'Crossing The Rubicon; the decline of the american empire at the end of the age of oil' by Mike Ruppert for a perspective on all this that's closer to reality than anything else I've seen out there.
If you dare. And have an open mind. your mind only works when it's open to data, all corrobrateable.

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered

I`ve heard about that book, I`m going to get it. Its going to be interesting. I think we can weather this thing ok, If the price continues to rise at a steady rate that will force changes In the way we consume over a period of time. If it happens fast we are screwed.

Lane

Old 05-25-2007, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: