Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

hey, i'm just an options trader in chicago and english is my second language (according to my mom). and i'm human so sometimes my wording is not as careful as it should be. i appreciate the edits and corrections.

heres something with a university in the title... could be biased but it has that graph i was talking about.

http://gwfact.rso.wisc.edu/history.html

Old 05-30-2007, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

righto. go about your business. Just putting it out for those who might be undecided/uninformed. For those that dont care? dont drag the rest of us into your world of denial. I fully expect technology to save us as i assume you do too. i'd just like the transitions to be a little smoother for my offspring (if thats possible).
Old 05-30-2007, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Another point of view from scientist. To me the jury is still out on what really is causing the warming, I believe the sun has more to do with it than C02. That doesn't mean we don't clean up our act because we do pollute and waste and all that pollution in the air and water is deadly.

There seems to be more and more studies that say C02 lags increased temp.
"As we have explained in 2006, Vostok ice core records show that the carbon dioxide concentration averaged over a few centuries has been correlated with temperature at least for half a million of years. However, we know for sure that the temperature was the cause and the CO2 concentration was its consequence, not the other way around. It follows that the greenhouse effect hasn't been important in the last half a million of years."

Luboš Motl - Assistant Professor of Science, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
And what percent of the atmosphere's greenhouse gas is C02? And then what percent of that is man made?

Three sides to every story.

Philip
Old 05-30-2007, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

OH Lubos Motl, the string theorist at harvard?

Motl keeps a blog mainly about string theory but also discussing general science, politics and events at Harvard. In science, besides talking about string theory, he frequently criticizes what he thinks is alarmism about global warming. In politics, he was one of few Harvard faculty willing to openly defend president Lawrence Summers's controversial remarks regarding women in science.

granted this is from Wikipedia....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubos_Motl

the quote, philip, is his opinion. in fact overwhelming evidence proves the opposite, that it is almost perfectly correlated. that temp lags greenhouse gas. on top of that more and more evidence continue to confirm that temp lags CO2....

as far as percentage that is man made. somewhere right now around 7-9% if i remember correctly
Old 05-30-2007, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

7 to 9 % of the C02 or of all the green house gas?

Here is the link I forgot. Another point of view from scientist.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2332531355859226455

There seems to be more and more scientist coming forward and not agreeing with the current belief.

Three sides.

Philip

Last edited by pmc847; 05-30-2007 at 12:39 PM..
Old 05-30-2007, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=13 here another point of view.

Here is a debate on the subject. http://youtube.com/watch?v=F6t2D74UcrY

Three sides.... and time will tell. But lets not sit on our butts and wait. We need to be good stewards of our environment.

Philip
Old 05-30-2007, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Öhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 05-30-2007, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

i liken this arguement to the debate over creationism vs evolution... so creationism makes no sense so how bout we make up a new theory,....How bout intelligent design... like you keep saying, and i'll agree, three sides. there are three sides to every debate. was there a holocaust? was 9/11 perpetrated by our own leaders? the list goes on and on...

PHIL heck yah! no sitting on butts and waiting. we need to be good stewards indeed. i see we agree on the main and most important point.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

I knew there was something good about global warming. And don't forget Canadians don't need to burn as much energy to stay warm.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

we have to get those pirates under control if we want to hand our planet over to the younguns.

brings the point both ways dont it. even if it becomes established that CO2 leads temp its easy to just throw a graph together and establish the opposite. too bad for those manipulaters that that is not the only evidence...
Old 05-30-2007, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

I don't think that graph is very accurate Roger. It most certainly does not take into account the ever increasing number of gay pirates, which has increased exponentially in the last decade..
2009 F800GS. has a better saddle. and other stuff. (sold)
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by roger albert
LOL!!!! Outstanding, simply outstanding.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Not to start another argument but here is another point of view.

About Those "Skyrocketing" Gas Prices
By Larry Elder
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Send an email to Larry Elder

What to do about -- choose the adjective -- "spiraling," "skyrocketing," "out-of-control" gas prices?

Well, we could try a little perspective. In 1981, Americans spent 5 percent of their household budget on gas and oil. Last year, despite "skyrocketing" gas prices, Americans spent 3.8 percent.

A national morning show interviewer practically high-fived the governor of Florida for urging an investigation into "gouging." Meanwhile, over at one of the cable news networks, the "newsman" beat his desk, his chest and anything he could find to express his concern, outrage and downright indignation.

The California speaker of the State Assembly said that while he lacked evidence that oil companies engage in cheating, he still felt they did. Why? His gut told him so. In fact, over the last 20 years, 30 federal investigations seeking evidence of price manipulation or collusion came up with, uh, well, a dry hole.

But the conspiracy theorists press on. Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., asked the Government Accountability Office to conduct an investigation. A year ago, he asked the Federal Trade Commission to investigate. By then, the FTC had already conducted two investigations, uncovering no evidence of unfair business practices. But, who knows? Maybe the oil company CEOs pulled a Sandy Berger, and stuffed damning evidence in their pants. So, by all means, let's look harder. Time for a strip search!

The mainscream media reports on the "outrageous," "unacceptable," "unjustifiable" "record profits." Never mind that following price peaks in 1981, low crude and gas prices during the '80s and '90s bankrupted some oil companies. But that was then. Today, Exxon Mobil, Chevron and ConocoPhillips earn tens of billions of dollars annually in profits that "defy common sense."

Why bother reporting that, with Big Oil profits at eight to 10 cents on the dollar, other companies and industry sectors earn more -- including, for example, Internet giant Google and the banking industry. In California, the state "earns" about 40 cents per gallon, with the feds' cut coming in at almost 19 cents.

What about gas prices as a percentage of our income? In other words, does the gas bite of our paycheck rival the bite of yesteryear? Not even close. Given today's fatter paycheck, we pay less as a percentage of our mean disposable income. A gallon was 27 cents in 1949 -- but to put the same pinch on your wallet today, you'd pay $6.68. Gas for 1962's "muscle cars" cost 31 cents a gallon. To feel the same economic impact today, you'd pony up $4.48 a gallon.

Conspiracy theorists point to the "failure" of the oil companies to build new refineries. But environmental restrictions make the construction of new refineries an expensive and risky proposition, and few communities want them anywhere near their ZIP codes.

A recent editorial in a liberal newspaper brought some sad news. It pinned the high prices on the mysterious notion of supply and demand. It noted that despite the teeth-gnashing, Americans -- over the Memorial Day weekend -- intended to keep driving. And even with the availability of more fuel-efficient cars, Americans still love those old "gas-guzzling" SUVs, what with their roominess, high-tech features and all. Somebody, please, stop the insanity!

What about the prices paid by consumers in other countries? While the average driver in the U.S. paid $2.68 per gallon in mid-April, our Northern brethren in Canada paid $3.56. Meanwhile, a gallon in Japan cost $4.16, the Spaniards paid $5.14, the French forked over $6.50, a trip down the autobahn cost German drivers $6.72 a gallon, and our friends in the United Kingdom kept a stiff upper lip while shelling out $8.37.

Some lawmakers talk of "breaking up" the oil companies, or imposing a windfall profits tax. Been there, done that. The taxes simply suck up money otherwise spent on research, exploration and production. And you want to put government in charge of determining the appropriate size and operating efficiency of oil companies?

So let's sum up. Politicians and the mainscream media ignore supply and demand; overlook the impact of federal, state and local taxes on the price of a gallon of gas; disregard the effect of consumers' driving habits; refuse to point out the ineffectiveness of "windfall profits taxes"; and blame Big Oil for refusing to build refineries while ignoring environmental restrictions that make it unprofitable to do so.

But at least they care.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

what are they trying to divert our attention away from????

Old 05-31-2007, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: