Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Final drive oil leak?

During a zesty ride yesterday I noticed black gear lube thrown on the rear wheel. It's leaking from the bottom leading edge of the black accordian boot at the final drive. Any speculated cause from members would be welcome.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

It could be the output shaft from the transmisson or the input shaft going into the diff. Cut zip-tie and slide boot back and look up into the parlever housing and see if it looks dry or wet.

Regards,
Lane
Old 05-21-2007, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Internal inspection after peeling back the boot did not show oil from the tranny, so it appears the final drive seal has a minor leak. When the boot was opened approx. one ounce of gear lube dribbled out. When the filler plug was removed to check the oil level, it burst out as if under pressure although it was stone cold. Could it have been overfilled thus creating pressure when hot and forced oil past the seal?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
How much came out when the filler plug was removed?
Jim
Old 05-24-2007, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Mine did the same thing. I drained it and made sure I kept the level slightly below the first thread. No problems since. (fingers crossed)

Quote:
Originally posted by mfrane
Internal inspection after peeling back the boot did not show oil from the tranny, so it appears the final drive seal has a minor leak. When the boot was opened approx. one ounce of gear lube dribbled out. When the filler plug was removed to check the oil level, it burst out as if under pressure although it was stone cold. Could it have been overfilled thus creating pressure when hot and forced oil past the seal?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I drained it into a pan so didn't measure it, but it was a substantial amount as it appeared to be over filled when I removed the filler cap to check the level. I havn't been able to locate a 16" zip tie so I'll connect two shorter and ride it to see what happens now. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Whenever I fill either the tranny or final I use one of those plastic 5 buck bottle pumps available at auto zone and the like. Not only is it a lot quicker and doesn't make a mess, bit it provides control and takes the guess work out of fluid filling. Using the bottle's measuring gauge, at .25 l / .26 qts, the final's dead on.

cheers,
Old 05-24-2007, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

After inspection, no oil was visible from the transmission seal. After cleaning, re-filling and replacing the zip tie on the boot, no leaks after the long weekend ride :-)
Old 05-29-2007, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I love happy endings.
Jim
Old 05-30-2007, 03:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If you know who did the last service on the final drive, I'd have a talk with them. I think it was over serviced which is not a good maintenance practice. The specs are there for a reason and not a convenience. You don't have to be anal about them but you should be at least close.

Last edited by Guest24; 05-31-2007 at 07:21 PM..
Old 05-31-2007, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: