Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Yeah I almost don't have to go to Plymouth, The Suz Drz has won the Pelican Board wisest choice award, speaking in terms of miles of smiles. I should sell my BMW now before it gets 300 miles on it?

It is surprising to hear about high maintenance 4 strokes, but some maintenance is fun, right?

Old 05-24-2007, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

From your discription of what type of riding you'll be doing, experience level, and mechanical attributes, I'd suggest an 07 KLR (I can hear the "Damn, who let this low rent guy on the list!" oozing from my computer) Some are selling for $4,300 new, throw $1,000 at suspension, pegs, crash bars, etc, and you'd have a great bike to learn on. With the right gearing they can get you anywhere you really need to be, easiest bike I've ever owned to work on, and has been dead reliable to this point. Face it, you will lay it down several times while learning the ropes of off roading. Would you rather look at a $4000 beater or a $8000 beater?
08 thruxton 900
82 ascot 500
Old 05-24-2007, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

The KLR is a great adventure/exploration bike for gnarly pavement, gravel, forest service roads, and fire roads, but it is simply a lousy dirt/single-track bike, even if you throw $1K of mods at it.

- Mark
Old 05-24-2007, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by markjenn
The KLR is a great adventure/exploration bike for gnarly pavement, gravel, forest service roads, and fire roads, but it is simply a lousy dirt/single-track bike, even if you throw $1K of mods at it.

- Mark
I agree with that. I threw my KLR 350 into a berm once and it just fell over. Too top heavy. I actually don't like any bike in the dirt weighing more than about 250 lbs, but I suppose one "could" work if the weight was very low. Even the R11S works on a fire road or gravel - the main limitation is the tires.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by markjenn

- Mark
That's true. I've learned the limitations of my klr the scarry way! Looked to me that he was more interested in fire roads/jeep roads/ some single track but no "goat trails." Here in Oregon I've run across lots of guys on big KTM's, Husky's, that bought them thinking they would get back into serious trail riding, only to find out that their bodies don't work the same way they did when they were in their twenties,(I can relate) and that these new bikes are way more powerful and heavy than the 250's of their youth. Buy a used cheap klr, ride it for the summer, it's good enough to show you what kind of riding you're really interested in doing, then if you really want the serious off road bike, use the klr as a trade in. Or use the adage "you only live once" and buy whatever calls to you.
08 thruxton 900
82 ascot 500
Old 05-25-2007, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

some great options out there for sure..looking at the zuki...whould it make much sense to get the streat variant and set it up for dirt?

remember, it needs to be plated.

still very unsure about considering the new F650X for the previously stated concerns.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 05-25-2007, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BMW Atlanta Send a message via Yahoo to BMW Atlanta
We're going racing with a G650XChallenge next weekend in a 24 hour enduro. We are the only 650cc bike in the line up against alot of big displacement 2 strokes and 400 or 450cc KTM's. We have a very good rider entering it in the IronMan contest, so it's as much about the bike holding up as it is the rider. Will be a good test of the reliability and the effort required to run the bike the full 24hours and see how the results stack up. Willing to bet lap times will not be that far off on the G650XCh. I have ridden it in single track for maybe half a mile here in GA and put on several miles down in FL on another one. It's suprisingly light in feel and was very similar in handling to my 295lb KTM 620 LC4, but smoother power delivery.

Most folks who doubt the G650XCh haven't ridden it or like myself need all the help they can get with lighter racebred bikes which is a compromise in the dual sport/highway department.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

bobby, can you do anything to the front end, different internals, etc. or are you guys running is basically stock? thanks in advance. good luck and cant wait to hear a report.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 05-25-2007, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

for anyone interested in reading:
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=688&Itemid=126

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 05-25-2007, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

No "E" button here!

Baja XR650r
2002 Honda XR650R-Baja winner
1998 Yamaha Warrior sport quad
Old 05-25-2007, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Barback King

Thumbs up ADVRider Bikes

Here's another XR just up for sale...Baja Bike

and another in TX...2001 XR650R dual sport, plated in TX

Here's a good starter DR in TX... DR350

Oh! a DRZ400s in VA!...
DRZ400s

Here's a clean KTM...00 KTM 640 LC4 in So Cal. MINT

Husky in VT 2000 Husqvarna Te610e in VT

...and here's an X-Challenge out your way... 1700 miles. lowered to $8K!FS BMW XChallenge

Here's an interesting blip about a normal guy with his X-Challenge...
BMW X-Challenge 650 Miles \ Part Two

and another...BMW X-Challenge, 500 mlies in the Pines.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BMW Atlanta Send a message via Yahoo to BMW Atlanta
The stock forks on the G650XChallenge are Marzocchi Shivers basically and its a pretty darn good OEM fork. So basically other then a few clicks here and there, it's all stock as well as the rear shock, the engine, gearing etc.

We will install a foam air filter, a full Remus exhaust and let her rip. We are in the middle of choosing and right tires and installing rim locks. Other then that a few protection farkles and she'll be purring for 24 hours come next weekend. We already have around 500 miles on it, so it's well broken in and ready for some abuse.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by repoe3
some great options out there for sure..looking at the zuki...whould it make much sense to get the streat variant and set it up for dirt?
A lot of guys are doing this. They get the SM and then for about $1K (without tires), you can build up or buy a set of S wheels. With the SM, you get a better fork than the S. This nets you a pretty cool trail bike AND a great SM bike.

But don't do this if you want to dirt ride and aren't willing to run a 2nd set of wheels. The 17" front end of the SM just doesn't work in the dirt and you can't get a decent set of knobbies (or even good dual-sporting tires like TCK80's) in a 17" front size.

The DRZ has been around for so long, the range of mods are incredible. The DRZ forum on thumpertalk.com is the place to be for DRZ owners. Just doing the "3x3 mod" (airbox and jetting but leaving the quiet stock pipe) put mine at about 36 RWHP which is only down a single hp from what CW tested the 450 EXC at. Don't get me wrong, the DRZ is no KTM as it doesn't have the suspension and it weighs 30 extra lbs, but it will do absolutely anything the KTM will do, just slightly slower.

- Mark
Old 05-25-2007, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
There's a lot of variety in the dual sport mix, you're going to have to decide where your priorities lie or you'll be owning half a dozen different ones (I need one more). I'm pretty fond of a DRz400 for its ability as long as I don't leave the county.
Jim
Old 05-27-2007, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by on2wheels52
as I don't leave the county.
Jim
why might that be, if you dont mind me asking? distance to travel or some other reason?

you guys are great. definitely having me consider a few bikes i wasnt thinking about in the beginning. if anyone gets input like this and still makes a bad decision, well, they dont have anyone to blame, but themselves

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 05-27-2007, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I didn't mean I wouldn't take it out of the country, though I don't see any Baja trip in the future. County, as in radius of the ride.
The stock DRz seat is pretty skinny and firm, no doubt there are Corbin or other alternatives. I once had a one-way 100 mile ride back home after five hours of off road in the National Forest. 65mph was its cruising zone. It's better at being a dirt bike than being a road bike.
But for my ten minute commute to work? A 35hp mountain bike compared to my other rides.
Jim
Old 05-28-2007, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Wswartzwel,

Spring is good except for the bugs.Sold the S to but a cottage up north, I have over 2000km of trail.I still zip around on my wifes R1150gs but spend most time on the Husky.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

boy, look at this thing...a 690 baja racer...

http://www.ktm.com.au/news.php?newsid=939

there is also a slew of other 690 powered machines coming.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 05-30-2007, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

stop now while you still can.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
The tank is too small, and it dosent look like it has saddlebag mounts.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: