Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Do not take too seriously

Garage
R11S BCR/prep steering damper

Well, like so many, the steering damper on my prep went belly up. It went so bad during my Spain trip (see report in another thread) that often it was impossible to ride in a straight line at 35mph (city limit). At times I needed 2ft of road just to go straight. Today I ripped it off, but as I felt it is useful in certain conditions with the geometry of this bike I replaced it with this:

A HyperPro RSC progressive steering damper, 22 clicks adjustable, in gunmetal grey to match my bike.

Mounting is very straight forward, and with normal movements you don't even feel its there. When the weather clears up a bit this week, I will give it a thorough testride.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 05-29-2007, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to asphaltaddict33
Where did you purchase it?

2001 Ducati 748S Yellow - Track/future racing bike
Old 05-29-2007, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Straight from the factory (we're a dealer)

Old 05-29-2007, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Let us know what it takes to mount also, yours looks OEM factory provided. I'm also in the need , group buy anyone else?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dbltailexit
I'm also in the need , group buy anyone else?
Yes...interested. Mine leaks just a tiny bit but still works. But throttlemeister has to wash his front fender first.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
i might be interested, even though mine is low mileage, there seems to be some cavitation, as if half the oil is missing.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Also interested,

Hook me up......like a tow truck...
Old 05-29-2007, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm interested in some more details too. Looks like a good match to the stock mounting hardware.

'98 R1100S - Triple Clamps, 10mm Shortened Telelever
2007 Ducati S2R1000, 2008 KTM 990SDR
Old 05-29-2007, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Does anyone else think the damper is unecessary? I mean, I've had one or two headshake incidents, but nothing major.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
It uses the stock mounting brackets combined with the HyperPro mounting kit for the R1100R. You use the OEM foam spacers (they have metal spacer insert). I used 2 stacked on the bracket side and an additional washer on the eye side to clear the fairing. The R obviously does not need this, as it has no fairing.

EDIT: Since my prep is quite a bit more on its head than a standard S, to me it falls in the catagory "better safe than sorry".

Last edited by throttlemeister; 05-30-2007 at 01:16 AM..
Old 05-30-2007, 12:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Oh, as far is groupbuy: I am not interested in shipping a dozen or more steeringdampers across the ocean (I am not local to most of you guys), and sideswiping US dealers in the process. However, maybe Klaus is interested starting his new business relation with a big sale.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

How did you get to the nut above the fender? Did you take the fender and wheel off?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
No, if you turn the wheel to the right stop, it clears the telelever arm and you can access the bolt from down the fairing.

Update on the mounting: I had to reverse the clamp (gold anodized piece) compared to the R mounting due to the S fairing. With the clamp reversed, the damper always stays well inside and clear of the fairing and operation is smooth as can be. It still uses full travel of the damper, so it works as it should mounted like this.

From a first short test ride: you don't notice it being there at all and steering inputs are much more direct compared to the old BMW damper mounted. First hard left/right combo, I ended up short for the second turn. I tried to induce some unwanted movement on some bad roads I know, but I couldn't really tell if the damper is smoothing things out or if it was just not happening. Nonetheless, I am very happy with it.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Put it on last night. All your tips made it as easy as it should have been. I'd still be there without them.
Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Huh?

I'm interested, and I can pick it up locally- I'll be in Nederland off n' on from 13 July to 31 July.
Vans RV-7 flying as of June 24, 2012; Too many bicycles to list.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Double check and make sure there's a boss on the Tele-lever front end to attach the damper to if you don't already have one.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by jduke
Double check and make sure there's a boss on the Tele-lever front end to attach the damper to if you don't already have one.
Got it. I had a stock one (still have the brackets), it went south in the same manner as throttlemeister's. Highly unpleasant as it made its presence known during a twisty mountain descent in NorCal.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
jduke, you're welcome.

Lars: www.hyperprousa.com lists them as $339.95 including mounting kit. Kneedraggers.com & motosport.com lists them for $299.95. I'd have to charge you close to that in euros. At the current exchange rates, that is not exactly a good deal for you.

But you're more than welcome to have a look and a beer if you're in the neighborhood.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by throttlemeister
jduke, you're welcome.

Lars: www.hyperprousa.com lists them as $339.95 including mounting kit. Kneedraggers.com & motosport.com lists them for $299.95. I'd have to charge you close to that in euros. At the current exchange rates, that is not exactly a good deal for you.

But you're more than welcome to have a look and a beer if you're in the neighborhood.
OK then, I suppose I should give my local (relatively) vendors the business.

I'd be happy to take you up on the beer though. I'll have a car so I can get around pretty easily.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

which model/parts # did you go with? is the RSC version worth the extra coin over the CSC?

2009 F800GS. has a better saddle. and other stuff. (sold)
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: