Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

800-831-1117 BMW Motordad feedback

So I expressed my distress that my two year old bike was only worth 55% of what I paid for since BM dumped 2004 R1100s's on the market in '06. The Rep listened and said he documented my concerns and would address them to marketing.

I didn't turn away from their products and now have a dependable single cylinder, I think.

Have any of y'ouse guys complained?

Might get a mandate going!

Or we might get sent to the Group W bench with the father-rapers.

Now when you go off a mountain road at 100 miles an hour strumming your guitar what do you think of?

AHHHHH I don't wanta Pickle...

II just want to ride a motorcickle.

HAVe a Blessed Day.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
time wasting tosser

dont tell me that in '04 when you were shopping for bikes, you didn't know the R11S was at the end of its cycle. it came out in 98/99.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What? There is no sticker on the bike that says "Warning: This bike may depreciate"?

Lawyer up. Class action time!!!

- Mark
Old 05-30-2007, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
No wonder they don't take us seriously.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Guess what the last guy to buy a Yugo is going through.....
Old 05-30-2007, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jduke
Guess what the last guy to buy a Yugo is going through.....
... his third Geo Metro?
2009 F800GS. has a better saddle. and other stuff. (sold)
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I tried the Concourse first.

Yes cI know that there are no guarantees, not even Social Security.

The thing is I could afford 8,ooo, not 14 or 12,500 which is what it was down to after the incentives.

If I was struggling to pay $246/month I knew when the real maintenance and repairs started I'd reallybe hard put to keep the S going.

So you don't think I should voice my disapointment.

The Arlo stuff was just to show my Moto'theology I didn't include that in the call to BMW.

Can't anybody understand me?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I understand you are dissapointed - just not sure why it would be directed at BMW? Perhaps if you bought a used bike and took advantage of someone elses depreciation, yours wouldn't hurt quite as bad now. I have to think that anyone involved in a hobby such as this, or boating, etc., understand how much vehicles such as this depreciate the moment they leave the showroom floor. Things such as these are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You spent what you did on the bike at the time cause you felt it was worth the price. Therefore you in fact help to set the market. Your bike now is only worth what others perceive it to be worth, that is not the Manufacturers fault.

Perhaps your next bike purchase you may consider buying used, as you have seen you can get quite a bargain. In fact you may call BMW and thank them for making such wonderful bikes that you can buy one used that was well maintained, and they are just as good as when they left the dealership. You would say "thank you sooo much BMW you are the best"

I bet that's what the guy who bought your bike did, he was probably the next call the Motorrad Hotline person took.
MOTO GUZZI LeMans Nero Corsa '04 - SOLD :-(
Old 05-30-2007, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I guess BMW has this hotline so that people can call in with whatever. So no harm, although it reminds me of someone who calls 911 when they wake up one morning and their car battery is dead.

- Mark
Old 05-30-2007, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Biggest Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to gigantic Send a message via Yahoo to gigantic
I bought mine used, for $4500. I guess that i should be disappointed that after dumping almost that much in upgrades & maintenance, that it's still worth about $4500, but I'm not. that's just the way of it and exactly why I don't buy new.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Derby
I understand you are dissapointed -
BIG SNIP
I bet that's what the guy who bought your bike did, he was probably the next call the Motorrad Hotline person took.
Well put Michael. +1
Old 05-31-2007, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

No need to polarize this and take sides.

I definitely agree the fellow who picks up the bike at 8k still under warrantee will probably enjoy I included all paperwork tools added bags and bag mounts. But no I didn't realize the 1200s was about to replace the 1100s, they had just got the twin spark into it so it ran well without the power commander and K&N.

I lusted after Boxer cup bikes used earlier but wasn't awre of .9 financing until Feb 2005, and I fully thought I was buying an 05, yes now I know more.

I wasn't looking for a guarantee, just giving them some feedback so they might in the future be able to say highest resale value.

You see I'm not bitter just smarter and my financial pain well, I hope thats temporary.

Gigantic you ready to sell your trackworthy S?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Uh....who me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Seventies Man
Please believe me when I say I am not taking sides...certainly not polarized against you. I don't like to waste my money either. I just thought Michaels words were pretty spot on when it comes to this subject.
FWIW, I bought my '04 Prep used and got a good deal...I think, but I haven't compared with anyone to confirm. If I can't stand the answer...won't ask the question. And I looked for a good used R12S....nearly had one for $5k less than what I paid for a new one, but the seller went cold. So, I have no misconceptions about the R12S or the business of buying and selling them. It is what it is, and I got a pretty good deal from a dealer who is in business to make his house payment, not mine. We all make business decisions and must live with them without whining or blaming others. I guess your thread has been viewed in the context of our America today....it's not my fault....they should have told me....I think I'll squawk about it and maybe someone will agree with me so that I can feel better....or worse yet....the ultimate threat, I'll get a lawyer and sue! Live and Learn. I just wonder when my livin' is gonna result in some learnin'.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

i look at buying a bike based on "what does it do for me?" and "how does this price compare to other similar bikes available now?" I don't look at it "what can i get if i decide to sell it in a coupla years?" that's Harley think. i buy it because it does what i want, at a price i can live with, better than any other option currently available. and then ride it till it's dead. that's BMW think.
i paid what was a fair price at the time (not great, but fair), but the bike was what i wanted, period.
sorry dude, no sympathy from this quarter either.
2009 F800GS. has a better saddle. and other stuff. (sold)
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
I bet I'm in the same boat with my new (1 year old) R1200S that I was with my R1100s. Paid around $16,500 each. Now I probably couldn't sell the R1200S for $11K. But I knew that walking into the deal.

But thats a fact based on it being an acquired taste, a niche bike, low sales volumes, etc. At least the new ones. It takes nerves of steel and great intestinal fortitude to lay out the cash for a new BMW anything! Or, just an I don't care attitude (which is what I have). There seems to be a completely seperate and distinct pre-owned layer of ready and willing buyers for any BMW (car or bike) once it has depreciated to the point that makes it more competitive for those dollars that might have been spent on a new Honda, Kawasaki, or other.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
buy a motorhome!
the first thirty feet out of the dealer's driveway: about $30k.
the next mile: about another $30k.

the sweet spot for the "good" diesel pusher motorhomes: 2 to 3 years old. a few years ago, i picked up one for $280k, a not-quite 3 year old, which was $440k+ when new. had about 60,000 miles on the odo when i adopted it.
threw it out on the circuit for a year (about 45,000 more miles) and unloaded it for $220k.

would have hated to be the guy who bought it when the plastic was still on the seats and the wrapper still on the toilet. plus i didn't have to go through all that first-year fine-tuning that motorhomes require before they're "right".

Old 05-31-2007, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Cyclone Jack

Garage
Quote:

I definitely agree the fellow who picks up the bike at 8k still under warrantee will probably enjoy I included all paperwork tools added bags and bag mounts. But no I didn't realize the 1200s was about to replace the 1100s, they had just got the twin spark into it so it ran well without the power commander and K&N.

I lusted after Boxer cup bikes used earlier but wasn't awre of .9 financing until Feb 2005, and I fully thought I was buying an 05, yes now I know more.

I wasn't looking for a guarantee, just giving them some feedback so they might in the future be able to say highest resale value.

You see I'm not bitter just smarter and my financial pain well, I hope thats temporary.

I get it, I bought a used 04 and 6 months later BMW finds 40 something brand new machines and dumped them for 10K or less. It definately shook the S market which is small to begin with. I don't begrudge the guys who got the great deals and I understand that BMWNA had to get rid of them, but it still hurts that I replaced the wheel bearings on my S with just over 11K on the clock, where as the new ones have the full 3 year/36K warrenty.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Thanks Bob /Hawkeye John

I did think I would keep it longer, like forever but my situation seemed to change

I'm not whining but why not take the oppurtunity to speak to the company that makes and markets them?

Call right now! And ask for a fully sponsored race team,too.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Biggest Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to gigantic Send a message via Yahoo to gigantic
Quote:

I'm keeping it for a while longer as my back-up/rain-bike/coaching mule. my GSXR eats up tires too fast to use while coaching at the track, so I'll run pilot powers on it and take it out to work with the novice and intermediate riders when I'm coaching. She's also great handling in the rain- right now, it's shod with a set of Dunlop Race Rains. I'll haul it to Summit point this monday in fact- they're calling for a 40% chance of t-storms...
Lance
Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Yeah, I thought it too was 'unusual' that they had found these *new* old bikes. It's not like the Brand Spankin New 240Z I saw on the showroom floor of Universal City Nissan last summer.

IIRC, sticker price was around $30k.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: