Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lock

I just noticed that when I insert my key and try to switch it to the steering lock position the key will not come out, it's locked just can't get the key out. Also I can't get the parking light to come on at it's setting. Other positions are OK. Any thoughts?

Old 06-01-2007, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sounds like you're not turning it far enough.

I assume that you've used the steering lock before, but for everyone's benefit, I'll reiterate that you need to go a full 1/4 turn left of "off" to engage the steering lock. Past that for the parking light.

Which direction are you turning the handlebars? Have you tried in both directions? Keep in mind that the hole isn't quite at "full steering", it's just shy of it, so try wiggling the handlebars when you're trying to engage the lock to make sure you have the post lined up with the hole.

To check for debris/clogging, turn the bars full right, check the left side of the frame by the steering head, the hole should be clear. Turn full left, check right side.

Anyone try breaking your steering lock to steal your bike recently? Any other front-end work done lately? New Motoyoyo triple-tree clamps?

If the parking light won't come on, make sure it comes on with the headlight (quick and easy bulb check).

But, since it sounds like you're not engaging the fork lock, which you have to do to get the parking light on, you should get that issue cleared up first.

Former bikes: '93 R100R, '93 K1100LT, '02 R1150RT, '03 K1200GT, '97 F650ST
Old 06-01-2007, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That friggin' parking light!!!

It's so easy to turn the key past the steering lock to the parking light, especially with gloves on. I once had another BMW rider (F650) park next to me and he noticed my lights were on. He was nice enough to go into the restaurant that I was in and let me know.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You were right squall-line, debris, my tankbag strap slid up and it being black couldn't see it covering the hole! A couple of days ago I sprayed some WD-40 in the key hole for maintenence and thought that's what I get for lubing everything up!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well, it doesn't happen very often (me helping out, that is... I'm often right. ), but it certainly feels good to know that something up in my head was of use to someone else!

Also, as far as lubing the lock cylinder, I prefer white litium grease over WD-40. WD gets the water and gunk out, but doesn't stick around long-term like lithium does.

Lithium in the locks when I take the bike out of storage in spring, and then again in the early fall once the leaves start to change, has always kept mine working like a charm!

Former bikes: '93 R100R, '93 K1100LT, '02 R1150RT, '03 K1200GT, '97 F650ST

Last edited by squall_line; 06-01-2007 at 01:05 PM..
Old 06-01-2007, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My locksmith buddy says generous applications of wd-40 is good for his business.
Jim
Old 06-01-2007, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Kraut Burner

I found the best thing for locks of any kind is using graphite.
WD 40 is for Water Displacing.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: