Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

BTW, I have seen Bob's R1200R up close and personal and if there is a clear coat on that bike I will eat my hat.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

I do suspect some of this is due, in part, to a move towards more 'environmentally friendly' paint...of which I'm a BIG sceptic.
I've been toying with using some of eastwood's water-based basecoat and primer, but I'm kinda gunshy of anything NOT requiring organic chlorinated solvents.
Even with the waterbased paint you have to clearcoat it with some catylized urethane clearcoat to get any gloss or durability, according to Eastwood.
I looked at some of the 07 beemers at the local shop and I WAS less than impressed with the OEM finish....it was rather schisa
Can't blame JUST BMW, tho, they're in the middle of nature-nazi central (old europe, where being 'green' is politically correct whether or not it really works) so I'm sure every greenie within 1000 kliks of the factory screams bloody murder when anything stronger than anemic cow's milk si used for any industrial purpose.

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage
...no problems so far over here...
...the black stripes are still the black stripes...
...and my red still shines as if it was new...

...but the paint is weak ; that's for sure...

...yesterday (Sunday)

1 black one (Rob's 'black SP')
1 matt silver one
2 candy one's
1 red 1100 S

...all in good shape ; and no (body work) paint problems so far...

R1200S + R1200RT

Last edited by RoLoo; 06-04-2007 at 01:54 PM..
Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I also have seen the paint on Bob's tank panel and would submit that this particular part missed the clear coat paint booth. The metal flake in the matte has both rubbed and oxidized. Matte finishes are by nature very susceptible to marring when rubbed by another object whether it's a leather jacket or a jean material. The correct action for the corporation is to recover the part and do a lab analysis on it. The fix they gave Bob which was to cover the rub area with clear plastic is bush league.
This is a new finish to my understanding and must be dealt with before a bad rep for BMW paint spreads. I had to go all the way to the top on a BMW 530i paint job that when south literally over night. The factory finally made it right. I can't remember but isn't there a limited warranty on the paint against defects?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Quote:
Originally posted by DanGreene
I sometimes wonder if these customer service numbers and the people on the payrole that take our calls are kind of like the thermostats in some modern office buildings. The temperature is really controlled by a central command and all the individual thermostats are not connected to anything. They are just there to make people feel like they have some control and input.

Maybe if all the public relations and customer service people were fired they would put the money saved in better quality paint jobs???
So Dan....you don't think my placebo call will amount to anything? But I feel so much better!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nail24
This is a new finish to my understanding and must be dealt with before a bad rep for BMW paint spreads. I had to go all the way to the top on a BMW 530i paint job that when south literally over night. The factory finally made it right. I can't remember but isn't there a limited warranty on the paint against defects?
Bubba, I'm less concerned with BMW's rep than I am the looks and resale value of my bike. I just hope I'm pleasantly surprised by what BMW is willing to do, but I doubt they will replace all panels with something better, which is what they'd have to do. The parts that aren't touched during normal use will wear with age and the uv business and then the panels won't match. And rather than b!tch about this for the rest of my time with this bike I'd rather just enjoy it for the fine bike it is. FWIW, BMW Atlanta says there is a limited warranty of one year on paint.
Trapped myself into another whine session about paint. Dang....maybe I'm an idiot after all.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

That's what I like about the Ducati FE panels. They're signed, numbered and dated by the painter. Not suggesting that you get an ulcer and not enjoy the bike. I'd simply file my grevience and let it ride from there. You have nothing to lose and all new painted trim to gain. Until then it's ride pilgram ride.

Those 5 bikes represent over an $85,000.00 ride investment. I'd expect a company response to that.

Last edited by Guest24; 06-04-2007 at 03:46 PM..
Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Matte finishes are by nature very susceptible to marring when rubbed by another object whether it's a leather jacket or a jean material.
Sorry but I can't agree with that. Matte clear is just regular clear with a gloss reducer added. I've kept a tankbag on my matte Futura for 5 years & ridden all over the country wearing a Stitch with my knees rubbing on the tank. As of yet there are zero scuffs or defects in the matte finish. In contrast Futura owners with the gloss finishes are constantly complaining about scuffs on their tanks. I bought the matte color because I wanted low maintenance & thats just what I got.

BMW cheaped out once again & as usual the owners are paying the price.
65, 66 Alfa Romeos
Old 06-04-2007, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

I'll buy the 'cheaped out' theory.
Looking at the paint on the new bikes at my local stealer, I can tell you I'm not impressed.
paint is usually well down on my list of gripes, since I tend to just go off and have an offending scoot painted the color I like, but for a brand new purchase, as spendy as theses are and BMWs having the cachet the faktory wants us to believe in, this is unacceptable.
fit and finish is important!
and water-based paint is......watercolor!

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bikpaintr
Matte clear is just regular clear with a gloss reducer added.
Was addressing the pigment coat not clear matte. I understand the clear coat matte finish purpose. Bobs bike appears to be missing the protective matte clear finish.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Quote:
Originally posted by JonyRR
I'll buy the 'cheaped out' theory....snip....
but for a brand new purchase, as spendy as theses are and BMWs having the cachet the faktory wants us to believe in, this is unacceptable.
fit and finish is important!
and water-based paint is......watercolor!
Can I get an amen? If they were gonna use watercolors at least they could get Ms. Thomlinson's third grade class to make it interesting!
Old 06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
And unfortunately, the red/silver is a $590 option. It should be primo paint.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

When I was having problems with my R12S, BMW customer service was useless. I hope you guys with the paint issues have better luck.

I have the red/silver and mine came with clearcoat on it. I've had no real issues with the paint but I did notice that a few areas where my body contacts the paint has dulled a bit.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

I think there is some confusion about this issue. The silver and red have a clear coat, but the black stripe was put on after the clear coat was applied. The new panels, and subsequently new bikes, have a clear coat over the black stripe, hence preventing it from cracking and peeling off.

'06 BMW R1200S Candy Colours, Akrapovic System
'06 Honda CBX250 Twister (Red Mule)
Old 06-05-2007, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Nope, don't work for BWM; just have been on their case for a while now. I also have a red and silver R12S and are getting ticked off because of inferior quality of paint used on our bikes!

ckarr, I am agreeing whole hearthedly with you. I have checked a new bike on the floor and their paintwork was correct. BMW must be made aware of the unacceptable paint quality and must sort it out, some or other way.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Actually, another OT tick-off for me is that when I bought my bike I expected that Ohlins would be selling shocks for it at some point, like all the other BMWs. Apparently this is not true, as had been rumored by S. Carlton. For whatever reason, BMW wants to keep sales in-house, which simply means I won't be buying them. Not for their ridiculously inflated prices. I'm not sure what they think they accomplish by doing that on the lowest selling bike minus the ones that came with Ohlins pre-installed...
Old 06-05-2007, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

I actually want to say the same thing about Akrapovic exhaust systems, and its "regulated" price...

Old 06-05-2007, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

BMW must be tking lessons in after market control from Mazda. You won't find very many AM parts for their products either.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Top of the Valley

Skoeter, The full system is available aftermarket for less than BM's slip-on.
see www.evoluzione.net
Old 06-05-2007, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Was addressing the pigment coat not clear matte. I understand the clear coat matte finish purpose. Bobs bike appears to be missing the protective matte clear finish.
Harley calls this a "Denim" finish and actually charges a $400 premium. And from first hand experience, it turns to crap after coming into contact with leather and weather. Again, Harley calls this the "natural aging process" and claims it adds "character" to the bike. Looks totally craptacular to me.

...more BMWs, Buells, Harleys and Hondas than you can shake a stick at!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: