Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
I haven't seen the "denim" but Harley has always had a reputation for excellent paint. My Harley paint on my 2000 is in great shape still.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Cyclone Jack

Garage
I was in a dealer the other day and rubbed my hand across the candy striped 12S and the black tape felt like electrical tape, I was surprised it was not clear coated or better yet sprayed on like the silver and red.

I am sorry to hear about the paint problems on some of the 12S's, I hope BMWNA comes through for y'all.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DanGreene
I sometimes wonder if these customer service numbers and the people on the payrole that take our calls are kind of like the thermostats in some modern office buildings. The temperature is really controlled by a central command and all the individual thermostats are not connected to anything. They are just there to make people feel like they have some control and input.

The word I was told, "pacify", they tell us what we want to hear, make us feel good, and make us forget about the jammin up the a#$ we are getting.

This day and age once they have your money (usually a good chunk) you become a victim to there mis engineering for whatever the case may be, and its hard to get them to give. These people/pacifiers we talk to have an answer for everything and are trained in dealing with problems.

I know the word "pacify" all to clear owning this new Ducati. The most recent one from Ducati customer service that kills me about my clutch, "this is to be expected". The dealer finaly fixed it but being told that a repair of a clutch not disengaging at a stop and squealing when taking off is "to be expected with a wet clutch"?

Its the only bike that ever did it out of 10+ bikes I owned, 8 with wet clutches. I'll put a mental note to never buy one of these again if thats what is to be expected. How many BMW riders after spending that kind of money may not buy another if the paint problems or other problems aren't resolved?

They want to give you this and that, you feel good, then it breaks again, repeat. I've not owned a BMW under warranty so I can't speak about them and there customer service but I have a good hunch they all operate the same.

Why is a vehicle treated any differnent than other things you buy and want to return for a refund, replacement, other choice, or some kind of satisfaction you will be happy with providing it is in good like new conditon, and not beat up? Especialy if there is one mechnical failure after another in a reasonable amount of time.

I would think BMW would make this right for you. They are panels but none the less important. I hope you get satisfaction. Keep on them about it. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
This day and age once they have your money (usually a good chunk) you become a victim to there mis engineering for whatever the case may be, and its hard to get them to give. These people/pacifiers we talk to have an answer for everything and are trained in dealing with problems.
Not to keep bringing up Harley but '07 Harley owners are running into the same situation with the infamous 5th gear "rocks in a can" transmission noise. Despite customer complaints since the models went on sale July 14th of last year, Harley refuses to officially acknowledge the problem and is telling customers that there's no engineering problem. There are literally thousands of posts up on hdforums.com from owners with the bad transmissions. My '07 FLTR had the issue and all my dealer could do was to "document" the problem. At least in my case, I have a happy ending - I was able to get off the Harley and onto the ST without too much of a screwing. As the problem becomes more well known outside of the HD community, owners may find resale and trade-in values of their '07s taking a hit.

...more BMWs, Buells, Harleys and Hondas than you can shake a stick at!

Last edited by Towjam; 06-06-2007 at 10:16 AM..
Old 06-06-2007, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Towjam
At least in my case, I have a happy ending - I was able to get off if the Harley and onto the ST without too much of a screwing. [/B]
I hope to say the same as I have my eye on the R1100S as soon as this Ducati is gone. I'm sticking with BMW's (or Honda's), I don't want to have to run with my tail between my legs again trying another brand. No more Suzuki's or Ducati's!! Expensive and emotional lesson.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Top of the Valley

What Duc?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Living on borrowed time!

it seems like the more sophisticated ANY of this gets, the less reliable they are and the more issues crop up.
At least the R1100S series has most of the issues well-documented and there's agood body of knowledge on how to deal with it.
I don't envy you boyz the R12series as it's both CANBUS and BMW-K. totally black-box and man, wait till something goes sideways.
the infamous last words:
'this won't hurt'
'it's for your own good'
O'h, BMW-K will NEVER need more than 12 prom flashes'
yeah, right.....suuuuuure...

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Thread Killer

I'm not losing any sleep over it.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

'o kourse not; your scoot is new, with a nice shiny warranty. I was thinkinbg of someone like ME, who NEVER buys new..

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...I'm with you, Jony... never buy new and/or first model issue AT ALL... let them work all the kinks out and then take a look, a few years down the road when you can get them things for less than half the price... that way, the knowledge base you mantioned is in place and the problems are well documented and/or resolved.

Some people seem top be glad to be front runners (and more power to them) but I have no intention to be the front runner/guinea pig on new technology outside of my business... it's bad enough there.

I buy my toys to have fun with them, not to support the dealer/manufacturer on an ongoing basis... all the while being miserable and have all these issues crop up that just make you mad on something you just got new and you just paid premium price for...

It's just weird to see things go down the drain even coming from manufacturers that had a reputation for quality... sad, but true!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-06-2007, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by MaineRoads
What Duc?
A 2006 Supersport 800SSie.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: