Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Dark Side of the Force...

Garage
cost me 2 beans.

'07 K1200S
'07 R1200S
Old 06-07-2007, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
Dan, the ones I posted includes all mounting hardware.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 06-07-2007, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Garage
even better!!

now you got me thinking ....
2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro long distance gravel road and general hooligan bike.
Now an R11GS and a 650 Dakar
Old 06-08-2007, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Well I'm here to tell you that I have one and it was NOT easy to get it to fit right. The sides are too splayed out by about 1.5" per side out. I had to cut through the glass till it almost fell apart and reglass it. They got a lot of pans from that mold, too many. It didn't come with mounting hardware either. The rear mounts were easy to get but after about five months or so the BMW front still hasn't come in . Fortunately I a friend loaned me his BCR front bracket and I had one made, perfect replica. I don't want to think how many hours it took me to get it ready for paint. Now the sides are nicely tucked in so my boots don't get hung up.
I shaved the front seam smooth too. If you can pick up a real BCR pan cheap? that would be the way to go unless you have skills and the time. It was cheap enough to get including shipping so I took a chance.
I would do it again because knowing the pitfalls I could get it done faster.I think by far it's the best looking pan available for the S. By the way 29.00 for the front bolt? Got it for a buck at the metric store! If you guys need any advice drop me a line.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Garage
did you get the $99 cheap one from ebay or the more expensive one that comes in carbon fiber?

how did you get the sides to tuck in more tightyl?
2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro long distance gravel road and general hooligan bike.
Now an R11GS and a 650 Dakar
Old 06-09-2007, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I got the cheap one fron Ebay in fiberglass. After taking accurate measurements from an actual BCR pan I had to cut through the sides with a grinder till only a shred of glass was holding the sides on. I then taped the sides in place and laid up some cloth with resin till it dried. Don't bother cutting the bottom at all, just the sides. I think the side to side measurement was 14 3/8" at the top edges. When I get a chance this weekend I'll take some additional pics if you want.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Dont taunt happy fun ball

Send a message via AIM to AndrewA
Quote:
Originally posted by John Diakonis
I got the cheap one fron Ebay in fiberglass. After taking accurate measurements from an actual BCR pan I had to cut through the sides with a grinder till only a shred of glass was holding the sides on. I then taped the sides in place and laid up some cloth with resin till it dried. Don't bother cutting the bottom at all, just the sides. I think the side to side measurement was 14 3/8" at the top edges. When I get a chance this weekend I'll take some additional pics if you want.

Hey John,

How about the paint prep work; was there much?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Andrew, After the glass work I primed with a high build primer and guide coated it to make sure there wern't any imperfections or sand marks. You'd be surprises what can show up. After that base coat and clear. After I was finished I sprayed the inside with flat black.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

BCR belly pan knock-off

Wow ... from John's comments it looks like what you pay for is what you get.

Maybe these flea-bay $99- pans are rejects from a supplier to a mainstream seller of aftermarket items? 1 1/2 " out each side is a big variation ...

fiery

'02 BMW X5 4.4i (Now gone ... sob!)

'02 BMW R1100S BCR ABS

'98 Range Rover (the Brontosaurus)
Old 06-12-2007, 11:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: