Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Just hit a deer, 700 miles from home. Any help?

Title says it all. I don't know what I've done to come about where I am at. My job has been slow, so I joined a group of friends to enjoy some riding in Arkansas. I just now reached Mountain Home, Arkansas and checked into a hotel. An hour ago I was following my friends down Hwy 101, taking it easy as several critters were making their way onto the pavement in the darker hours.

If you've been paying attention, I did hit a turkey a month ago. My replacement parts were short-lived. The deer didn't survive, but I have, so life isn't too bad. A few sore spots and a sprained thumb. Helmet, leather pants, jacket. All have some rash.

Worst part is the valve cover wore a hole through.

Is there anyone in the area that has a right side valve cover? I may attempt JB welding it to just get it home. Plan is to get the bike Triple-A delivered to the hotel. It's about 15 miles from the hotel.

My weekend, like my luck, is shot. I just want to cry. If anyone in the north central Ozark region might have a valve cover I could borrow/buy/steal, please post up. I could have the people I ride down with pick it up if it's near.

Still in a little bit of shock.
Chris

Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Wow, glad you are okay (for the most part). I'd JB weld it just to have a plan B - in case no one has a right side valve cover. Wow... it wore through! yikes!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
I'm glad you are okay!
Old 06-08-2007, 12:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Jeepers, glad you are allright. Hope you come right with repairs.

'06 BMW R1200S Candy Colours, Akrapovic System
'06 Honda CBX250 Twister (Red Mule)
Old 06-08-2007, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Garage
as the old bules song goes, "if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all"

Hope it works out OK .. try and get in touch with Bill he's in the area and he's good guy and may have some ideas
2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro long distance gravel road and general hooligan bike.
Now an R11GS and a 650 Dakar
Old 06-08-2007, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Chris, I'm right here. Shop is 425-7101, house is 425-7340. What motel are you at? Will take you to breakfast.
Jim
Old 06-08-2007, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Either you're riding the way you should be and there's going to a casualty or two or that bike is cursed!

Lucky for you that on2wheels52 is right there!

I would have suggested wswartzwel but he looked to be over 150 miles away.

Last edited by ckcarr; 06-08-2007 at 06:06 AM..
Old 06-08-2007, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Chris
Time for me to eat, I'll be a Hardees, my shop is across the street. Looks like rain most of the day but my kid'll have the truck.
Jim
Old 06-08-2007, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I don't have an extra cover, but you are welcome to borrow one of my valve covers to get yourself home, then UPS it back to me. 501-336-4635 You will be in good hands with on2wheels52.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
You could use some filler to get you out of trouble. I have used the two part stuff garages sell to repair petrol tanks. It will stop the oil leak if it is just a hole you need to fill. We have patched up Blackbird alternator covers with this stuff and it works really well.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Glad you're okay. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Regnat populus

Garage
WOW!

Greetings Sideshow, Chris

It is not what happened, it is how you resolve it.

I am sorry for your misfortune but don't let it haunt you and cause another episode. It could be worse.

If you don't get a cover...

Seal the cover with metal weld. If it is a bigger hole use a piece of aluminum widow screen to make the patch stronger. Use two or three layers of metal weld.

The valve cover has to be degreased and cleaned and the area has to be sanded for the metal weld to grip.

Let the next animal be "on your plate"!

BTW, the power of the PPBB! I am impressed with the great responses you received.

Now go have some fun!

Robert Foster

FOSTER RAD
LASER Engineering Exhaust Systems
RapidBike USA
Oakland Gardens, NY
Robert@FosterRAD.com
718-468-4680

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Glad your ok, to me its the thing that scares me because they are so skiddish. you'll be ok, take a deep breath and enjoy life. In the greater scheme of things the bike is nothing, it could have been worse. The pain will heal, you'll get your bike to where it belongs, life is good.
cya
jeff
95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 06-08-2007, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Top of the Valley

Wow, consider it good luck. You were on the better end of the deal. Hope all ends well for you.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...what the hell, Chris!? Are you on a war path with the animal kingdom... or are they with you?

That sucks and I royally feel for you... I'd hate canibalize that motor, but if all else fails, I will... However, JB Weld should do the trick... there is not a lot of oil pressure up there, so it should not blow out.

Anyway, to more important issues at hand... you are ok? No broken bones or questionable pain?.... everything else will fall into place again.

Ralf
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-08-2007, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies. You are great. I was shocked to see such a response in such a short time. I just got back from breakfast at the Cozy Kitchen with the 3 other riders I came with.

To be sure, I have a sprained left thumb. My right shoulder blade may be bruised or cracked, but I have enough motion to deal with it. Enough motion, in fact, to believe that it's merely bruised. I can deal with the pain as it is and it's a lesser level than a fractured collarbone which I'm all too familiar with. The smaller internal injuries that I can sense is a good bruise over my right love handle -- nicely contrasted this morning in reds and blues. Small touches of road rash over both knees and my right elbow from abrasions within the leathers, but nothing lacerated. As bad as this list sounds, I feel decent and overall, I definitely ended up on the better end of things.

Jim, Bill, Ralf and the Rest of the Pelican gang,
I cannot express how truly great it makes me feel that you have made such an offer. The fact that I have resources from such a remote connection shows so much hope for this world and really leaves me humbled. I'm at the Days Inn, but help is on the way. Kirnal (of the famed Kirner torque arms) is bringing a trailer. Brian was supposed to be on this trip, but his wrist has kept him at bay in Wisconsin. He can drive a car and his trailer and can't wait to help. Haven't seen the bike in daylight and it's still in a really nice man's driveway. It wasn't pretty at night so I'm expecting the worst. Ralf, thanks for the offer, but don't you dare be parting that engine!

Seriously, as a rider 700 miles from home, the willingness of the Pelican and BMWanon riding communities to help out has left me speechless. Thanks you ALL so much for the kind words. It brightens this wet and ugly morning here in Mt. Home. The other riders are looking on the screen as I type amazed at the kind-hearted responses. Bless you all.

ps.
I'll probably have carnage shots when I return home, but I'm depending on the photography skills of the guys I rode with for them.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Chris
Glad you're not to bad off, could have you over for pasta tonight if you see this soon enough. If you're buds are still riding here tomorrow I might be able to dig up an extra KLR or something if you're up for it.
Jim
Correction, kid eating at gf house tonight, steaks on the grill instead.

Last edited by on2wheels52; 06-08-2007 at 04:34 PM..
Old 06-08-2007, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I'd always rather be lucky than good.
Your not.
Get into cars , trucks etc.
Your not doing so well in this direction.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Sideshow has had a bit of rough luck as of late, but for the number of miles he puts on, and the roads he rides on, a wildlife strike (or two) is not unexpected. I'm just glad the damage has only been to the bike.

How are you doing Show? Is Brian still on the way down to pick the bike up?

Old 06-09-2007, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: