Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Spline: Good news, bad news.

My 99 started having hard shifts from 2nd to 1st after my last long trip, 30,000 miles on the odo, and I suspected the worst. They tore into it today and I went to check out the damage this afternoon. The tranny had been replaced under warranty by the P.O. at 6,000 miles. Splines were good but rusted, friction plate was barely worn, they suspect it was also replaced, slave cylinder was leaking. The shop that did the tranny work (Salem Ducati, BMW, Honda) used some type of red lube, I suspect the Honda Moly brand that has been discussed here, and it had turned to goop (what hadn't been slung off). My pivot bearings went out a year ago and when it was torn down the bearings were stuck in the housing bad, they also were lubed with a red grease that had broken down. The good news I guess is that I caught it early enough or was lucky enough to have no spline damage. Be careful what you use for lube is the moral of the story. The mighty S should be back together by the weekend, then its off to Utah, Colorado, Wyo, and Montana in 2 weeks!

08 thruxton 900
82 ascot 500
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Re: Spline: Good news, bad news.

Quote:
Originally posted by daveel
...some type of red lube, I suspect the Honda Moly brand that has been discussed here, and it had turned to goop (what hadn't been slung off)
Just a FYI daveel, Honda Moly 60 is not red, it's silver grey in color. And very thick, unlikely to sling off.
2004 BCR #36 (sold)
Old 06-08-2007, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

At one time the official BMW spline lube was red but they seem to change that recommendation every few years so its hard to keep track. From what I've seen none of these lubes seem to hold up long term on the tranny splines. I just did a spline lube on an Airhead that was previously done by a BMW dealer 30k ago. The splines were dry with light rust showing with no damage.
65, 66 Alfa Romeos
Old 06-08-2007, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Interesting post, thanks.

The traditional BMW goop is/was red.

So, 24,000 miles ago, your tranny was replaced. Some folks think the assembly line may have screwed-up the greasing now and then or consistenty for a brief period or who knows. But I think we can take for granted that the dealer greased the splines correctly. If true, then your bike was rusting, if not quite dry and wearing, at 24,000.

Seems early.

Does your bike get any more grease-harming treatment than anybody else. Say, salt air or rain or leaky seals or something?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The tech showed me the BMW lube that is going back on, about the color of Vasaline and very thick. I assumed the honda lube was red, tech said he thought it might have been some sort of marine lube. Seals were good and the bike is stored in a garage. I'm far enough from the coast that marine air isn't an issue although I've seen what it does to some bikes.

08 thruxton 900
82 ascot 500
Old 06-08-2007, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: