Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Considering an R1100S, need advice:

Hey all,

I'm in the market for a bike and had ruled-out the R1100S after I test-rode one last fall for 1/2 hour and it buzzed my right hand numb. I switched my sights to the RS or even RT, but the looks and coolness of the "S" is pulling me back.

I've owned older BMW boxers so I am familiar with the marque, can anyone tell me how to correct the bar buzz problem? I want to actually tour some on it, but it would mostly be a city bike. I researched the numb hands deal online and found out that I am not alone with this problem, something to do with the lack of isolation on the "S" bars only(?)

If I could get past this, I liked everything else about it, besides the worthless but cool-looking windshield. (Wind seemed to hit me right in the chest on freeway).

Damn, they're good-looking though...

If I can resolve these issues, I'll be soliciting nice bikes for sale here. TIA.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
I simply dont hold onto the handlebars very much. If you dont sit straight up and down lean forward a bit, maybe even a slouch to where you feel sorta like youre on a racebike it helps you not hold onto the bars as tight and keeps the wind from hitting you mid chest. Other than that maybe get some foam grips and a super tall windshield.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
A proper TBS and valve adjustment will reduce vibes as much as possible, but they remain more present than on any other BMW. But as ExarKunOne points out, if you don't grip the bars too tight it is virtually unnoticeable. First time I rode mine the vibes drove me nuts after just a few minutes. Forcing myself to release my grip on the bars it now never bothers me anymore.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 06-08-2007, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you were test riding, you probably had a death grip on the bars. I have a bad carpal tunnel in my right hand and I have found that maintaining a lighter grip helps a lot (just as ExarKunONe recommends). Also, the lean-forward position will aggravate it, so barback will help too. Based on your comment about the windshield, it sounds like you'd be better off with an RS or RT. I have always ridden naked bikes and I love the 'S' windshield. It gives me protection, but no buffetting, like I have experienced on an RT.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Garage
How old is the bike?

On my first ride on my new S I almost stopped on the side of the road and got off and walked home the vibes and tingling were so bad. A few runs up over 200kph and the bike settled in and the more miles the smoother it runs. Still not quite as smooth as an Rt but the RT is way underpowered compared to the S. First thing I bought was a throttle cruise control but now never use it even on very long rides.
2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro long distance gravel road and general hooligan bike.
Now an R11GS and a 650 Dakar
Old 06-08-2007, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I loved my s and gifted her with all of the usual jewelry, vanderline, ohlins, carbon fiber, and stuff, hoping she would love me back. Still, every ride left me with my right hand numbed to uselessness. Then, I discovered cork bicycle handlebar tape. In many colours, wrapped on top of the original grip, held in place with one inch of heat shrink wrap at the end and accessorized with a $20 wrist rest. Again young love. Fade to sunset.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Try to ride a different one.

If you still feel uncomfortable then don't buy it. The bike isn't for everyone. There have been plenty here on this board through the years who "had to have it..." then immediately started complaining and eventually sold it.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Try an "SA," one that has the clipons mounted above the triple clamp and the taller "comfort" windscreen. You'll put less weight on your wrists. Like stated above, the valve adjustment and throttle body balance has an effect on the smoothness. I was having trouble with the buzz of a Suzuki Bandit, but not with the BMW twin.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Thanks for the replies. Another question that I forgot in my original post is whether there are certain years to avoid or rather were there any design or engineering improvements along the model run that make newer ones more desirable? Any significant changes at all? Was the ABS improved ever?

My major sticking point on the bike is that it needs to be comfortable and extremely user-friendly because I consider it a *sport touring* bike as opposed to a true sport bike. There is a true sport bike in my future, and it will say "Ducati" on the side and not be expected to provide all-day comfort in the saddle. This bike would be a commuter/2-up/road trip machine that is really good-looking and cool. Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Thanks, Steve. I'll do that. So the "SA" model has different bar mounts?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have a '99 and I get the tingling in my hands after about an hour or so. I did what the others have said and not gripped to hard--seemed to work out. There's also something, I think, called "bob's wrist rests"? Haven't seen them personally, but I've read about them on the 'net from a few other posters. Might be something to look at. They seem like spongy "comfort" grips that fit over the existing grips.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Thread Killer

The clipons are slightly different on the SA and mount on top of the triple clamp, so they're a little higher. But the low ones can be moved above and vice versa.

'02 was a landmark year, but not by much. The ABS brakes changed to a servo-assist and were partially linked. The front lever would engage the rear brake and will self-balance. The rear brake does not engage the front. The transmission mounts were strengthened. The older ones could crack, but can be re-welded.

IMO, the '04-05s are the ones to get. The engine got dual plugs and seems to run slightly better. It also seems to be immune from pinging and surging. Most surging can be cured, though with careful tuning. The '04-05s also had an updated transmission, although not a big deal from what I gather. I don't think you pay much more for an '04. The '05s were all BoxerCup Replicas w/o ABS, and you may or may not like the paint scheme. The '04s came in all variants- BoxerCup Prep, SA, and BoxerCup Replika (a different paint scheme from the '05).

From what I've seen, it's the '99-01s that seem to be most prone to the dreaded transmission input shaft spline failures. Newer is better, as some $1,500 failures occur to the ABS unit.

It's hard to get much below $6,000, but $8,000 will get you an '04. Accessories play a role, but usually pennies on the dollar. I have a nice '02 for sale in the bay area if you're that way.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Barback King

...you should come up and take my SA for a ride. It's been erfgo'd and farkled a-lot.
I've been kicking around the idea of selling it due to lack of riding time.
I'm up in Acton.
PM or send me an e-mail.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
It's kind of interesting that it seems like just about every one of these bikes in existence is kind of for sale, is this a hint about something?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Barback King

...peeps have a hang for R12's and such methinks...not about the S at all... most Pelicaners here have had their bikes for about 7 years... thus the itch
...so the late comers get the spoils, lot's of good deals and farkles to be had.
this bike will be a long-term classic like the R90S and will hold it's value.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Thread Killer

I don't think there's any more of them for sale than normal. When someone expresses an interest in buying one, that will bring out those for sale. Mine's for sale because I bought the R1200S.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...its a GREAT bike, Speeder!

...it made me want to ride it more and more and now the Duc and the Sporty are almost ornamental in my garage!

It's the "can do it all" bike.. and not just "can do it all somewhat ok"... it's: "CAN DO IT ALL VERY WELL!"

I am very happy with the bike, yet, as always, if the right offer would come around I'd sell it and then look for another one... but that's just the way I am... and I am sure there are quite a few other who view things the same way...

Also, if you take ebay as a measure of standards, there NOT very many of the R11S for sale at ANY time...

I can only recommend the bike... the buzz is something that can be minimized through good tuning and other than that, the bike really does not have any major downsides IMHO. It is a little heavier that you'd like to but in daily life it really does not become to obvious...

Love that thing!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-08-2007, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Yep.

If you don't want to lay out the $16K plus for a new R1200S then a nicely taken care of "pre-owned' R1100S is the way to go. And the bike owners on this board have typically maintained their bikes far better that the average I'd say.

But yes, some are getting the itch after several years to try the "latest & greatest."

Last edited by ckcarr; 06-08-2007 at 02:08 PM..
Old 06-08-2007, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Barback King

tEAZER.....

...cast eyes upon the beauty...

Old 06-08-2007, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
I wont sell you mine! You cant have it!

Old 06-08-2007, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: