Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Da Bomb Bike, San Jose's latest

Shortly after starting their newest Race Bike "DaBomb", Chris rolled it out of the shop and did a nice 100ft wheelie down the street. Without body work, it looks like a Mad Max Bike. We hope to run it for the first time on Saturday at Thunder Hill Raceway. DaBomb is an Unlimited Race Bike. In other words, we will race it in classes where there are no rules on horsepower or modifications. In final trim, it should put out 15 to 20 more horsepower than our MOTO-ST bikes and weigh well under 400# wet. We are talking something on the order of....135 to 145 RWHP. Oh Boy!!

They plan to run the bike this weekend at a track day????, If it is OK, then the following weekend, they plan to run it at Miller in Utah.

They already have an F800S that they are working on for the ST class.

Their 1978 R100RS Bonneville bike is getting a complete make over, They set the current record at 164 and change last year with this bike, Chris is shooting for the low 170's this year at the Bubb meet.

They will be campaining 4 BMW's this year,

R1200S Moto ST bike SST class
R1200S DaBomb bike
F800S Moto ST bike ST class.
1978 R100RS Bonneville bike

This is way too much fun,

Get a load of the pistons in that thing.

The new ultra lite, quick removal nose piece.

www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 06-08-2007, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Thread Killer

That's very cool, Dean! Sounds like at least 20-30 hp over stock. Do you suppose Chris will be offering performance upgrades or even an R1200SJS?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Very nice. I wonder if Chris ever kicks back, and contemplates just how talented he is.... Probably not, no time for such nonsense for racers, when the competition is nipping at... well... the dust way behind your heels.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

who designed/made those pistons?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
can we get the laundry list of mods that allow the R12 to crank out those kinds of ponies!
Old 06-09-2007, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

As long as I have kown Chris, over 30 years BTW, he has always had a project going. I have never known him to sit in an easy chair and just vege out.

Here he is in '77 or '78 building one of our AMA super bikes that was campained all over the US, Daytona, Louden, etc.

Prolly this bike, the winner of the '78 AMA superbike race at Louden, NH.

To answer your question about R1200S performance enhancements, the answer is a very definitely yes. They can and will do all sorts of mods to your R1200S.

The "Da Bomb" bike is the third R1200S race bike they have built and as a result, Chris now knows what works and what doesn't. Forgot who made those pistons, but they are Chris's design and holding them in your hand, they are beautiful works of art.
www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com

Last edited by Deans BMW; 06-09-2007 at 06:20 AM..
Old 06-09-2007, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The pistons tell the whole story. Very on the edge. Love the asymmetrical squish band.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Curve, holding them in your hand, they are like jewelry, you want to put them under glass just to look at.

A little off topic, but ultra cool just the same.

You notice in the pic of Chris working on the '77 bike that it is on a Handy Lift, I rember buying 6 or 7 of them at the time for the shop. Last time I headed east with the racing rig, they loaded up the last remaining origional Handy Lift that I bought some 30 years ago so I could drop it off at the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse that I am building up here in the mountains of Arizona. The lift still works like a charm. At least to me, very special.
www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 06-09-2007, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just recieved word that Chris has a F800S with slicks and the "Da Bomb" bike at Thunder Hill, don't have a clue as to how they are doing however.
www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 06-09-2007, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Dean, Thanks for pics of the good old days. Its good to see the S back in the hunt.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: