Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question regarding high-mounted clip-ons

When I bought my '04 R1100S it came stock with the high (above the triple) mounted clip-ons. I am looking to get a set of low mounted ones but I would like to know if this is a simple switch, or if the forks differ in some way before I buy them.

Does anyone know from experience?

Thanks in advance.

Brent McGrath
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Old 06-08-2007, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Brent, there is no difference in the suspension on either setup. You should be able to mount your existing bars underneath the clamp. Your handlebars probably do not have the low bar alignment tab extension, but it really doesn't matter. The bars will stay in position perfectly fine as long as all the pinch bolts are tight. If you make some type of alignment mark with a felt pen that shows the existing position of the bars relative to the top clamp (rotationally), you can use this mark to get the same bar position when you swap them underneath.

The cables are most likely a little bit longer than the standard low bar version but should not be a problem either. After you swap the bars to the low position and get everything aligned and tightened, check that all the cables and hoses have adequate clearance when moving the bars from side to side.

'98 R1100S - Triple Clamps, 10mm Shortened Telelever
2007 Ducati S2R1000, 2008 KTM 990SDR
Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Cyclone Jack

Garage
Do only one at a time. My dealer moved mine, but it didn'y work with my radar mount.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have to ask, what are the "low bar alignment tabs?"
Old 06-09-2007, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

hey brent, if you do it, and its not too much bother take a few before during and after pics... i was thinking of tryin this some weekend for $hit$ and giggles, then putting it back.... id like to at least see it done though....
Old 06-09-2007, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by RBikesRock
I have to ask, what are the "low bar alignment tabs?"
See the picture below and notice the longer tab with the hole drilled in it for a screw to go through and into the underside of the triple clamp. These holes are plugged:

This one isn't:

Handy-dandy reading material that I found. You can see in red the keywords that I used in the search function (upper right):

relocate bars from high to low
Hi to low bars switch questions
switching to 'comfort bars'
handle bars
Old 06-09-2007, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Many thanks for all the info

All,

Thanks for the prompt replies, and clarifying this for me. I will post pics of the before and after when I get it done.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

i did the high to low swap this morning... really seemed like there was gonna be a trick any minute. things in my life generally arent that easy.

pretty cool really, i think im gonna leave them down for a while, its not as low as i envisioned it feeling.

but now i cantfind my camera wire.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve Carlton
[B]See the picture below and notice the longer tab with the hole drilled in it for a screw to go through and into the underside of the triple clamp. These holes are plugged:

Who makes those anti rotation brackets?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Suburban Machinery.
I have a used set in near perfect condition that I'd let go for $75 if you happened to e interested.,

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-11-2007, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: