Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Brake Line Replacement

There are a number of threads on the forum in regards to line replacement and bleeding, but I didn't find any comments on a step by step tutorial like "Valve Adjusments for Dummies", which was an excellent guide for a newbie like myself.

Does anyone know where I can find a step by step guide to brake fluid replacement and brake line changes? I have the SS lines (front and back), speed bleeders and fluid, but just need a little guidance to get going.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you have speed bleeders it makes it super easy.
Goto one side, undo the bleeder a bit (forget the exact turn ammount, check their website).
Hookup a hose into a jar/can/bottle you dont want anymore.
Take off the brake reservoir lid.
Pump brake lever and add fluid as needed. Make sure not to allow it to get low and suck in air, have to drain whole line again.
Do this until clean fluid comes out.
Tighten bleeder back down and start again with other side.

Go buy a $2.00 turkey baster if worried about spilling fluid, can suck it outa the bottle and squirt it into the reservoir cleanly. Can also be used to easily remove any extra fluid.
1989 K100RS - White/Blue, Remus; 1999 R1100S - Mandarin Orange, Remus, Ohlins; 2007 G650XCountry - Black/Silver, iStorm Luggage - Wilbers 75mm Lowered shock for the wife!; 2003 BCR #57 - Jeff's bike ; 2009 G477X - Akrapovic, WP Trax, SpeedBrain Goodies
2000 ///M5 - Custom Black & Blue, Dinan goodies
Old 06-09-2007, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Yup, that works for non-ABS bikes. If you have the Integral ABS system on your bike...

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf
Old 06-09-2007, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I do not have ABS. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sergio, good catch! I always forget about that ABS thing since mine doesnt have it..
1989 K100RS - White/Blue, Remus; 1999 R1100S - Mandarin Orange, Remus, Ohlins; 2007 G650XCountry - Black/Silver, iStorm Luggage - Wilbers 75mm Lowered shock for the wife!; 2003 BCR #57 - Jeff's bike ; 2009 G477X - Akrapovic, WP Trax, SpeedBrain Goodies
2000 ///M5 - Custom Black & Blue, Dinan goodies
Old 06-09-2007, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
How do you determine which abs system you have? Mines an 01 and after I changed my fluid the ABS lights wont stop flashing and the ABS never engages. My system looks very different from the one in the link. had bleeder screws and everything. Is the front fluid on the handlebar the same that comes out of the ABS unit or are they separate?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

integral ABS partially links front & rear. with an '01, you most likely have non-integrated ABS, with front & rear completely seperate.
when you bleed from the brake calipers, you are not beeding out the ABS system itself, just between the reservoirs and the calipers.
2009 F800GS. has a better saddle. and other stuff. (sold)
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What about the bleeders on the ABS unit? There are two. Does the brake fluid from the calipers ever touch the stuff in the abs unit? I'm wondering if I open the bleeders on the ABS Unit and pump the lever will fresh fluid from the resevior go into the ABS unit.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

if you want to bleed out the ABS system, do that after bleeding the brake lines (at the calipers)- this is according to my big fat Clymer manual. it doesn't state it, but it sounds like it's all the same fluid. It also states that you can bleed the brakes without having to do the ABS system itself- just a normal caliper and reservoir bleeding.
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I 've done the caliper bleed i decided that the abs unit fluid was getting old so I wanted to change out that too. It did start coming out clear when I was "flushing" it
Old 06-11-2007, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ExarKunONe
What about the bleeders on the ABS unit? There are two. Does the brake fluid from the calipers ever touch the stuff in the abs unit? I'm wondering if I open the bleeders on the ABS Unit and pump the lever will fresh fluid from the resevior go into the ABS unit.
Clearly. Just look at things. Each brake line from the masters goes into the ABS unit, then another line exits the unit and goes to the respective caliper(s). Each module bleeder is compartmented for either front or rear. This is why I'm confused with the response to do the unit after the brake lines. Obviously, for a simple bleed proceed as usual, but in doing so you're naturally going through the unit. If you swap out lines or have lots of air, you bleed from the master to the respective bleeder on the unit, and then from the unit down to the caliper. For a reverse bleed, reverse the order.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

OK, I installed the new rear brake lines and had to old school it to bleed the lines. I wasn't sure how the speed bleeders replaced the factory bleed valve since the diamter of the valve originally on the bike is different(much smaller) then the speed bleeder. I got the speed valves from A&S, which they should have sent me the right set. Do you have to take off the larger nut on the caliper as well(the one the valve seats into)?

Now onto the front. The single line bleeding in the rear was logically straight forward. IE. one bleed valve. The front has two, and one of them is a "Filler Adapter". What's the sequence of bleeding both sides? Do I have to have a spare bleed valve for the filler Adapter? Since the rear speed valve I have doesn't fit the rear, I'm assuming it won't fit the filler Adapter either(assuming I'll need to bleed from the right side also). Which brings up another question, if I bleed the filler adapter with a bleed valve, how do you get the bleed valve off from the filler apdater and replace with the hex nut without letting in air?

Here's my plan of attack:
Remove Hex nut from filler adapter.
Prey the speed bleeder fits the filler adapter.
Install speed bleeder in filler adapter.
Drain both calipers.
Replace brake lines with SS braided lines.
Close filler adapter speed bleeder.
Bleed left caliper.
Bleed right caliper.
Remove speed bleeder from filler adapter.
Install hex nut in filler adapter.
Crash bike because I completely F-UP'ed my brakes.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Since you don't have to deal with the ABS it's simple: open speeder, pull lever, fill master, repeat. I would suggest removing and disposing of the "filler" with grub screw and simply replacing it with a bleeder valve. Also, like many bikes, air likes to park itself near the master so I suggest installing a bleeder valve to connect the banjo(s). When done, turn the bar to the left and use a zip lock to pull the lever overnight.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

You could also try bleeding at the master cylinder on the handlebar by cracking the banjo bolt while holding down the lever. Make sure you get all the brake fluid cleaned up though. On our bikes its not an easy spot to clean.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

yeah, remove adapter on R caliper, replace with SpeedBleeder. Bleed R, the L side.
Should be part #SB1010S. If not, then A&S screwed up. Should have been a direct tap in on the rear, so it does leave me wondering.
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The two speed bleeders fit the front left and right just fine. Don't why it's not the same bleeder for the rear??? I complete removed the filler adapter and replaced with the speed bleeder(I kinda had too, since the hex thumb screw stripped when I tried to remove it from the filler adapter). SS lines are in and will go for a ride tomorrow.

Once again, thanks to for all the advice. This forum rules!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by xk49
The two speed bleeders fit the front left and right just fine. Don't why it's not the same bleeder for the rear???
Because the rear is a different size, it's smaller. By A&S I assume ascycles. If so, if you read the small print, they say it will not work on rear caliper. I sized the rear from speedbleeder company info. It doesn't matter much anyway. I think absent some helpful applications, they're largely unnecessary. And the check valve prevents reverse bleeding. That's why I elect not to use them for the calipers, only up top near the master. In any event, glad to hear things went well.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Who needs brakes anyway??

Old 06-12-2007, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: