Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Living on borrowed time!

*sigh*
I remember those 'line of duty determination' days.
Their hearts are in the right place but their heads are up their fourth points of contact.
All the bright reflective doo-dads in the universe won't shake a brain-deead cellphone-deepthroater from her venti latte and her DVD player in the dash.
time for a 'road target' vest....and an honorable discharge.
Like I told the reserve recruiter when I went IRR; "when they swarm ashore at ilwaco, call me and I'll be there with my dad's thompson...until then, don't bother me'.
good luck.

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Cyclone Jack

Garage
To me it's like locking your doors, honestly people confuse them with police type vest, but if someone is braindead, hopefully one is in a defensive riding tact or a very quick rider who gets out of the way fasssssssst. Then again ***** happens no matter what you do, so enjoy each day out there.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mstew6478
+1 JonyRR

I'm a vet and we didn't have such rules when I was a serv'n. Nothing beats common sense motorcycle driving and watching out for the cages.

Oh well, they own your ass when yer in.
'64 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki DRZ 250
Old 06-12-2007, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

The military is trying to figure out how to keep these idiots from killing themselves though. So like any knee jerk they jerk in the wrong direction. These kids come back from deployments with a wad of cash and can buy a bike with more power then they can control. I overheard two airmen talking about buying a bike, one guy = never ridden no license, waiting to take MSF and shopping for a bike. The other guy telling him that a 750 was too small and he'll grow out of it too quick, he should just get a liter bike.
The whole survival of the fittest thing is in effect but after getting their hands on you the military wants their control.
I just talked to a cop on base that said they were thinking of checking ID's and MSF cards at the gates to make sure riders had been through the course. that's a good one!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

MSF is required for anyone that rides onto base. I know they pick up the bill for all military and DOD civilians, have been told spouses/dependants and any other base employee as well.
Have seen a few people that ride on base that dont have it. I had mine before I joined, but I did take the advanced course, even got outa work for 2 days for it!

I prefer no reflective (from the front atleast), I have ridden in LA traffic and learned to read those drivers well, anything shiny or bright that they see at the last minute means they are heading your way, the less they see me before I am passing them the better!

Quote:
Oh well, they own your ass when yer in.
Oh isnt that the truth! :\
1989 K100RS - White/Blue, Remus; 1999 R1100S - Mandarin Orange, Remus, Ohlins; 2007 G650XCountry - Black/Silver, iStorm Luggage - Wilbers 75mm Lowered shock for the wife!; 2003 BCR #57 - Jeff's bike ; 2009 G477X - Akrapovic, WP Trax, SpeedBrain Goodies
2000 ///M5 - Custom Black & Blue, Dinan goodies
Old 06-12-2007, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Boy Wonder
I know what you mean ....i always feel like a tool when I have a vest on....the easiest one to use are regular running vests...like reflective vests for running at night
Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

this thread came at a convienent time for me...not only de we wear vests when walking jobsites, i have occasions for needing a vest to ride onto installations from time to time. found this one at the local performance bike shop (can be ordered too). mesh back, real lightweight and can be stuffed in a jacket pocket. worked great this morning riding to work in the rain.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18097&subcategory_ID=1130

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 06-14-2007, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Matt, what, if anything, did you end up getting?

Old 06-14-2007, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: