Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Purgatory: Heaven won't take me and Hell's afraid I'll take over
Embarrassing LostKeyCaper

Suited up, ready for a quick loop to check mileage and timing of our next BarkingCoyoteAdventure featuring:
Amador County's Mines 'n Vines. (watch for this one, it should be a hoot)

Seated, sidestand down, helmet/gloves on, Visa swiped, pump waiting to "lift nozzle and select grade", tank bag loose and fuel hatch exposed, ... when I removed the key (fancy R1200C blank) to open the hatch, ...

tink, tink, clink, ... but no thunk ... DAMN !

OK, look on ground, look around steering head, ... DAMN !

Dismount, get on hand and knees, look on ground, look at steering head area from below ... DAMN !

Remove gloves/helmet, look at pump "lift nozzle and select grade", look around ... nobody laughing, continue search ...

Try to stuff my fat head into instrument area, peer into nooks and crannies, ... DAMN !

Back on hands and knees, extend ground search to "vicinity" ... DAMN !

Look at pump, "insert card or pay cashier", think "oh great, the next Winebego gets to 'fill it' on my card", ... DAMN !

Resort to rattle/shake/bump stategy, listen for tink ... thunk ... nothing ... DAMN !

Start thinking "Do I have a spare? Where is it? Should I push away from the pump? Am I as dumb as I look?" ... DAMN !

Go into HyperSearch mode; over, under, left, right, fore, aft, for at least 3 laps, ... DAMN !

Admit defeat, search tankbag for spare, ... , ah-ha, stock key swiftly enters ignition, think "I liked that key" ... DAMN !

One final search, think "it's not on the ground ... it's stuck somewhere, if I ride, it will rattle off ... that key cost me $40" ... DAMN !

Look at pump, watch other bikes rumble by, ride away on empty in-case the tank has to come off, ride back home, ... DAMN!

Open garage, park it, notice other bikes thinking "that was quick ... what's wrong ... loose your little key?" ... DAMN !

"It's too late to tear into you today, but your not going to win, next weekend ... OFF WITH YOUR PLASTIC" !

So today, off came the left Tupperware, out came the flashlights, probes, mirrors and magnets. Look over, under, in, out, ... nothing. "What the heck?" "Did somebody find my fancy key right under the pump and think 'why would someone leave this behind'?" Look deeper. Start to prepare for right Tupperware removal, then the tank ... This thing will NOT BEAT ME!

Then I took a quick glance at the guages for the time. "What's that ... You've GOT to be kidding me ...

There it was. Quietly waiting on the upper cowl support:

I'm not emarrassed for loosing the key, it's for letting that little son-of-a-#$@% keeping me from riding.

Last edited by KeepTheShineyPartUp.com; 06-12-2007 at 09:23 AM..
Old 06-09-2007, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
That was a good one.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
....outsch!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-10-2007, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Dont taunt happy fun ball

Send a message via AIM to AndrewA
Excellent story!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
nice racerx sticker. i've got the whole season set in a baggie....somewhere....can't remember where i put them....but they gotta be somewhere, right?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

that's the exact spot where i zip-tied my spare, oops. well not exactly there!
great story, losing things makes me lose my mind... more.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quick update:
Last week's KeyCaper was a false start.

This weekend I tried again. Same mission, same fuel station, same pump, same routine ... gloves/helmet on, card swiped, yada ...yada ...yada

I held on to the key. But I noticed how hard it must have worked to:

slide down the support post, land on the horizontal gusseting and not budge while it vibrated home.

Now, I REALLY like that key!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
one more trick you can teach it:
after refueling, fumble around with the gas cap a little bit. bounce it on it's hinges so that the key pops out and leaps down into the fuel tank.

don't ask how i know. i just do.

(ps: did you know that those little flexible metallic pick-up tools are worth their weight in gold sometimes?).
Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bradzdotcom
nice racerx sticker. ...
I like the "Hwy 1" look of this one.

Hangtown and I go way back. Remember the Plymouth Sand track? I'll bet you and I rubbed plastic on Sportsman Day. I was the last guy riding a Husky when the starting line was filled with YZ's and CR's. The local boys and I would work the track for a week, ride on Sportsman day, flag a turn for the Pro's, then try to survive the hangover at work for a month.

I lost interest when it moved, 1979?, to McGills (Prairie City). But when I do show up; one of my "Diggers" buddies tries to hand me a hose or a flag, I shrug, he still lets me in, I think out of pity.

It's a Mega Event and the racing is spectacular. But gone are the bon fires, the mini-bike-with-maxi-engine races, and that "local event" smell.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Glad you found the key. Was an interesting story none-the-less. We are all in the same boat...glad to know that we can look in another place for a lost key......
Old 06-14-2007, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
shiney~
the original track was always the best, even that year that it rained miserably on us. i think i went all of three laps that moto, and still got a decent finish out of it.
i've been to prairie city....definitely not the same at all.
i see the dirt digger guys all the time...they come to a lot of the other nationals. they're not only one of the oldest motocross clubs in the country, i believe they sport the highest percentage of handlebar moustaches and beards.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Barback King

..dat vas F-unny! I thought only that krap happened to me...
I keep a spare hanging under the plastic on a caribeener (sp?) cuz I just knw the day will come...and now you guys know where my hidden key is.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Do not take too seriously

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Doogie Howser
Glad you found the key. Was an interesting story none-the-less. We are all in the same boat...glad to know that we can look in another place for a lost key......
No we aren't.

Mine's got a lanyard with a quick release buckle as a key chain. It either in the ignition switch, on the gas cap, in my hand or handing around my neck on the lanyard. No other options. Ever.

An ignition key w/o a key chain is just asking to lose it. My lanyard is bright orange. When disconnected from the part around my neck, there is a 4" part hanging at the key. It's not heavy, so it doesn't scratch. But it can't hide in nooks and crannies and it is highly visible.

That said, I do have the blank key taped to the inside of my registration papers. Which are always in inner pocket of my jacket. Just in case.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 06-15-2007, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Barback King

...yer makin' my butt pucker...

Old 06-15-2007, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: