Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

RA Rally update

Ran into only a few Pelican Members at the Biltmore House in Asheville NC.
I don't know what the total head count was, but there were a mess of people there from all over. It was way to big for my liking, but thats just me. The estimates were from 3600 to 4600 people, thats not my count. Anyway there were lots of folks there.
It was good seeing Bob Hanncock, Dan Green and Mike K.
Got some good riding in today with Chris K and Shawn. Hard not to have a good day of riding in the NC. Mountains.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I thought you and Denise were on your way to Canada?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Bill, We will be leaving on the 20th of June. Denise has been really hitting the maps . Thanks for the route info I think she'll really enjoy the ride . Hope things are well?

This rally was enough to drive me west, into those wide open spaces!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Dee, nice crib shot. :-) That Vanderbilt dude did pretty good, well for someone so young, anyway. Hate I missed it. I did not know the RA was as large as it is. Welcome back.
Lane
Old 06-10-2007, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Lane , the first group I met on the top of 183 and 221 was 6 guys down from Quebec, I don't think they really new what to think. There were also alot of flat landers there that had never been on mountainous roads. Anyway theres lots of talk about moving to Carolina . These mountains are becoming pretty busy these days. So we've got it good here in Carolina.
By the way that Vanderbilt dude had a rough life.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Rough life? Are you serious. I though he was just a member of the lucky sperm club and just kinda hung looking for hoe`s. :-)

Lane
Old 06-10-2007, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm quite bummed I couldn't find any pelicanners. Left a message on the Bob Hancock cell but alas, I reckon he's a cingular customer or some other such victim of "non service" like m'self. (Got the number from "Got Road" who didn't make it due to something that came up un-expectedly)

Dee, glad to see you hooked up with Shawn and Chris K.

Here's sampling of some stuff I saw.

Cool deco building after supper

Asheville water hole from the BRP

Italy? NAW!, It's NC!

Obligitory bike in mountains shot:

Bamboo @ Biltmore.

Moss on rock

Did LOTS of riding. Saw a few S bikes but, every time I asked somebody if they hung out here all I got was "Hnuh?" Once I splained about the board they all pledged to come visit so, if there's an influx of noobs I'm partially responsible.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

A few more shots:

Biltmore grounds

Excues me sir, there's no photograpy allowed inside the house...

The backyard...

WHere's lake Como?

Almost home. (The bridge on 28)

Old 06-11-2007, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Hey itch...

I did finally get your message and heard your phone number but didn't write it down because I was afraid to bite off the end of my finger....no pencil. Then my phone wouldn't give me a caller id cos it got the message. Basically, Verizon was not a "hear me know" service up there and I am an idiot. Those two factors where deadly.
Dan and Mike K and I were camped all the way back towards the horses under a big tree. Dee found us inspite of my ineptitude. I had the red/white/blue pop up there so was hoping you would seek us out. Sorry we passed in the crowd.
I was glad to be riding with two North Carolina RoadMasters. We went on some great roads....one pretty bad one which I won't mention, but 99% great. But all great weather and riding and I stopped by the Ohlins tent and they fixed my settings. I was reading the book upside down evidently. More on that when I get home. Love the Ohlins on this bike.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

[img] Here's how I found the Hanncock Camp http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads10/hawk+41841181584632.jpg[/img]
Old 06-11-2007, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I enjoyed the experience I left Saturday after seeing the house from the outside and the gift shops up there. Enjoyed all too brief conversations with Bob, Dan and Mike. I really like riding by myself or with one other bike. Had great repeat trip up 421 thru Blowing Rock. Got zero tickets nor hit any animals larger than 6 legged winged ones.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Bob, Dan and Mike,

I really enjoyed the hospitality at Camp Hancock on Friday and the hook-up for the run on Saturday. I can do without the diesel fuel on the twisties. I got enough handicaps already. The ride back to Tryon and the Bike House was leisurely and cool along the BRP no leo's or traffic. I love the S-- especially since I got the Throttlemeister on it for the straight and level moments. Dan, I tire was well into the wear bars when I got to Tryon plus I picked up a nail along the way. I left the bike in Tryon and pulled the rear for a reload.

Mike, I'm glad i got to meet you. I'll make a run up to your shop in the near future. Dan, I enjoyed your sharing the boyhood memories at the old gas station.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

my decision to come over to the Rally was 'spur of the moment', but I sure am glad I did.

15 minutes after arriving at Camp Hancock, we were off and running, straffing the backroads, chasing the curves.

Not only did I get to ride with my old buddies, but I also rode with new friends, Bubba, Ken, & John.

"another day in the garden"
KDX200
Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Sorry for the late post

but I'm late on everything else....might as well be late on this.
Here's a pic of seventies man who stopped by to visit our camp.
Great to meet you Martin.

And then after a great ride in the mountains, Dan Greene, being a southern man born of southern tradition, was looking for an RC and a Moon Pie. He found it on the sidewalk outside the Shell station! Happy, but not a thief, he just pointed it out and admired it.

Don't believe me? Close up!

And here's a pic for Steve C so's he can see what he's missin' not buying a Chevy truck.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thanks Bob, that moon pie looks great. Iknow that wasn't dinner.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: