Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

rear tire disappearing - suspension question

I've noticed several times that on sharp turns (hairpin, 1st or 2nd gear, aggressive riding) the rear tire slips a bit and feels like it disappears for a moment on my r12s. This happens under acceleration in the turn not during braking. I'm on the throttle but not too crazy with it. I've noticed this behavior since the bike was new. Stock M1s.

I assume that this means the rear is too unweighted but one would think that under acceleration the rear would be weighted enough not to slip.

What kind of suspension adjustment would help this (keep the rear tire more stable in these conditions)?

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by swillcox; 06-11-2007 at 06:51 PM..
Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Steve, before you go 'tweeking' your suspension, just a few questions;
What is your front and rear tire pressure cold,(check in the morning while the bike is in the garage).
Sound to me like your pressure is to high. Remember that these bike have a near flat torque curve and the bike will deliver power to the ground faster than in line 4's.
Try reducing your pressure to 32 front and 34 rear.

what type of stock suspension do you have, and what type of adjustments can you do. Most stock bmw suspensions have only limited adjustments,(including the Ohlins that come with the bike).
jeff
95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ditto the above.
Also, a classic sign of too much rebound.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-11-2007, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
I know you said you don't go 'crazy' with the throttle, but if the suspension is fine (optimal) in other types of turns then perhaps you are at the limits of the tire's adhesion for those specific types of turns. A hairpin turn will require more grip for turning than other turns (ie, sweepers) and of course accelerating out of a hairpin asks the tire to both turn and accelerate. You only have so much traction at any one point in time. Is it that these hairpins demand much more grip or is the throttle just overdrafting the your traction account? Then again, a slight adjustment in tire pressures may alleviate the entire issue.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sergio,
maybe their is a miscommunication,like me, between the brain and the wrist. I know I feel like I'm going faster than my wrist is telling me.
BTW,
you bringing your new flame to the shindig, are you afraid???????
don't worry, we still love you and will respect you in the morning,(unlike arbik).
cya soon my friend
jeff
Old 06-11-2007, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Switch to M3's and let the M1's be a memory.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Williams
Steve, before you go 'tweeking' your suspension, just a few questions;
What is your front and rear tire pressure cold,(check in the morning while the bike is in the garage).
Sound to me like your pressure is to high. Remember that these bike have a near flat torque curve and the bike will deliver power to the ground faster than in line 4's.
Try reducing your pressure to 32 front and 34 rear.

what type of stock suspension do you have, and what type of adjustments can you do. Most stock bmw suspensions have only limited adjustments,(including the Ohlins that come with the bike).
jeff
I have 32psi front and 36psi rear. I'll take the rear down for 34psi.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Williams

jeff
I have the Ohlins. I never adjusted them to my weight. I weight about 155 pounds plus the leathers and I believe the factory suspension setting is for 180.? I'm planning to adjust the suspension on Saturday when I have someone to help with it. So, I was trying to do some homework before hand...

Last edited by swillcox; 06-12-2007 at 07:56 AM..
Old 06-12-2007, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Curve
Switch to M3's and let the M1's be a memory.
That will be my next tire.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

When I ran M-1's coming out of the corner I would leave a 3-4foot black mark,(heavy handed). Dr.C is right about upgrading to a more modern tire. IMO you should also look at the Pilot Power CT-2,(dual compound tire) and the new pirelli Super corsa. The pilot power is a great rain,dirty road all round tire that has some stickyness to it,(like the M-3).
But I've been running the new pirelli and this tire is the best, bar none, tire I've ever run. I've got 2000 miles on the rear and it looks to be able to handle another 500 miles at least. My former tires,(Super corsa Dragons), would last only 1800 miles. For me sticky is better.
jeff
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by swillcox
That will be my next tire.
I'd also consider the Pilot Power 2CT.
'09 CBR1000RR (w/pegs & bars, now my touring bike)
'10 S1000RR & '07 R1200S (gone, but loved 'em)
Old 06-13-2007, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
Be smoother with your throttle application! Maybe hang off more to get the bike off the side of the tire, drop your head on the exit.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ExarKunONe
Be smoother with your throttle application! Maybe hang off more to get the bike off the side of the tire, drop your head on the exit.
I don't think I'm giving it too much throttle for what this bike should be able handle. However, I could always improve on all the other things you mention. From what everyone has contributed here in this thread, I think it's a combo of the tire pressure, the M1 tire, and the suspension needing to be tuned to my weight and riding style, and yes - it's probably my skills as well (I'll be at Miller Motorsports Park with the California SuperBike school at the end of this month so I hope to learn some good stuff there).

- Steve
Old 06-13-2007, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

> I don't think I'm giving it too much throttle for what this bike should be able handle.

Just keep an open mind on that. Under the right conditions, I can spin up my 7hp mini racer's rear end and make it step out.

In fact, if it behaved as you described, then it was by definition too much throttle. All the suspension and tire tweaks will just push the threshhold up a bit.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-13-2007, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
Also I didnt say use less, I said be more smooth when you pick up the throttle. I've never ridden a R12s but it has a lot o horses and I'm sure will require a gentle touch.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ExarKunONe
Also I didnt say use less, I said be more smooth when you pick up the throttle. I've never ridden a R12s but it has a lot o horses and I'm sure will require a gentle touch.
Got it. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: