Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
President - Okie Chapter

Missouri weekend

We made this short video on our last trip to Lake of the Ozarks.
BTW - Great ride.
Vote for it and I'll get some kind of a weekend out of it.

Missouri Video

I'll be up at Crane Missouri for the BMW rally the 22nd thru the 24th. Hope to see a few of you up there.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

BMathison,With a little luck I may be there. It is a conflict with a family reunion, however my wife keeps asking if I am going to the rally. This one doesnt have the turnout like the Falling Leaf, but its a good location. Close to wswartz territory so there is a lot of choices for good roads. So I may see you there.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I need a break, I may ride up Friday afternoon. I have never been to that event. What is it like???
Old 06-18-2007, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

It's in the city park in Crane. There is a strem running along the south side. Some camping is shaded, and its mostly level and grassy. Like any of these rallies its the company you get that makes it good. Its kind of a no frills type of event. They do have a nice Sat night meal, and ithink they had a breakfast prepped by local fire dept last year. I think Harm is going, but I'm not yet sure if I can attend. If you & Brad are there it sure makes it more tempting.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
I'm tempted as well...I'll have to ask the Wifey about it though. My Mom lives in Kimberling City about an hour south of Crane...Wifey and Daughter could stay there while I'm at the Rally...now there's a plan.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 06-18-2007, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I will have to leave Sat afternoon to cover some responsibilities I have here... but hope to be there early Friday evening, Camp Friday night, ride some Sat. then head home.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've mentioned this to Denise, she's running the show. Were heading that way, so we may just pop in. It would be great to see you guys again. Thanks for the post and the Email BMathison
Old 06-19-2007, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
About a 100 miles from me, will see if the boss lets me take time off.
Jim
Old 06-19-2007, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Stupid me I completely forgot that my Wife's B-Day is this weekend...OOOOOPPS. Daughter also has Church Band practice.

I hope everyone has a good ride and a good time.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 06-19-2007, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Well, much to my good fortune, I will be going to this event. Sure would be great if all or any of you who have posted on this thread can be there. A former RT rider friend just traded it for a used 1100S and will be going on its first trip with it. So....who's going?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I will be there around 3:30-4:00 Friday afternoon.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The HD buyer is due in at 10 or so Friday night. I'm planning on breakfast in Crane Saturday.
Jim
Old 06-22-2007, 03:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

unsafe at any speed

Had a great time. Good seeing Brad Mathison, Bill Mundis, Bill Ralston, and Jim Eickman again. Ralston is now riding an "S" so we didn't abandon him at the gas stop like we did at the Falling leaf Rally..

I left Conway a little later than planned so I took 65 north up toward Springfield, Mo. Just north of Marshall one of my favorite parts of 65 is gone... divided highway cut through the mountains has replaced the twisty tarmac, and they had huge machines grinding up the old highway and spitting it into a dump truck like a combine spewing wheat.

Clear skies most of the way up. hwy 160 west had some sections that were being resurfaced. sprayed with oil, then loose gravel poured on top.. Always fun to ride on.. I arrived at the Crane City park at around 5:00... with out a doubt, the nicest place to camp I have ever seen for a rally...

I saw BMathison's bike while I was registering

And finally located him at the dinner table

I was able to get served some food before Mundis showed up... He has been known to grab up whatever is available, with no thought of others... I believe they call it being Mundised in some circles....

Bill Ralston who was riding an RT has been lurking over here at PP for some time, and finally made the good decision to buy an "S" he found a very nice one, that was probably orphaned by some unfaithful soul to buy a R1200S..

Old 06-24-2007, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Short video of the ride from hwy 65 to Crane, MO.

video the ride up

Saturday morning, after a great breakfast of eggs and sausage cooked up by the Crane, MO. Fire Dept at the rally site, we gathered the pelican S's up for a small spirited pace, group ride down into Arkansas. On2wheels52 did not join us, because he brought his 650Dakar... He has ridden with us before, so I am guessing he wanted an excuse to find a more relaxed group to ride with.... even though he is plenty fast in the corners.

We had some rain shortly after we left and encountered light rain on and off throughout Sat. Morning

video Hwy21

Hwy 23 was much drier since it is covered by trees and is like riding through a tunnel

video Hwy23

We stooped for lunch at Turner Bend

After lunch I headed back home to take care of some responsibilities, and the other 3 headed back to the rally site. Friday, Brad arrived from Tulsa to the rally alone, and said his so called friends bailed on him at the last minute... During our lunch stop he said he needed to get back to the rally site to meet some more (imaginary?) so called friends. Be careful around Brad, I think he is one of those "loners" He smokes a big cigar... and could be with the "mob" for all I know...

Old 06-24-2007, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Great Ride Report Swartzy...wish I coulda been there...next month to the TOR!
Old 06-24-2007, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The Internet buyer of my un-redeemed HD was to have shown up Friday night or I'd have been in Crane for supper that night.
insert sob story
I got on the road before six and got to the park by eight, said 'hi' to the S riders.
View on the way, it ain't da west but it's ok for me.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads10/Crane+0011182727046.jpg[/img]
For whatever reason, I took the little GS. The guys had a sporting ride planned out, I'd have been pressed to keep up even on the 1100. They left while I was finishing breakfast. No dual-sport ride was scheduled so I made my own way, did about 80 miles in four hours. I found a quiet spot to spend the night but elected to return to the campground for the evening.
[img]
Got up with the train, was home by 8:00. Thanks for the good time.
Jim
Old 06-24-2007, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I am sure I missed a great camp Sat. night Jim... I went off and left my folding chair for you to use though...

Yeah I had some folks tell me the train whistle was loud.. I slept with my ear buds in friday night and never heard the train..

One of the guys in our group did a little dual sporting too... I didn't see it, but heard some locals helped him push it back up the ditch, on the the road. No scratches on the bike, He should have told us he stopped for a smoke break when we went back looking for him...

Last edited by wswartzwel; 06-24-2007 at 03:56 PM..
Old 06-24-2007, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Almost forgot this video... Tranquil campsite stream...

tranquil camp stream with birds singing
Old 06-24-2007, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I had a great time this weekend at Crane! The ride with Bill Swartzwelder, Brad Mathison & Bill Mundis was a lot of fun and a real eye opener as to how well these R1xxxS can handle the curves and that there is a lot of room for improvement on my riding skills. What a group! Glad that Jim Eickman showed up, met him last year at Potosi and enjoyed talking with him again.

2002 R1150 RT - gone but not forgotten
2001 R1100 S
Old 06-24-2007, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

This was truly a great weekend. Good friends, good riding, good times. Ihave been to this rally several times and it just gets better. To the south aregreat Missouri roads at the threshhold of Arkansas magic darpet of asphalt. No better roads anywhere! Only problem...so many roads...sooo little time.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: