Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

tip of kick stand scraping at track day

OK I'm not light at 210lbs but I was quite surprised when the tip of the kick stand scraped the pavement before the foot peg feelers. This happend a couple of times on an up hill left hand turn at TX Motorsports Ranch during the Lonestar track event last Friday. Any body else experience this on an 1100S Boxercup Rep?

It was my first track day and it was fun!!

1970 Honda CT 70
Old 06-13-2007, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Pretty normal. I've seen it there before.
I saw a boxercup prep there and was going to come by and say hi, but I was pretty busy taking care of suspension customers and getting ready for the race the next day. Still thought I might find time, but after a get-off, slide, and then tumble exiting the rattlesnake, I was pretty occupied trying to rebuild the bike, get a boot replaced, and icing the old leg. I'll try and look you up next time there

later
roger

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-13-2007, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...it sometimes happens to me if the bike (shocks) get compressed in the apex or just before... i.e. either a dip, opening the throttle or such... I have had it happen to me just this weekend with the centerstand twice... not with the sidestand, but I guess the underlying principle is the same!?

I will remove the centerstand for that reason... no matter what it is that touches the ground, I do not like the sound of hard parts griding... if I want that, I'll ride the sportster...

You might want to consider taking the sidestand off for trackdays (get a rear wheel stand) or move it up a little by grinding the upper stop down...
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Roger, I didn't realize you were there! I was there just for the track day Friday on the 1.3 mile track and if it was the blue and white bike you saw then it was me. Hope your leg is healing up well.

I running the stock suspension right now and trying to optimize it as much as possible.
1970 Honda CT 70
Old 06-13-2007, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I think you should stiffen the suspension a little if you can. A couple of clicks and give it another try if you are still grinding then maybe upgrade your suspenders.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi,

Yes, I saw your bike there. I gather you street guys were running the new short course. Very tight and fun. It pushes your suspension a bit with lots of elevation and loading changes. Teaches you to trust yourself around blind corners pretty well too. Good little track.

We were running the larger 1.7 since that's where the race was the next morn and remainder of the weekend. Had to run my underpowered B-bike, but still got a 1st and a 2nd and had a couple good dices, so except for needing an entire new front end, and messed up knee, it was still a good weekend.

I'm generally in attendance for all Ridesmart days, and the LSTD ones immediately before a CMRA race weekend.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-13-2007, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
real bikes don't have sidestands.
real bikes have pit stands or "wheel stands" and umbrella girls.
real bikes have a guy who works on it an average of 20 hours for every hour it's ridden. he's called a "mechanic" and he never, ever even gets to ride "his" bike.
and (gasp!) real bikes don't have stock suspension!

ps: i really, really miss "real" bikes. wish i had one. maybe someday, again......on second thought....nah.....too high maintenance, plus i'm too old, too fat and too smart to go through all that again. (despite the rumor about a 50+ year old supermoto class coming my way).
Old 06-13-2007, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

...closing in on our "senior citizen card"... are we, Brad? LOL

I am actually looking at the Duc Supermotard... can't wait to test drive it... SIGH. I knw I shouldn't...
Old 06-13-2007, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
i'm seriously thinking of forging a senior citizen card.
can't be hard to do. getting tired of paying full pop at the local hometown buffet, surrounded by folks with no teeth who don't use salt.

already have the gray hair. i should be able to pass tech.

(stay away from supermoto bikes. as jeff williams and i both found out, it shreds at least 20+ years off of you....forces you to act irresponsible, have fun, giggle, grin, do wheelies, stoppies, back-it-into-corners, etc....it's not a motorcycle, it's a time machine).
Old 06-13-2007, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

...say ow!

I have seen some videos on the new Duc and it looks fun! The only drawback is the 3.3 gal. tank... but hey, there are enough gas stops in our backyard...

I love the whole "shedding 20+ years of me"... though, the last time I did that, racing a friend on dirt bikes, it broke my left clavicle and took 2 surgeries and 2 plates to fix it...

...I kinda broke the first plate the put in...
Old 06-13-2007, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Roger - Yeah we ran the 1.3 which was very new to me and a lot of fun. I've run the 1.7 a few times however that was in a car. Glad your weekend came together for you after your tumble.

I may have to touch base with you regarding suspension for the 1100S at some point however I've spent my suspension funds for the year on the Triumph Trophy.

Hey you guys giving me grief about a kick stand; I had to have some way of standing it up after the track runs and going back and forth to and from the class room sessions. There might be some more adjustment in the kickstand stop also to give a bit more clearance.

Besides my not real bit was on the track
1970 Honda CT 70
Old 06-14-2007, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 2004 boxercup

Hey you guys giving me grief about a kick stand; I had to have some way of standing it up after the track runs and going back and forth to and from the class room sessions.
That's what the side of vans and buildings are for.
they make great temporary bike holder-uppers, however i've learned that the buildings, in comparision to somebody's van, have less propensity to up and drive off.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bradzdotcom
That's what the side of vans and buildings are for.
they make great temporary bike holder-uppers, however i've learned that the buildings, in comparision to somebody's van, have less propensity to up and drive off.
That reminds me of the scene in "Jay & Silent Bob Stike Back" where Marshall Willenholly (Will Ferrel) rides up to a crime scene on a moped, slow crashes into the side of a van, and then just leaves the moped leaned up against the van.

Former bikes: '93 R100R, '93 K1100LT, '02 R1150RT, '03 K1200GT, '97 F650ST
Old 06-15-2007, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: