Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Deer update

Firstly, Jim, I'm sorry we could not hook up. My rescue trailer man Brian was confused by your card, pocketed it, then realized at 11:00am when we were riding up to get the bike, what it was about. I'm going to give you a call sometime soon. Your efforts to help are greatly appreciated.

About 44 hours after the strike, I picked up my bike in Robert's driveway. He was gone, but hopefully he found the case of beer still cold. I snapped one of the deer. Scaling is poor, but the torso was about the size of a human, so I'd say 170-200, but then that's without the head or legs. Not full grown, but big enough to hurt. Notice, signit, how much that gash looks like the same shape as that headlight you sent me? :S

I would have liked to have done a JB Weld to have one of those heroic ADVRider style tales. But upon closer inspection, it looks like it might have been trickier (doable, but tricker) as the valve cover has completely factured, not just ground through.

The rest of the ugly. Note that I cannibalized my swingarm-bearing-needy '99 for front end parts taken by the turkey. It doesn't show, but the cage is smooshed to the left (again) and the right side panel is popped up, not seated anywhere into the tank's fairing. I can fit my arm into the space between tank and fairing right now.

The front hook on the saddlebag has sheared off, so I need to replace the inner half of the bag.

Mirror glass is g-o-n-e. The whole front looks better in this shot than it is.

In the least likely of places (Mountain Home) I wouldn't have expected the presence of the Pelican. How surprised I was to find the omen. Jim, hope things are well.

Last edited by Sideshow_S; 06-13-2007 at 09:18 PM..
Old 06-13-2007, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thanks for the updates. Heal quickly and look forward to your pictures of bikes in nice places and not bikes in nice pieces. Pelicans are everywhere it seems.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Major battle scars, and I was whining about the CF fender replacement when I hit one (waaay smaller Bambi than yours).
I trust the Seafood's fare was better than across the street, although I do breakfast there some.
Glad you made it back home OK, I hope the incident doesn't deter you from giving another go to the area and we can get together.
Jim
Old 06-14-2007, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
evil bastard

Congratulations on surviving.

Too bad for the deer.

We suck.

P.S.
I realize only a handful of people (if any) would agree with me, but we are completely redundant on this planet.

http://www.pixelnitrate.com/upload/papiroflexia_web.mov
Old 06-14-2007, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Top of the Valley

Yeah, but deer taste good!
Old 06-14-2007, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...+1 on the "nothing major happened to you and that's the most important thing!"!

The rest is hopefully fixable... I do not have a light anymore though
You seem to go through those way to fast anyway, it seems... also, it that really the "new" signal pod I see trashed there??? SNIFF

I received the cage, let me know how you want to handle this, as it will be a little until I have the time to tear into my bike...
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-14-2007, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thread Killer

Do you have full coverage insurance? Maybe the bike is totaled and you should just get paid off.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

No. Liability only. My take on insurance is that any claim gets paid off in the long run. No need to up my rates so relatively early in life.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

i gotta ask. sorry.

sideshow, when you walk through the park, do birds and squirels gather around you? or is it just turkeys and deer?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...LMAO... you guys are MEAN!!! Both of you!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-14-2007, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have a similar vehicle insurance strategy, though incidents like that can make you wonder. Not for everyone, basically once you've made it ten years or so without without pronging something (and have invested your premium savings) you can afford to eat one once in a while.
Jim
Old 06-15-2007, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

On2wheels: I know we have debated this before, I have a $3000 rule on anything. If its over 3000 in value It stays insured, under it goes without. I pay for my bikes up front and used to go w/o insurance until a few years ago a truck blew a tire in front of me and I had to go in the grass at 60-70 mph in the rain( thank god for dirt bike riding) I kept it up got home and put full coverage on my bike, at about $150 more per year for me. I have a clean record and I`m 41 so some people may pay more. It would take about 40 years of acident free riding for it to wash-out for me. Thank god side show survived. Deer kill alot of people. Alot of people die in car/deer crashes too. Cause airplane mishaps also.

Just curious, was it very early or after 7:00 pm. Its seems like that when I always see them. They scare the piss out of me.

Regards,
Lane

Regards,
Lane
Old 06-15-2007, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Lane
I've inflation adjusted more than you, $10k for me (and none of my bikes are worth that much).
Jim

Old 06-16-2007, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: